Indicator Stalk Troubles

Indicator Stalk Troubles

Postby Troutman on Tue, 23 Aug 2022 3:07 +0000

Recently changed my flasher relay (8-pin located up underneath dash), due to the LED turn signals on the bulbar making it flash fast. After installing it all seemed well, however, whenever using the indicator to turn left (pushing stalk up), after turning the stalk flicks back down quick enough that the right indicator will turn on shortly (standard 3 flashes). This issue however does not occur turning right (pushing stalk down), or when manually cancelling being careful not to just fling it down. I figure this must either be an issue with the stalk itself or the relay (as I never noticed this issue prior to the replacement relay).

Any help would be appreciated :D
Troutman

Re: Indicator Stalk Troubles

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 23 Aug 2022 9:04 +0000

Highly doubtful it's the relay, most likely something to do with the spring loading in the indicator arm. Most auto sparks will know how to handle it if you don't feel confident.
Rob_Wood

Postby Troutman on Wed, 24 Aug 2022 5:18 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:Highly doubtful it's the relay, most likely something to do with the spring loading in the indicator arm. Most auto sparks will know how to handle it if you don't feel confident.

Cheers mate, ill have a mess around with it, might end up getting an auto spark to do it or might be cheaper to get one from a wreckers.
Troutman

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 25 Aug 2022 11:42 +0000

Troutman wrote:
Rob_Wood wrote:Highly doubtful it's the relay, most likely something to do with the spring loading in the indicator arm. Most auto sparks will know how to handle it if you don't feel confident.

Cheers mate, ill have a mess around with it, might end up getting an auto spark to do it or might be cheaper to get one from a wreckers.

Never hurts to "Ask". If you ask them for a quote then you'll have an idea whether to seek a second opinion or not.
Rob_Wood

Postby Troutman on Fri, 26 Aug 2022 1:10 +0000

So ended up dropping past my local auto spark, worked out it is something to do with the new flasher relay, says its uncommon but has happened before, he reckons only remedy is to use original relay but install load resistors (which in my opinion is not ideal but will solve the issue). Interesting to see has I've heard plenty of people replace the relay and haven't heard of a similar issue to mine.
Troutman

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 26 Aug 2022 3:47 +0000

Troutman wrote:So ended up dropping past my local auto spark, worked out it is something to do with the new flasher relay, says its uncommon but has happened before, he reckons only remedy is to use original relay but install load resistors (which in my opinion is not ideal but will solve the issue). Interesting to see has I've heard plenty of people replace the relay and haven't heard of a similar issue to mine.

Sounds VERY uncommon to me. I believe the indicator arm has a mechanical return mechanism that operates when you straighten your steering wheel again. I'd ask another auto sparks for an opinion if it was me. The resistors he speaks of are to do with the "Flasher" speed.
Last edited by Rob_Wood on Sun, 28 Aug 2022 2:12 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Rob_Wood

Postby Troutman on Sun, 28 Aug 2022 6:41 +0000

I do agree with you, it does sound very odd, Going to go get it checked with another auto spark, however we did try it with the original Toyota relay and the problem did seem to stop (however of course the fast flashing occurred again).
Troutman

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 28 Aug 2022 2:14 +0000

Try "ASKING" the same questions at a Toyota dealership workshop?
Rob_Wood

Return to Electrical