Urgent help needed - lost AC *and* power windows

Urgent help needed - lost AC *and* power windows

Postby jeremyparr on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 5:56 +0000

My new to me 2006 hasn't had working AC since I bought it. Today I pulled the blower motor and housing to get to the evaporator, found it plugged with dust/dirt/hair. I spent the day blasting it with a pump sprayer to clean out all the gunk, all of which drained through the built-in condensation drain. Upon reassembling, the AC worked, pressures were good, and fan blew very well. Went for a drive, about 30 minutes, parked at the store to run in and grab a few items, left my wife in the truck with it idling - AC on. Came back ontside, and the AC light was off, fan was off, and the windows didn't work. Checked the fuses, couldn't find anything blown. Drove home (in a *very* hot truck) and checked the fuses again, under the hood, under the passenger side dash, and under the driver's side dash. All good.

Don't seem to have power to the following: turn signals, headlights, windows, unswitched radio power, ac relay, blower motor, abs.

What does have power: switched radio, locks, ignition, fuel pump. (wow, this list is short).

Where do I go from here?!?
jeremyparr

Re: Urgent help needed - lost AC *and* power windows

Postby jeremyparr on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 6:27 +0000

Update:

I also noticed that the truck isn't charging. Battery is at 12.7 volts off, 12.5 volts running. There is no juice getting from the alternator to the battery.

Also believe I found the cause of the issue - but not the fix. The new AC compressor coil I installed (went and bought a cheapie from Aliexpress) slipped and shorted the power wire leading to it. Not sure why this dind't blow a fuse though.

Edit: the B+ lead going to the coil is unplugged now - just to be safe. Obviously no difference.
jeremyparr

Postby martynvella on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 6:53 +0000

There are a bunch of fuseable links in the under bonnet fuse box in a plastic housing, it is expensive and has to be replaced as a unit so be sure you have found the real problem before you fit the new one if it is one of those that has blown.

If it is the alternator one that has blown it will likley be more than the ac coil that took it out, you can wire in another external fuseable link of the same value to get running again, but make sure you have found the real fault and use heavy enough cable, similar size that is on the original link now.

If you dont feel confident get a sparky to look at it, this is a very high power circuit and can go very VERY wrong if you make a mistake.
martynvella

Postby jeremyparr on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 10:15 +0000

Just went through and tested the fuses again - found fuse #35, ECU-IG, was open. Replaced, all good. Now I need to buy an actual Toyota compresor clutch and replace the ali-express one.
jeremyparr

Return to Electrical