Brake Lights Stay On Constantly

Brake Lights Stay On Constantly

Postby lachy_b on Thu, 04 Feb 2021 3:41 +0000

So I have an issue with the brake lights staying on all the time. I must have been driving around with no brake lights because i only realised the fuse was blown when I hooked up the trailer and checked the lights. I popped a new fuse in and the brake lights were constantly on. Even when the car was off. So did a quick search, and found it could be the switch. Instead of checking it, i simply unplugged the connector directly into the switch. No luck :( . So next i unplugged the NEXT connector that is just a little above it in-line with the switch, where the wires seperate out from. So unplugged that, and voila, lights turned off. So what can this mean? I thought the switch was meant to completely cut the power to the lights if the pedal wasnt pushing against it? Yet unplugging the switch did nothing

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps in advance!
lachy_b

Re: Brake Lights Stay On Constantly

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 04 Feb 2021 10:31 +0000

Go to your local wreckers and replace the switch. If you do the job in their carpark you can go back inside if you've been unlucky enough to get a bum one. Once this is sorted you'll have more time to source a new replacement part.
Nothing worse than someone giving it to you where you don't want it.
Rob_Wood

Return to Electrical