Tub outlet question

Tub outlet question

Postby bairdy380 on Thu, 08 Nov 2018 8:05 +0000

Gday guys, got myself a conundrum. Had the dual batt setup to the tub no prob for years. Went shooting a while back and the system cooked the fuse in a 12v ext lead, then plugged the light direct and sure enough looked like melted the solder on fuse here too. Ran a fridge at a later date no probs. Checked voltage. 12v off and 13.8 running. What should i be looking for... bad day (damp) or an earth leak?
Advice always appreciated
cheers
Bairdy
bairdy380

Tub outlet question

Postby Myralga on Fri, 09 Nov 2018 5:56 +0000

What is the light???

I have had this with a powa beam spot light.

Some have a halogen 120w bulb.

120w dived by 12v is 10 amp.

10 amp constant through a little cig socket or a inline fuse is a lot of current flow. Also they are a very poor connection. I have melted cigs and slow melted fuses from the heat they create from the poor connection.

Recommend changing your current connection to a dedicated say 50amp Anderson. With a good quality Midi fuse set up all connections soldered.

Should eliminate any problem for the future.

Basically it’s a vicious circle.
Poor connection creates heat which raises the resistance which creates a poorer connection and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Re: Tub outlet question

Postby bairdy380 on Wed, 14 Nov 2018 7:50 +0000

Yeah, it's a lightforce hand held spotty (240 off the top of my head). I'm leaning toward a possible dry joint, or like you said the current draw across a couple of less than ideal connections. On reflection i think the change point was the "new" extension lead. So that combined with the connections may be the culprit. I've run the spotty on other leads with no issue previously.
bairdy380

Return to Electrical