Clockspring and airbag single plug to dual plug

Clockspring and airbag single plug to dual plug

Postby AmeriKUN26 on Thu, 22 Jul 2021 4:11 +0000

Hello all, I couldn't find an answer with the search, I have a 2008 KUN26, it has the single airbag plug like the one below on the right. I'm swapping to a newer Tacoma steering wheel which has the dual airbag plugs like the one on the left.

My question is, when I swap to a newer clockspring with the dual plugs, is it going to work correctly? Or is there something that will need to be changed on the vehicle side? I do not wish to swap the detonators on the airbags. Cheers

AmeriKUN26

Re: Clockspring and airbag single plug to dual plug

Postby martynvella on Thu, 22 Jul 2021 5:32 +0000

Id be checking with your local authority about the legalities of altering safety devices away from original.
After having said that, id guess that the original wheel doesnt have any other controls in it where the new one probably does, if the red socket is the same and it doesnt cause a fault light then it will probably work, but there is only one way to know if it will actually work when needed.
martynvella

Re: Clockspring and airbag single plug to dual plug

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 22 Jul 2021 10:07 +0000

I'd also check on recalls as well. Not long ago there was some major recalls on airbags and I am ONLY going by memory here, BUT, I kinda think the recall was for Tacoma airbags. Just make sure you're not being sold a furfy.
Rob_Wood

Return to Electrical