Redarc not charging the 2nd battery

Redarc not charging the 2nd battery

Postby gump on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 8:12 +0000

Hi all,

Long long long time between visits.

I've just started having issues with my redarc dual battery system, it's decided that it doesn't want charge my second battery anymore. It's got the lights coming up for the correct battery confit and everything, all fuses are good as far as I can see. But she won't enter any of the charging stages. So I'm pretty sure I've killed my battery which is only a year or so old since it hasn't been charging and I drained it last time I used the fridge.

Anyone else had a similar issue and fixed it? Or has my unit carked and I'm up for a new one?

Thanks for any help

Gump
gump

Re: Redarc not charging the 2nd battery

Postby dave g on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 8:47 +0000

A volt meter is your friend here to see where the power is going or in your case not going and get a load test on the battery.
dave g

Postby fracturedranga on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 9:29 +0000

As dave said above get yourself a multimeter and check some voltages. If youve dropped a cell or killed your aux battery it wont charge. If the baytery is only a year old ypu might be able to get it replaced under warranty just dont tell them you run it dead flat
fracturedranga

Postby MarkTGood on Wed, 19 Apr 2017 4:46 +0000

Hey mate.
The BCDC1220 IGN manual says that if the output battery is less than 4v it will stop charging.
I had a similar issue with a very flat auxiliary battery and my 240V charger wouldn't even charge it. I was able to hook my start battery to it with jumper leads for a couple of mins and the standing voltage was up to 8V which was enough for the charger to charge it.

If you have a dead cell then this won't be of any assistance
MarkTGood

Postby finicale on Wed, 19 Apr 2017 5:44 +0000

Sorry if i missed it but what model redarc is it?
Cheers
finicale

Postby berniecam on Wed, 19 Apr 2017 6:14 +0000

gump wrote:Hi all,

Long long long time between visits.

I've just started having issues with my redarc dual battery system, it's decided that it doesn't want charge my second battery anymore. It's got the lights coming up for the correct battery confit and everything, all fuses are good as far as I can see. But she won't enter any of the charging stages. So I'm pretty sure I've killed my battery which is only a year or so old since it hasn't been charging and I drained it last time I used the fridge.

Anyone else had a similar issue and fixed it? Or has my unit carked and I'm up for a new one?

Thanks for any help

Gump

Hi Gump. I also have a 1220 IGN model Redarc & swear by it. I might be about to state the obvious here but it may be worth trying. This model needs a 12 volt feed from the ignition circuit to switch it on depending who installed it should have another fuse to protect it somewhere a stand alone fuse would (or SHOULD HAVE) been installed in the circuit back to where ever it picks up the IGN feed .Check the blue wire going into the Redarc (for memory check your wiring diagram to make sure first to verify colour). This circuit only needs a 3AMP fuse to protect it because the input current to the Redarc only draws 20 ma. you may have to look for this fuse it might be in under the dash, if there is no power going into it the unit will NOT switch on. As for the battery config light it stays on all the time even if the unit is not switched on.
Ok so you will have at least 3 fuses to check in total. Had mine on two different vehicles & no problems, if you still have no luck ring Redarc head office the guys there are very helpful & may suggest something else. :)
berniecam

Postby jabiru18 on Sun, 26 Jan 2020 5:01 +0000

Call Redarc mate, they have superb customer service.

Mine did the same and turned out the unit had a fault which they fixed easily. When engine running put multimeter on aux, you should see above 13 volts if working correctly.
jabiru18

Postby martynvella on Mon, 27 Jan 2020 5:03 +0000

Check the date, this is simply an unfinished thread from yeats gone by. Most people get on here have a big winge and never follow up with results.
martynvella

Return to Electrical