Brake controller plug within trailer harness

Brake controller plug within trailer harness

Postby reedola on Sun, 22 May 2016 11:40 +0000

Just wanted to ask the question before I get too involved in the splicing/earthing and pulling apart trim - is there a brake controller port as part of the toyota trailer harness - if so does anyone know what it looks like?

Seems as though a few makes and models (i,e ranger) have them but not sure on the hilux. I've got a 2010 SR.

Thanks
reedola

Re: Brake controller plug within trailer harness

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 22 May 2016 11:58 +0000

Port for what exactly?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby Dan_Z on Sun, 22 May 2016 6:05 +0000

Hi there,

I assume you mean connections for an electric brake controller. I bought a 2011 SR which had a Toyota tow pack fitted by the dealer, they fitted it with a 12 pin plug.

When I wanted to fit an electric brake controller I found that the plug had been wired with a blue cable for the brakes and a red signal cable from the brake light. Tracing them back I found they both ended in the tow cable harness on the engine side of the firewall, though they were hidden inside the plastic sheath.

I couldn't find any power or earth for the controller fitted, so I had to wire them up myself, and run the blue and red (brake signal) wire through the firewall to the controller.

You might find yours is different though, I do not think there is any standard for what gets fitted with a tow pack.
Dan_Z

Postby aandy on Sun, 22 May 2016 6:29 +0000

If my memory serves me correct...

I fitted the genuine tow wiring loom in about 2012, it was the updated one with relays.
Following the Toyota instructions, the BLUE brake controller wire is left terminated under the scuff plate next to the drivers seat, or maybe it was under the drivers seat.
aandy

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 23 May 2016 11:02 +0000

aandy wrote:If my memory serves me correct...

I fitted the genuine tow wiring loom in about 2012, it was the updated one with relays.
Following the Toyota instructions, the BLUE brake controller wire is left terminated under the scuff plate next to the drivers seat, or maybe it was under the drivers seat.

yes aandy that's where I found it... under the driver's seat, you can see the harness enter in the floor pan. I only found it after running a separate wire to the plug then followed the harness back to the cab and there it was! Just lift the scuff plate and lift the carpet under the seat and you will see it (blue wire) under the seat (driver) ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby reedola on Mon, 23 May 2016 5:20 +0000

Thanks for the responses - I've seen elsewhere that the brake cable terminates under the seat. If only it was as simple as plugging it in and you're away!

I think i'll bight the bullet and get an auto elec for this one.
reedola

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 24 May 2016 9:07 +0000

you will find the blue wire is already tapped into the plug end so you only need to connect the output of the controller to the wire under the seat ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby SilverSP on Mon, 27 Nov 2017 12:55 +0000

Thanks all.
I found it just above the spare wheel as described but ended up putting in my own to the actual trailer plug (after removing the blue one) back into the engine bay then into the cabin where I'll wire in a switch and fuse to the ING feed.
I found a suitable feed behind the glovebox but just need to buy a nano fuse adaptor to plug in and wire into the switch. Cheers all.
SilverSP

Return to Electrical