Cleaning inside rear view camera / replace head unit or cam?

Cleaning inside rear view camera / replace head unit or cam?

Postby eehgil on Sat, 10 Dec 2022 10:04 +0000

One of the things I was looking forward to befor buying my 2013 Hilux was to finaly have an reversing camera. There was some diaspointment when I discovered that the image quality was so low that it is hardly uasable, and that it is placed in such a way that I can not see the towbar.

Question:
-I suspect that it is som dirt inside the glas/lens of my camera. Anyone know if it is possible / easy to dismantle and clean?

-Is it the camera itself that limits the image quality or the stock head unit?

Anyone replaced the camera and used the stock head unit and got improvement?

Anyone replaced the head unit and used the stock camera and got improvement?

Thanks for replues
eehgil

Re: Cleaning inside rear view camera / replace head unit or

Postby bob14hilux on Sun, 11 Dec 2022 5:25 +0000

Nothing is wrong with the image from my 2014 hilux reversing camera.

Maybe yours is after market

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Bob

Build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23413

If beer and women are not the answer then you are asking the wrong question
bob14hilux

Postby dave g on Sun, 11 Dec 2022 6:11 +0000

My 2013 is clear stock head unit and camera apart from a scratch on the lens anybody have a way to polish it out
dave g

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 11 Dec 2022 6:22 +0000

dave g wrote:My 2013 is clear stock head unit and camera apart from a scratch on the lens anybody have a way to polish it out

Scratch on a lens? Take it to an optometrist or camera shop, if they can't fix they'll know the right gear to get for the job.
Rob_Wood

Postby eehgil on Tue, 13 Dec 2022 5:30 +0000

I think all is stock

eehgil

Postby bob14hilux on Tue, 13 Dec 2022 7:00 +0000

Bloody cold there.

Yes, looks stock to me as well. That is a horrible image on your screen, couldn't possibly be normal.

I would be pulling the camera out, maybe remove the panel on the inside of the tailgate to get at it, and clean everything, and see if you can realign it to where it should be pointing.

If that doesn't fix, then I would be looking at replacing the camera if it were mine, because that image is unusable.
Bob

Build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23413

If beer and women are not the answer then you are asking the wrong question
bob14hilux

Postby Myralga on Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:23 +0000

bob14hilux wrote:Bloody cold there.

Yes, looks stock to me as well. That is a horrible image on your screen, couldn't possibly be normal.

I would be pulling the camera out, maybe remove the panel on the inside of the tailgate to get at it, and clean everything, and see if you can realign it to where it should be pointing.

If that doesn't fix, then I would be looking at replacing the camera if it were mine, because that image is unusable.
X2 for pull down and clean.
Do you have any mates with the same ute or similar age. As I suspect your cam is the issue. If not the cam then the wiring. Because if everything else on your screen is fine like the radio etc I would say it’s the cam input not the screen itself.
Quick swap check would be the easiest way to determine if that’s the problem.
I did install my own cam here in Australia (genuine toyota kit) as it wasn’t factory for my ute.
Correct me if I’m wrong here but I’m 80% certain there is a connection in the first 1-2m plus the camera connection itself.

But yours definitely looks to be a factory install so might be a different harness directly in the main harness been a long time since I played with a Ute around the 13 mark.

Check and clean all the connections on the camera harness also. Who knows might make a difference. Might have got moisture in somewhere etc. snow and ice are great at doing things most Aussies just aren’t used to seeing and dealing with here as it’s rare for most of us to get to play in the snow regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby eehgil on Wed, 21 Dec 2022 3:40 +0000

Thanks for answers.

A couple of days ago I actually took the camera out. It is quite easy after removing the panel inside the tailgate. However, I was not able to clean the camera any more than when it is mounted on the car. I opened the camera itself, but it was not possible to access he lens/inside of the glas. And there was also a gasket involved that was very difficult to get back into position. So I think I actually will recommend not to open it.

When I have time I will continue to check the connections on the harness further forward.
eehgil

Return to Electrical