Lost all electrical power when I tried to start.

Lost all electrical power when I tried to start.

Postby michael.bradshaw on Fri, 16 Aug 2019 11:46 +0000

Hi, I have a 2007 3.0 D4D and I got a weird issue tonight when trying to head out. It has a dual battery setup through a redarc BCDC1240 though it was inactive as I have it on a switch to only charge the other battery when needed.

I turned on the ignition and seen my primary battery was sitting just above 11v. When i turned the key to start the engine i head a click / brief noise from the engine bay. Sounded like a relay or maybe fuse blowing and then I lost all dash lights and all electrical power. The engine didn't even try to turn.

I removed the key and waited but now have no electrical power to anything. Using my multimeter the battery is sitting at 11.5v.

The only other relevant info I can think of it that earlier today I used the Hilux to jump start my Celica which had been sitting for a while. Not sure if that could have done anything.

Would appreciate any pointers towards what to check. I'm hoping it's just a fuse but not sure which one to check.

Thanks, M.
michael.bradshaw

Re: Lost all electrical power when I tried to start.

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 16 Aug 2019 3:23 +0000

Check all ya main buss fuses. Alternator fuse and others can be easily blown when jump starting.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby michael.bradshaw on Fri, 16 Aug 2019 3:52 +0000

Yeah, checked all fuses and then seen the negative battery clamp was not tight at all. I lifted it right off.

I assume when I tried to start it the connection wasn't strong enough to supply the current. Not sure why I then lost all power but I disconnecting everything for a few hours and made sure it was all secure and everything is working as expected.

Thanks for the suggestion. M.
michael.bradshaw

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 16 Aug 2019 5:09 +0000

Always start with the simplest things! Glad ya fixed it!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Return to Electrical