Brake Lights Both, not working.....

Brake Lights Both, not working.....

Postby simonwar on Tue, 09 Nov 2021 1:56 +0000

Hi,

My brake lights (left and right) and tail light (in the tub pull down door), are out....

I checked the 10A fuse under the steering column, all good,
I checked the Brake Light switch (4 spade switch), and actually changed it, ($40 couldn't harm),
I checked i was getting 12V across the connector and yes all good between the large spade and the small ones,
All my other rear lights work, Indicators, Tail, Hazards, Reversers....

I noticed some adhoc wiring into the brake light harness at the foot pedal, which i assume is to get at the 12V, and i am wondering if this is the source of the problem, but before i try and unwrap the insulation tape, potentially for no evail.... is there any other checks i can do.

Appreciate any wisdom, thanks Simon.
Hilux 2006 DWD 3.0 Diesel Auto KUN26R
simonwar

Re: Brake Lights Both, not working.....

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 09 Nov 2021 9:50 +0000

The 5 (looks like 6) pin connector under the tub that connects the light fitting to the loom.
Mine (living on a dirt road) fills with dirt and mud and I have to clean it out about once a year (around pink slip time) ;) . The Brake lights are usually the first to stop working.
Next time I have to climb under there I'll actually be replacing the 6 pin connector with 5 individual connectors; still undecided whether it'll be straight barrel connectors or spade connectors. The decision will probably be made while doing the job and I find out how many of each are left in the kit.
Rob_Wood

Re: Brake Lights Both, not working.....

Postby martynvella on Wed, 10 Nov 2021 4:53 +0000

Rob, do yourself a favour and use a 6 pin deutsch connector, bit of dielectric grease in it when you connect it the first time and it will last years, or just get rid of the plug all together and solder and duel wall heatshrink it.
martynvella

Return to Electrical