Heater in the cabin is malfunctioning / not working

Heater in the cabin is malfunctioning / not working

Postby mastermanoj on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 6:32 +0000

Hello All

I tried to look for a solution to my problem but couldn't find anything similar already posted in here.

The heater in my hilux isn't working :( . My local mechanic has changed the thermostat and bled the whole system but it hasnt made any improvements. i then took it to Toyota who did the same thing plus they checked if the radiator was leaking and all other tests plus they bled the system as well but resulted only in marginal improvement.

i have put the heater setting to the maximum as soon as i turn the A/c on it starts blowing normal air instead. if i dont turn the A/c on then the cabin turns all foggy. i am still trying to understand what the problem could be. Toyota told me the last thing that has not been checked yet is the heater tap which is deep inside the dash. Toyoto is asking for big $$$ to check that one out but no one is sure if that is causing the problem.

Any assistance would be really helpful.

Thank you
Max
D4D, 2006,Auto,
mastermanoj

Re: Heater in the cabin is malfunctioning / not working

Postby flip9 on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 7:09 +0000

Could be a clogged heater core or the temp control cable mechanism is broken.

Clogged heater core is easy to diagnose. You just undo the two coolant hoses to it and connect a garden hose on one end. If no water is coming out on the other end then its blocked.
flip9

Postby mastermanoj on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 2:31 +0000

flip9 wrote:Could be a clogged heater core or the temp control cable mechanism is broken.

Clogged heater core is easy to diagnose. You just undo the two coolant hoses to it and connect a garden hose on one end. If no water is coming out on the other end then its blocked.

Thank you Flip9

but i reckon that's what the mechanic and toyota would have done to diagonize the issue :?
mastermanoj

Postby flip9 on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 3:14 +0000

Make sure they did check for a heater core blockage, because changing the coolant and thermostat wont do anything.

The other thing you can check is the cable control. It has plastic gear/pulleys that might have cracked. You need to undo the aircon console and just follow where the cable attaches to the big aircon box.
flip9

Postby mastermanoj on Wed, 05 Jul 2017 7:52 +0000

i checked the cable control and fiddled with it and seems i have just made it too hard now :( but the still spins.

one of the other local mechanics said to check the heater blockage the entire dash has to come off which is again big $$$.

He advised just to try replacing the cable as it may have a slack but even when i tried to change the setting by directly turning the gears that are located near the drivers left foot the hot air still wont blow.

I am about to take my lux again to toyota next tuesday and see what they come up with. :?
mastermanoj

Postby cooganstein on Thu, 06 Jul 2017 8:01 +0000

I would ask the two people that worked on it how they checked it. And then do what flip said in first reply.
cooganstein

Postby mastermanoj on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 7:26 +0000

Hello All,

Toyota is stating that they may have found the problem. They believe it is a clogged heater core which isn't letting enough hot water to pass through. To confirm that they will have to open the dash and then get to it. If its just the blockage then it will cost approx $700 to $800. However if they find that the heater core has to be changed in that case i am up for approx $2.5k :?

Does any of you guys know any reliable air con techie who could do this job for less than what Toyo has quoted. i am in Mascot 2020

I am not an expert when it comes to technical stuffs hence would rather pay the money but get the piece of mind.

Thank you and good day to all :)
mastermanoj

Postby flip9 on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 10:32 +0000

You shouldn't need to open up the dash to test it.

Like i said you can test it from the engine bay, just undo the two hoses going to the heater core and stick a garden hose in
flip9

Postby Chancha_Blanca on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 1:39 +0000

Most auto electrician wouldnt touch the heater core fault cos we know how much time and pain in the back side it is to access the Evap. Other option would be to flush the heater core.
Without Trucks, Australia Stops, Without Hilux, the World Stops!
Chancha_Blanca

Return to Electrical