UHF antenna mount on SR cabin barrier

UHF antenna mount on SR cabin barrier

Postby bcs0228 on Wed, 27 Jan 2021 8:41 +0000

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has mounted a UHF antenna on an SR cabin barrier?

I’m looking for mounting locations on my 2013 SR hilux with the J deck tub. I don’t have a bullbar/nudge bar and I don’t want to mount it on one of the front guards. The top of the cabin barrier looks like a good location. If anyone has done the same, could you share some photos?

Regards
Martin
bcs0228

Re: UHF antenna mount on SR cabin barrier

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 28 Jan 2021 7:19 +0000

My personal preference is to NEVER put holes in the lid of my ute and so I've made the aerial fit in or on all sorts of other places. Some places I've used over the years have been:

Ute Tub Cargo Barrier frame
RollBar
Nudge bar off a Mazda made to fit a Datsun (That was an experience)
Kombi front Bumper Bar
Home made Bull-Bar (That was heavy)
Double mounting plate for an "in Guard" stereo antenna, I got feedback with that one

As yours is likely a much newer model than mine, maybe you could ask at the dealership and see if they haven't already designed a position for it to go?
Rob_Wood

Postby bcs0228 on Fri, 29 Jan 2021 5:10 +0000

Hi Rob,

How did you attach yours to the cargo barrier frame. Did you clamp it on with something like this:

https://www.gme.net.au/au/accessories/mb042/

Regards
Martin
bcs0228

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 30 Jan 2021 10:07 +0000

I actually just bent a (neatly cut) piece of Stainless sheet because I had it in the shed. Your solutions looks purpose built and probably more suitable as it can be adjusted to different angles ... especially if you might be going into under-cover parking places, under trees, low bridges or other such situations. Dunno how many aerials I've had to replace over the years because you simply forget it is there right up until you hear it go.
Rob_Wood

Postby rnd71 on Thu, 25 Mar 2021 9:40 +0000

Has anyone used a bonnet mounting bracket that gets attached by the bolts that hold the bonnet on. How did they go, any issues. Might be another option. I have checked Buds Customs and GM Fabrikations which sell them. Looks all right. I think if you use a heavy spring and stubby aerial the vibration if any might be alright. Feedback guys as this is what I am looking at when I fit a UHF and might help others decide.
rnd71

Postby martynvella on Thu, 25 Mar 2021 10:01 +0000

I have a sports bar with 2 LED reverse lights that has a mounting point for a uhf antenna and mount pads for a roofrack just sitting here.
martynvella

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 25 Mar 2021 1:22 +0000

rnd71 wrote:Has anyone used a bonnet mounting bracket that gets attached by the bolts that hold the bonnet on. How did they go, any issues. Might be another option. I have checked Buds Customs and GM Fabrikations which sell them. Looks all right. I think if you use a heavy spring and stubby aerial the vibration if any might be alright. Feedback guys as this is what I am looking at when I fit a UHF and might help others decide.

Dad had one of these, not great, got in the way when opening / closing the bonnet because the bracket wasn't very strong and bent in & out over time.
I've used a "Screen Door" Springed Hinge on the cargo barrier before, worked quite well, but rusted over time, wasn't as weatherproof as one might expect.
Ultimately the best option is to spend the extra coin and put it exactly where you want it. My current preference is on the Bullbar. Remember however that if you're looking to transmit over longer distances, then you should aim to put it somewhere where you have a good ground plain.
Rob_Wood

Postby taresk on Sat, 27 Mar 2021 12:39 +0000

rnd71 wrote:Has anyone used a bonnet mounting bracket that gets attached by the bolts that hold the bonnet on. How did they go, any issues. Might be another option. I have checked Buds Customs and GM Fabrikations which sell them. Looks all right. I think if you use a heavy spring and stubby aerial the vibration if any might be alright. Feedback guys as this is what I am looking at when I fit a UHF and might help others decide.

Bud's Customs do sell their ditch light brackets as a single to be used as an antenna mount, I have a pair with lights on, so can confirm they are well made and quite strong.
taresk

Postby jkcrewe on Tue, 05 Oct 2021 4:26 +0000

Any pics out there of the Bud's Customs UHF aerial mount (passenger side) as showing the underside fixing and with the bonnet in the raised position?
jkcrewe

Postby martynvella on Wed, 06 Oct 2021 3:30 +0000

Where abouts are you Martin?
I have an SR5 sports bar with an antenna mount and complete with Caterpillar worklights and roofrack mounts professionally welded to it here that I removed when I fitted a canopy, think they fit the SR tub.
I am in noosa.
martynvella

Return to Electrical