Shuts down/Wont start - unless you disconnect battery

Shuts down/Wont start - unless you disconnect battery

Postby Blackbox34 on Thu, 06 Jan 2022 1:10 +0000

Hey,
Trying to help a friend with a 2TR-FE Hilux.
They were driving it and all of a sudden it shut down and would not start again.
I tried my scan tools and would not even connect.
I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds and car would start again, scan tools revealed no codes.
After running for a few minutes it shut down again, only way to start it was disconnect the battery for 30 seconds again..
My Scan tools are only cheap Autel, but they would not even connect until i disconnected and reconnected the battery..

They did say they smelt 'Rotten eggs' So im wondering if the ecu would shut down if the battery was being cooked/overcharged? It was 13V with and without engine running at time of test
Blackbox34

Re: Shuts down/Wont start - unless you disconnect battery

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 06 Jan 2022 4:31 +0000

Blackbox34 wrote:They did say they smelt 'Rotten eggs'

This smell was reported with some early versions of unleaded vehicles. Not sure if it's still an issue though? I thought this was generally resolved by slightly altering the formula in the actual fuel years ago.
As for the shutting down and disconnecting the battery to restart? Bit of a loss here, maybe ... just thinking out loud here ... is it possible the wrong fuel has been put in the vehicle?
Rob_Wood

Postby Blackbox34 on Thu, 06 Jan 2022 5:05 +0000

When i was looking at it i pumped some fuel out to test the fuel pump and filter. Fuel definitely smells like good unleaded
Blackbox34

Postby Blackbox34 on Sun, 09 Jan 2022 4:44 +0000

I was following the vehicle today when it happened..
the engine coughed a few times then shut down, it would then crank but would not restart.
No engine codes.
No 'Eggy smell'
Disconnecting the battery did not fix it this time, the engine coughed a few times but did not start,

Today it was sitting out in the sun and was only running 5 minutes before it shut down. When it first occured it was sitting out in the heat all day.
When disconnecting the battery resolved it, it was sitting in the shade on a cool day - Maybe temperature related?

What software is everybody using to see what is going on with the ECU on these vehicles?
Blackbox34

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 10 Jan 2022 5:51 +0000

Techstream, do a search

There I did it for you

viewtopic.php?t=16394
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Blackbox34 on Mon, 10 Jan 2022 3:58 +0000

Great, Thanks!
I have ordered the stuff for Techstream, hopefully it can provide some insight
Blackbox34

Return to Electrical