Anyone using Renogy DC DC Chargers?

Anyone using Renogy DC DC Chargers?

Postby wombat81 on Mon, 04 Oct 2021 8:32 +0000

Gday all. I'm shopping for a DCDC charger with MPPT for my new canopy setup. I'm moving to lithium and therefore the Ctek D250S from my old setup won't do the job. This Renogy unit seems to be well priced. It has a 2 year warranty. I don't know much about Renogy except that they're popular in the US. Does anyone have any feedback on them? For the record I have 240w of solar going into (potentially) a 135ah lithium battery. It will be running a 70L Dometic fridge and some lights.

Thanks

https://au.renogy.com/dcc30s-12v-30a-du ... with-mppt/
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Re: Anyone using Renogy DC DC Chargers?

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 04 Oct 2021 5:33 +0000

wombat81 wrote:Gday all. I'm shopping for a DCDC charger with MPPT for my new canopy setup. I'm moving to lithium and therefore the Ctek D250S from my old setup won't do the job. This Renogy unit seems to be well priced. It has a 2 year warranty. I don't know much about Renogy except that they're popular in the US. Does anyone have any feedback on them? For the record I have 240w of solar going into (potentially) a 135ah lithium battery. It will be running a 70L Dometic fridge and some lights.

Thanks

https://au.renogy.com/dcc30s-12v-30a-du ... with-mppt/

Dunno about Renogy, but when I was buying I looked at Redarc and found they didn't have what I needed. My Solar panels are 48V (House Mount) ones that I'll be putting on the ute / Camper. To get a unit that took a 48V (or higher) input voltage I had to go to a Chinese made thing at the time. All I can suggest is that Redarc had something "in development" but it hadn't been released at the time. All I can suggest is to be very clear on exactly what you're looking for before you start looking. Half the battle is knowing exactly what you want FIRST.
Rob_Wood

Postby dave g on Mon, 04 Oct 2021 7:05 +0000

The new redarc are set up for lithium and solar
Give them a ring and pick there brains for the answers you want
dave g

Postby wombat81 on Mon, 04 Oct 2021 7:42 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:Dunno about Renogy, but when I was buying I looked at Redarc and found they didn't have what I needed. My Solar panels are 48V (House Mount) ones that I'll be putting on the ute / Camper. To get a unit that took a 48V (or higher) input voltage I had to go to a Chinese made thing at the time. All I can suggest is that Redarc had something "in development" but it hadn't been released at the time. All I can suggest is to be very clear on exactly what you're looking for before you start looking. Half the battle is knowing exactly what you want FIRST.

Cheers mate. Yeah I'm all over what I need, I think. I still have my existing solar panels which are 12v panels, so any of the major DCDC/MPPT chargers (eg Ctek D250SE, Redarc BCDC1225D, Projecta IDC25 etc) will do the job no worries. I'm mainly wondering if there's any reason why I shouldn't save a few dollars and go with the Renogy charger.
wombat81

Postby wombat81 on Mon, 04 Oct 2021 7:51 +0000

dave g wrote:The new redarc are set up for lithium and solar

Yeah the Redarc BCDC1225D will do the job. I love Redarc gear and have a Tow Pro and SBI12 ready to go in the new truck, but the prices of their DCDC chargers are eye watering when there are decent alternatives out there. The Renogy unit is less than half the price with almost identical specs and the same warranty.

Even if I don't end up getting the Renogy unit, I'll probably end up with a Projecta or Ctek instead.
wombat81

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 04 Oct 2021 9:06 +0000

wombat81 wrote:
dave g wrote:The new redarc are set up for lithium and solar

Yeah the Redarc BCDC1225D will do the job. I love Redarc gear and have a Tow Pro and SBI12 ready to go in the new truck, but the prices of their DCDC chargers are eye watering when there are decent alternatives out there. The Renogy unit is less than half the price with almost identical specs and the same warranty.

Even if I don't end up getting the Renogy unit, I'll probably end up with a Projecta or Ctek instead.

Again, I don't know renogy, but the Chinese thing I got off E-Bay is MPPT and will do 0-150v Input Charge at up to 30Amp for Lead Acid or Lithium.
The 0-150V input capability is something really attractive, because you can use all sorts of input Supplies from Alternator to Wind Turbine, Water turbine or any number of Solar panel solutions.
Projecta I haven't used, but they "LOOK" OK. I was new to this part of the market and so I spent around 6-12months research all the different things available AND how they might work with my needs and wants. At the time it basically came down to price vs spec sheets. This thing covered all bases on the spec sheets and was hundreds cheaper than most other things available.
The brand of the thing I've bought is "EP Ever" and it cost me around $120 odd. Probably doesn't mean much, but there it is.
Rob_Wood

Postby wombat81 on Tue, 05 Oct 2021 8:24 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:Again, I don't know renogy, but the Chinese thing I got off E-Bay is MPPT and will do 0-150v Input Charge at up to 30Amp for Lead Acid or Lithium.
The 0-150V input capability is something really attractive, because you can use all sorts of input Supplies from Alternator to Wind Turbine, Water turbine or any number of Solar panel solutions.
Projecta I haven't used, but they "LOOK" OK. I was new to this part of the market and so I spent around 6-12months research all the different things available AND how they might work with my needs and wants. At the time it basically came down to price vs spec sheets. This thing covered all bases on the spec sheets and was hundreds cheaper than most other things available.
The brand of the thing I've bought is "EP Ever" and it cost me around $120 odd. Probably doesn't mean much, but there it is.

Thanks. Yes, I've used an Epever MPPT solar charger in my camper trailer for a while and it does a good job at a good price.

I'm only planning on dealing with low voltages since it's an in-car system and since I've already got 12V panels, I don't need to worry about handling large voltages.
wombat81

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 05 Oct 2021 10:14 +0000

wombat81 wrote:
Rob_Wood wrote:Again, I don't know renogy, but the Chinese thing I got off E-Bay is MPPT and will do 0-150v Input Charge at up to 30Amp for Lead Acid or Lithium.

Thanks. Yes, I've used an Epever MPPT solar charger in my camper trailer for a while and it does a good job at a good price.

I'm only planning on dealing with low voltages since it's an in-car system and since I've already got 12V panels, I don't need to worry about handling large voltages.

I know what you're saying, I was just planning for future expansion or changes.. New vehicle, system alterations etc.
Rob_Wood

Postby tyrty on Fri, 05 Nov 2021 6:00 +0000

The GB70 I am using is an ultraportable, lightweight and compact portable lithium car battery for starting from 12 volt batteries. With it, you can safely start an empty battery in seconds - up to 40 times on a single charge, noco boost hd gb70 manual . It is an error-proof portable car starter battery that is safe to use and features intrinsically safe technology and reverse polarity protection.
Last edited by tyrty on Fri, 05 Nov 2021 9:43 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
tyrty

Postby ng_newbie on Fri, 05 Nov 2021 6:34 +0000

I have been using these for a few years.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002278740063.html

I always buy the BT module and use the app, but sometimes you need to 'relax' security on you phone to install the app.

Remember to select BAT with micro dip switches before doing anything and the golden rule connect BAT before panel :)
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Return to Electrical