DIY interior dome light LED upgrade

DIY interior dome light LED upgrade

Postby jaka on Tue, 15 Dec 2020 6:10 +0000

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first post.

I designed an 'exact fit' LED replacement for the Hilux dome light. I know, there are commercially available replacements but I wanted to do it myself :) And I also had one from eBay earlier but wasn't satisfied with it.

It replaces the original bulb without any modifications needed. It also adds interior light delay, with optional delay cancel by ingition switch. You have to run extra wire to use the delay cancel.

The result is very bright and good quality light. I used neutral white LEDs (4000K), but you could also use warm white or cool white according to your preference. Below is picture taken in middle of night showing the performance:

And here is comparison between original filament bulb, eBay LED array and my own LED board:

You can find more information about construction and install from by website:
http://kair.us/projects/hilux_ceiling_light/index.html

There are also order links for the PCB boards from PCBWay and components from Digi-Key.
jaka

Re: DIY interior dome light LED upgrade

Postby fubar on Fri, 18 Dec 2020 9:05 +0000

Where to order ✌️
fubar

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 18 Dec 2020 8:04 +0000

fubar wrote:Where to order ✌️

Ditto, however I'd like to order the finished product ... NOT a kit for DIY. Price including delivery to <Postal Code> would also be good?
Rob_Wood

Postby jaka on Fri, 18 Dec 2020 10:52 +0000

My main intention is just to provide instructions so people could build it themselves.

However, I have excess boards and leftover components, so if you really really want, I could build a few. The problem is, I live in Finland and I just checked the Finnish post office website. It says that postal services to Australia are currently suspended because of Covid.
jaka

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 22 Dec 2020 12:50 +0000

jaka wrote:My main intention is just to provide instructions so people could build it themselves.

However, I have excess boards and leftover components, so if you really really want, I could build a few. The problem is, I live in Finland and I just checked the Finnish post office website. It says that postal services to Australia are currently suspended because of Covid.

Murphy strikes again. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm in no rush Jaka, I can wait until they've sorted COVID stuff out. I could put it together myself, I just can't be bothered. I also suspect that bread-boards and other components might vary slightly so an exact match might be difficult, however if you've got a circuit diagram or instructions I could print out, I could take a look if you like?
Rob_Wood

Postby jaka on Wed, 23 Dec 2020 1:03 +0000

Hi Rob,

The circuit diagram is available on my website, link is in first post.

However, it isn't possible to build this on breadboard. At least in such way that it could be fitted in the OEM dome light. It's all SMD components.

Even with the factory made PCB it requires some skills and fine tip soldering iron, as the SMD LEDs are a bit tricky to solder.

I'll check the shipping restrictions every now and then. I'll let you know when they resume.
jaka

Postby fubar on Sat, 02 Jan 2021 7:10 +0000

I live in norway and would absolutly love too buy two of these if you can hit me over with a pricing
fubar

Postby jaka on Sun, 03 Jan 2021 8:12 +0000

Shipping to Norway is currently possible. I'll send a PM so we can work out details.
jaka

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 16 Jan 2021 11:42 +0000

Jaka,
Just keeping in touch, any news on postage to Australia yet?
I was thinking of becoming an "Aussie Distributor" for you, but no other Aussies seem to have shown much interest so I'll just get one for me ... if it is still possible?
Also just wondering if you've done any "lifespan" testing? Being what it is, it should last almost indefinately, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Take Care
Rob_Wood

Postby jaka on Tue, 26 Jan 2021 2:34 +0000

Hi Rob,

I just checked, and it seems that shipping to Australia and NZ has resumed, already a week ago!

I'll send you PM.
jaka

Postby jaka on Tue, 26 Jan 2021 2:45 +0000

Forgot to comment on lifespan testing...
haven't done, but it's a good idea. I'll build an unit or two for testing. Need to figure out a good way to test the luminosity in a reproducible way. LEDs tend to lose their brightness during use, especially if they run too hot.
jaka

Postby Caleebra on Tue, 26 Jan 2021 4:19 +0000

Fellow neighbor here from Norway!
Nice work Jaka! They look mint!

I'd buy one if i still had the original dome light in my Hilux, but installed a Outback roof console instead that had pre-installed LED lights.
But i am curious, how hard is it to build a LED board like that?
The LED boards in the Outback Roof Console is very blue, and it would be nice to have clear white instead.

Keep up the good work! :)
- Arne from Norway here, glad to chat with you -

Instagram: @arnlux_adv
Facebook: - Arn's Lux Adventure -
:D
Caleebra

Postby jaka on Fri, 29 Jan 2021 2:43 +0000

Do you mean designing or the actual building?

Designing requires of course skills in circuit and PCB design. But even with good skills, it is time consuming.

The actual build isn't the easiest either. You must have experience with soldering surface mount components. Even then, these kind of LEDs require very fine tipped soldering iron and a specific soldering technique. I would say it takes at least one board to learn a technique which works for you. I've used these in the past, so I knew what to expect :D

If your roof console already has LED boards (not 'bulbs' with some standard base), then one option would be to see if the actual LEDs on the boards could be changed. While that is also quite big a job, it's still far easier than designing a completely new board.
jaka

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 30 Jan 2021 10:02 +0000

jaka wrote:Forgot to comment on lifespan testing...
haven't done, but it's a good idea. I'll build an unit or two for testing. Need to figure out a good way to test the luminosity in a reproducible way. LEDs tend to lose their brightness during use, especially if they run too hot.

When testing you might also consider two platforms to test?
1. Dome light cover OFF
2. Dome light cover ON
Only reason I mention it is because you mentioned something about LEDs running hot ... Inside the dome light cover WITHOUT some form of heat sink might also do some buckling or other heat damage to the dome light COVER? Just thinking about the confined space it is in, that's all.
In your pic's it puts out such a great light that it'd be ideal for when we're reading maps or whatever while fighting Bush Fires. It was the ultimate purpose I have in mind that made me so interested in your product. With that in mind, I am wondering how difficult it might be to adapt the PCB to other shapes and sizes ... The reason I ask this is that our Brigade has 3 trucks, a Toyota, an Isuzu and a Mitsubishi. I haven't actually looked, but I'd imagine the dome lights will be different in each vehicle.
Rob_Wood

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 27 Feb 2021 9:47 +0000

I've bought one and with a little creative installation work (mine is an older model Hilux) it fits nicely and works like a dream. I'd recommend it to anyone who uses their interior light and wants more lumens than you can poke a stick at.
Rob_Wood

Postby fkrois on Sun, 06 Jun 2021 3:20 +0000

jaka wrote:My main intention is just to provide instructions so people could build it themselves.

hey - would you still be able to make one? Shipping to Austria? EU should be easy right?
You can PM me!

THX
fkrois

Return to Electrical