Tail gate central locking

Tail gate central locking

Postby sharp018 on Mon, 29 Feb 2016 12:56 +0000

hey guys i jumped on ebay to see what they had as far as central locking for the lux tail gates i came across this one

just want to know if any of you guys have used it ???

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-SUS-TEC- ... SwUV9WofyY
sharp018

Re: Tail gate central locking

Postby Supremacy on Mon, 29 Feb 2016 1:30 +0000

My brother just fitted one to his SR5 a few weeks ago. Works a treat.
Supremacy

Postby sharp018 on Mon, 29 Feb 2016 1:42 +0000

Supremacy wrote:My brother just fitted one to his SR5 a few weeks ago. Works a treat.

thanks mate :) happy to hear they are good :D
sharp018

Postby Supremacy on Mon, 29 Feb 2016 3:27 +0000

Loom is a tight fit passing through the existing grommets in tailgate but can be squeezed in.
We also had access to spare pins to populate into the loom (for central locking) removing the need to cut and solder wires.
Supremacy

Postby sharp018 on Tue, 01 Mar 2016 6:28 +0000

Supremacy wrote:Loom is a tight fit passing through the existing grommets in tailgate but can be squeezed in.
We also had access to spare pins to populate into the loom (for central locking) removing the need to cut and solder wires.

Done, spent a little more then i should. Got the lock, new set of drawers, and tailgate rubbers and a set of gas struts for the bonnet :P
sharp018

Postby Kata on Thu, 03 Mar 2016 9:29 +0000

looks good bit of gear

just a few questions if that ok

Supremacy where did you find the spare pins/ instead of cutting into central locking loom
"We also had access to spare pins to populate into the loom (for central locking) removing the need to cut and solder wires."

sharp018 where did you get the tailgate rubbers from mate? where did you get the bonnets struts? do they clear the dual battery setup if you have one
Kata

Postby Supremacy on Fri, 04 Mar 2016 11:26 +0000

Kata, the pins I had lying around at work (Toyota factory worker). A dealer should be able to get the pins also but would charge a premium.
Supremacy

Postby Kata on Sun, 06 Mar 2016 2:30 +0000

What do these pins look like ? What's special about them?

My question was more where did you cut in tap into for your central locking?

Where did you run the loom through after the tailgate mate.

As I wanna buy this tailgate lock
Cheers
Kata

Postby Supremacy on Sun, 06 Mar 2016 8:11 +0000

Simply put, the pins are the same as used in any of the factory loom plugs.

The loom itself came. From tailgate and followed the tow bar loom into the cabin (needed some extending to reach right kick panel).

There is a plug in the drivers kickpanel which feeds the drivers door lock solenoid. There are spare slots on this plug which allow you to add extra pins to send voltage to the tailgate actuator.

See the below image for the plug I mention. Image

If I get a chance I'll check which pins are unlock and lock. The system reverses voltage across 2 pins only. I myself are only using unlock signal for my hard lid. My brother recently installed this in his hilux.
Supremacy

Postby sharp018 on Sun, 13 Mar 2016 4:16 +0000

I ran the wires through the tail gate into the same condute split tubing as the brake light, ran it along the chassis rail and iup through the back of the cab, i then removed the panels and kick pannels where the drivers seat belt pillar is is where i tapped into. There is 2 wires on is plain Blue amd the other is Blue with a yellow trace from memory

Before i went stripping wires i had the drivers window open all doors closed and had my test light i lean im and opem and unlock my car untill i found both the wires

If you buy this unit make sure you wire it propberly cos once the unit is in place its hard to access the wires if you did a neat job. What i did was strips the wires on the unit amd wires on the car. Before i started solidering i checked to make sure that it was wired right, then i wemt ahead and soliderd it

The brand of this kit SUS TEC is who i brought my struts off and yes i have dual battery and it works fine ill get some phhotos soon. As for the rubbers i also brought off ebay cant remeber sellers name but just type Hilux Tailgate Rubber on ebay
sharp018

Postby J-Lux2014 on Fri, 02 Mar 2018 4:28 +0000

sharp018 wrote:I ran the wires through the tail gate into the same condute split tubing as the brake light, ran it along the chassis rail and iup through the back of the cab, i then removed the panels and kick pannels where the drivers seat belt pillar is is where i tapped into. There is 2 wires on is plain Blue amd the other is Blue with a yellow trace from memory

Before i went stripping wires i had the drivers window open all doors closed and had my test light i lean im and opem and unlock my car untill i found both the wires

If you buy this unit make sure you wire it propberly cos once the unit is in place its hard to access the wires if you did a neat job. What i did was strips the wires on the unit amd wires on the car. Before i started solidering i checked to make sure that it was wired right, then i wemt ahead and soliderd it

The brand of this kit SUS TEC is who i brought my struts off and yes i have dual battery and it works fine ill get some phhotos soon. As for the rubbers i also brought off ebay cant remeber sellers name but just type Hilux Tailgate Rubber on ebay

Hi Sharp, do you a photo of how the sustec tailgate lock is positioned in the tailgate? I can for the life of me figure out how it actually sits. The unit does not come with instructions and I've asked the seller but apparently do not have the fitting instructions. I've also searched far and wide online and couldn't find any info.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
J-Lux2014

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 14 Nov 2019 6:49 +0000

A bit late but heres a pic fitted

Tapped into drivers side loom just in front of B pillar. No need to take off interior B pillar molding.
Pass twin core thru grommet under drivers seat

Splice into solid plain BLUE wire and BLUE with YELLOW trace wires.
DeadlyBeast

Postby Martyhing on Mon, 11 May 2020 4:03 +0000

Hey guys,

thanks for the great info in this thread already. It's really helpful. I looked around for ages and couldn't find anything other than the cheap ebay locks to fit my model hilux (2006 SR5). The actuator has 2 wires coming off it, green and blue. but the supplied wiring harness has 3 wires, green, blue and red. Any ideas what the red wire would be for? Everything I've read and watched only uses 2 wires. Is the red just redundant?
Martyhing

Postby specwarop on Tue, 12 May 2020 8:03 +0000

I take it its cheaper to buy this suntec kit then the other kits that have plugs connecting directly into the existing looms?
specwarop

Postby Martyhing on Tue, 12 May 2020 8:12 +0000

The one I got was unbranded, but yes it was much cheaper than the pop and lock or wolf 4x4 kits.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/283410107961

I know you get what you pay for. I was happy to pay for a premium product. I actually looked really hard to try to find a supplier of one of the quality kits, but could not source them for my car.
Martyhing

Postby specwarop on Wed, 13 May 2020 11:12 +0000

Is there much to gain from the more expensive systems? Do they operate better? What do you mean by pop and lock?

I noticed one kit on ebay with the plugs, plugs into the loom at the fuel flap?
Maybe possible to run the cheap kits wires to there?
specwarop

Postby Martyhing on Wed, 13 May 2020 11:54 +0000

I haven't seen the more expensive units in the flesh, so don't really know. I assume you get a wiring harness that just plug straight to the factory wiring and perhaps better quality actuator. 'Pop and Lock" is just a brand. They make units for the newer hiluxes.

Not sure where it would plug into the loom at the fuel flap. My model doesn't have any wiring near there. Routing the wiring is not my issue. I think the ebay kit i got just has a redundant wire in the harness. I'll try to install it over the weekend and report back.
Martyhing

Postby specwarop on Thu, 14 May 2020 7:03 +0000

Yeh regarding the fuel flap connection, what I looked at was for the current model.

I am sure someone would know why the suntec kit has the 3 wire wiring loom but 2 wire actuator...maybe one of the wires is an earth?
specwarop

Return to Electrical