Airbag light after pretensioner repair

Airbag light after pretensioner repair

Postby brem82 on Wed, 05 Jun 2019 4:07 +0000

Hi all
So my old man borrowed my 2013 SR5 for a couple of days while I was away and during that time he had issues with the seat belt not unlocking and unable to wear it. He has decided to take the pretentioner apart and found "something" interfering with the ball bearing that activates the seat belt lock and bingo seat belt works again, however since the repair the airbag light is on and Toyota tell me its a short in the pretentioner assembly and want $650 to replace, are you serious?! As HD diesel mechanic and not bad with auto electrics I have googled my arse off for as much info as possible, with not much luck. What I have noticed in some cases (make and model of vehicle unknown) there is a shorting clip in the SRS module plug on the pretensioner, however mine doesn't or no longer does have one... I am yet to test for resistance, as i struggle to think that there is a hard short, rather its something during the repair that has triggered the light and requires a decent scan tool to reset the fault. Strange that Toyota didn't try this first....Has anyone had a similar fault/experience and is there mean to be a shorting clip in the Toyota SRS plugs?

Sorry for the novel, hard to tell the story without context.

Cheers
brem82

Re: Airbag light after pretensioner repair

Postby dave g on Mon, 10 Jun 2019 7:35 +0000

Hi
Did you check if you have a good earth
dave g

Postby 241steve on Thu, 26 Aug 2021 8:38 +0000

How do i reset the airbag light or is the system self resting. I also changed a seat belt now the airbag light is on either the seat belt tensioner is a dud , I didn't connect the wire properly or the system needs resting as Ive put it back together Ill ask here until as it will be the weekend before i can take it apart again . Ive just found out the torque app on the stereo only talks to the engine ecu.
The manual I have vaguely talks about using a scan tool to reset the light or pulling a connector and shorting 2 pins with a paper clip. has anyone done this i cant get near a scan tool this week either of course.
I disconnected the battery before I started of course as i was half way thru changing the seat belt I got a call to go and do a quick job down the road.
07 petrol 4wd sr.
241steve

Postby martynvella on Thu, 26 Aug 2021 1:56 +0000

Putting a scantool on would have been the first and only thing the dealers would have done. It will give them a pretty good diagnosis.
Asking them to fix a safety device that you have dismantled and got wrong will never work, replacing the unit is their only option legally.
martynvella

Postby 241steve on Thu, 26 Aug 2021 7:53 +0000

i brought a change over rewound seat belt the mob I brought it from will probably get me another one if the supplied seat belt is no good. Im asking if anyone has reset the airbag light the way the manual describes with out the scan tool?
241steve

Return to Electrical