Battery/alternator light on even after new alternator & batt

Battery/alternator light on even after new alternator & batt

Postby LUX551 on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 2:08 +0000

I am at my wits end as to what is going on with my car. 1/2006 Toyota Hilux D4D. Purchased car a few months ago and got a new battery after a month as old one was stuffed so it's only about 3 months old. A month ago we went up the Cape and did the OTT and returning home the alternator light starts flickering on the dash. Not constantly on just faintly flickering sometimes it would go away but then start flickering again. Kept driving as car seemed ok & battery wasn't going flat until we were a day from home camped at a creek for a couple of days (at this stage I had the dual batteriy in, of that matters?). Recharged main battery with generator. After leaving creek to head home and stopping at Mareeba for dinner I turned car off and then it wouldn't start. Jump started with partners Hilux. By this stage the alternator light is brighter but still flickering. Home for a couple of days and everytime I used my indicators the fuse would blow. Put all the electrical issues down to water from the creek crossings up the Cape & figured water must be sitting in electrical components. I fixed the indicator issue by pulling everything apart & drying it out & spraying wd40 in the sockets. Drove car again & alternator light is on constantly not just flickering. I gerni'd the alternator with car running thinking there may be mud and crap stuck in alternator but didn't fix the issue. Went to Cairns yesterday & got battery tested (in my partners car as his Hilux battery died the night before) & the window on my battery is saying recharge battery even though smart charger says it's full. Tested perfect not a thing wrong with it according to their tester. Reading 13.6-14v with multimeter on in his car. Went to Ashies & got a new alternator for my car (bxa552 130amp which is their direct replacement) & fitted yesterday. Battery light was out, test drove car & all seemed ok. However after getting back home we decided to put the multimeter on the terminals again and is only reading around 12.6v on idle and around 12.75 on revving 2500 rpm. Which is all it was reading before we changed the alternator. Today I drive the car and the alternator light is back on on the dash. So my question is what the hell is wrong with my car? Could the new alternator be faulty? Is my cable stuffed somewhere along the loom? Is the 100amp ALT fuse buggered? We pretty much ruled out the new battery is stuffed. Any advice appreciated!
LUX551

Re: Battery/alternator light on even after new alternator &

Postby LUX551 on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 2:59 +0000

Fixed my own problem. Started investigating the wiring and the alternator wiring nut attached to the fuse box had come loose obviously over the corrugations up the Cape. The tab had come loose and spun itself against the plastic of the fuse box & melted itself there but was still moving. Would have happened slowly which would explain the flickering of the alternator light then once it got hot it melted against the plastic & the light obviously stayed on. Spun tab back around to 90 degree angle & retightened it & alternator light is now off. Was probably nothing wrong with original alternator but oh well will get it tested & if it's ok we have a spare for next trip!
LUX551

Postby wombat81 on Tue, 13 Mar 2018 5:03 +0000

LUX551 wrote:Fixed my own problem. Started investigating the wiring and the alternator wiring nut attached to the fuse box had come loose obviously over the corrugations up the Cape. The tab had come loose and spun itself against the plastic of the fuse box & melted itself there but was still moving. Would have happened slowly which would explain the flickering of the alternator light then once it got hot it melted against the plastic & the light obviously stayed on. Spun tab back around to 90 degree angle & retightened it & alternator light is now off. Was probably nothing wrong with original alternator but oh well will get it tested & if it's ok we have a spare for next trip!

Was this the fuse box directly behind the main battery? I'm having a similar issue and can't find a loose connection.
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Postby wombat81 on Mon, 02 Apr 2018 11:44 +0000

Just an update on my issue. The battery light flickered on and off for weeks, but the alternator was still outputting plenty of voltage (13.8v+) but in the last few days the alternator has started to fail completely. It now puts out between 11.8 and 12.8v and the battery light is constantly lit. So it seems to me like the flickering light can be an early warning that the alternator is beginning to fail, even if the voltages are correct.

I'll give Bansheebuzz a call tomorrow for a replacement.

Edit: Update here: https://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=421981#p421981
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Return to Electrical