Factory Cruise Control for SR D4D Auto

Re: Factory Cruise Control for SR D4D Auto

Postby boxhead55 on Sat, 17 May 2014 5:34 +0000

It is the brown wire going to the id1 junction block

It goes to the white with black trace wire which goes to the clock spring. Make sure that white with black wire found at the clock spring has a good earth so the switch commands can make the ecu. Image
boxhead55

Postby fastest1962 on Sat, 17 May 2014 7:23 +0000

Very interesting read, I have the 07 sr5 with Autron unit and it lights up but does not work. I want to check to make sure the wires are connected correctly. would someone have the wiring diagram at hand for me to check it's done right.

Thanks
Fastest1962
fastest1962

Postby MikeO on Sat, 17 May 2014 9:14 +0000

tonymtber wrote:E5-21 is the pin required to operate the cruise, basically a switched earth circuit at various resistances to give the ECU the correct command.

E6-14 is the brake switch giving power to the ECU/Cruise circuit. Power is cut when the brake is pressed.
E6-15 is the second brake switch circuit to the ECU. Normally open, provides power when pressed.

E6-10 is the clutch switch circuit to the ECU. Normally open, provides power when pressed.

Assuming I'm correct here, E615 & E610 are basically doing the same thing, so why is the clutch switch needed?
I've checked mine, & E6 14&15 are already there and E521 & E610 are free.

I have the same wiring problems on my 09 manual Hilux. The reason for E6-10 would be to cut out cruise control when the clutch pedal is pressed to keep the engine from revving up. Tapping the break should do the same thing.
I haven't had any luck yet getting my cruise control to work either. Originally I didn't know about the clutch switch on E6-10 until Boxhead posted that part of the wiring diagram. Would some one please post up the whole cruise control wiring diagram for a manual model. There must be something else not hooked up that keeps the ECU from bringing up E5-21 to a positive state. When Boxhead posted up the clutch switch, I thought I had an ah ha moment, until I realized the the switch is normally open so shouldn't affect cruise control operation. I haven't tried it but I suppose it is possible that the clutch would have to be pushed in to arm E5-21, change it to a positive state, but I doubt it.
When I run mini Techstream, it does report that the Cruise Control ECU exists.
On the automatic models with cruise control, does the transmission need to be in a particular gear for CC to work? There must be a transmission signal also to the ECU if that is so. I wonder if the manual wiring would also need this signal to work?
MikeO

Postby MikeO on Sat, 17 May 2014 11:03 +0000

I found this quote on the Pradopoint forum:

OK, so now I have the CC working. My initial hypothesis was correct, i.e. that an open circuit on the clutch switch caused the system to disallow a set of the cruise control. I hotwired it with a jumper, but I will order the real part from Toyota (assuming it doesn`t cost a million bucks).

I will try this on my Hilux and see if E5-21 will go to 12 volts.
Mike
MikeO

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 18 May 2014 2:25 +0000

Hear you go. Had to spread over 3 pages. I know you have a manual so just disregard the auto inputs all the rest are the same

Keep us up to date.
boxhead55

Postby tonymtber on Sun, 18 May 2014 4:24 +0000

MikeO wrote:I found this quote on the Pradopoint forum:

OK, so now I have the CC working. My initial hypothesis was correct, i.e. that an open circuit on the clutch switch caused the system to disallow a set of the cruise control. I hotwired it with a jumper, but I will order the real part from Toyota (assuming it doesn`t cost a million bucks).

Mike

Keep us posted Mike.

If the clutch switch is normally open it shouldnt affect the operation of the cruise....its just a safety so if the clutch is press the cruise is cancelled.

I think the E1/7 earth is the key for me to get it working.
tonymtber

Postby Anthracite on Sun, 18 May 2014 6:04 +0000

tonymtber wrote:I think the E1/7 earth is the key for me to get it working.

Let me know how you go with that, I had a quick hunt around today but didn't get very far :P
Anthracite

Postby tonymtber on Mon, 19 May 2014 2:14 +0000

tonymtber wrote:

Mike

Keep us posted Mike.

If the clutch switch is normally open it shouldnt affect the operation of the cruise....its just a safety so if the clutch is press the cruise is cancelled.

I think the E1/7 earth is the key for me to get it working.

Checked the E7/7 Earth today & its connected to the ECU. Tested it at the back of the connection & the earth is good, so its not the fix I was looking for.

Maybe doing the hotwire on E6/10 will activate the cruise.....fingers crossed.
tonymtber

Postby MikeO on Mon, 19 May 2014 8:49 +0000

The Pradopoint forum post mentions that once the clutch switch was jumpered, his Prado would over rev when the clutch was pushed . So be prepaired for this if jumpering works. Let us know how this goes.
MikeO

Postby tonymtber on Tue, 20 May 2014 6:28 +0000

Do you know what they did to bypass the clutch switch ?
tonymtber

Postby MikeO on Tue, 20 May 2014 10:00 +0000

tonymtber wrote:Do you know what they did to bypass the clutch switch ?

That would be jumpering E6-10 on the ECU plug to +12 volts in some way. I'm going to try to jumper it to E5-9 which is Ignition switch on and see if that will work. In the Pradopoint forum, the poster had a plug dangling near the clutch which had +12 on one lead and a wire to E6-10 on the other lead. He just jumpered across the two plug contacts and that allowed the cruise control to work according to the post.
MikeO

Postby MikeO on Thu, 22 May 2014 5:11 +0000

Mike

Tried this with no luck. I did make one discovery though that might help others. The clutch switch which is normally open mounts on the clutch stop which is on the drivers side of the clutch. When the clutch is not pressed, it presses against the switch closure providing 12 volts to E6-10 which enables cruise control. When you depress the clutch, the clutch switch opens removing 12 volts from E6-10. I think my problem is that my ECU part number 89661-0k440 is just not fully wired for cruise control which is why I don't get 12 volts on E5-21. My best guess is that if you get 12 volts on E5-21 with the ign switch on, you are set for cruise control but it won't function in a manual transmission model unless the clutch switch is installed.
MikeO

Postby boxhead55 on Thu, 22 May 2014 5:36 +0000

E5 21 is your cruise control switch earth input there will not ever e 12 v there. Refer pic in post #53. Put an home meter there you need to get those earth resistance values at the point. If you don't you need to supply a good earth to the input wire of you clock spring wire that goes to the cruise stick.
boxhead55

Postby MikeO on Thu, 22 May 2014 6:27 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:E5 21 is your cruise control switch earth input there will not ever e 12 v there. Refer pic in post #53. Put an home meter there you need to get those earth resistance values at the point. If you don't you need to supply a good earth to the input wire of you clock spring wire that goes to the cruise stick.

Hey boxhead55, you are confusing me here. First I don't have a clock spring and there is no stalk wiring available. According to the diagram one leg of the CC switch goes to ground and the other leg to to E5-21. For the voltages to meet the diagnostic criteria for the CC switch, E5-21 must supply 12 volts when the CC switch is open. That is also one of diagnostic criteria in the manual for testing CC. The various resistances that the CC switch forms provides a voltage divider that pull E5-21 down to the various levels read by the ECU for its functions. Reset will short out E5-21 pulling it down to zero volts. Without 12 volts on E5-21 there could be no voltage divider. As an aside, when I measure E5-21 on the ECU to ground with an ohmmeter, I get an open circuit making me think it is not connected in the ECU. Am I missing something here? Also thanks very much for your help!
MikeO

Postby tonymtber on Thu, 29 May 2014 11:00 +0000

MikeO wrote:
boxhead55 wrote:E5 21 is your cruise control switch earth input there will not ever e 12 v there. Refer pic in post #53. Put an home meter there you need to get those earth resistance values at the point. If you don't you need to supply a good earth to the input wire of you clock spring wire that goes to the cruise stick.

Hey boxhead55, you are confusing me here. First I don't have a clock spring and there is no stalk wiring available. According to the diagram one leg of the CC switch goes to ground and the other leg to to E5-21. For the voltages to meet the diagnostic criteria for the CC switch, E5-21 must supply 12 volts when the CC switch is open. That is also one of diagnostic criteria in the manual for testing CC. The various resistances that the CC switch forms provides a voltage divider that pull E5-21 down to the various levels read by the ECU for its functions. Reset will short out E5-21 pulling it down to zero volts. Without 12 volts on E5-21 there could be no voltage divider. As an aside, when I measure E5-21 on the ECU to ground with an ohmmeter, I get an open circuit making me think it is not connected in the ECU. Am I missing something here? Also thanks very much for your help!

I went through the CC testing procedure as per the Toyota Tech manual. All good until I got to testing the voltages at E5-21....same thing no voltage.

I'm beginning to think that we are missing something major, or the CC is disabled at the ECU level for manuals.
tonymtber

Postby MikeO on Fri, 30 May 2014 1:25 +0000

tonymtber wrote:I went through the CC testing procedure as per the Toyota Tech manual. All good until I got to testing the voltages at E5-21....same thing no voltage.
I'm beginning to think that we are missing something major, or the CC is disabled at the ECU level for manuals.

Tony do you happen to have Toyota TIS Mini to read the ECU? I am curious if your Cruise Control ECU shows up on its discovery test as it does on mine. Also I can read the ECU number off the side of the computer through the glove box. What is your ECU model number? Maybe some others out there can give the model number of their Hilux ECU's that have factory installed CC with a manual transmission and what year model. It would also be nice to know if automatic in the same year models have the same or different ECU's.
MikeO

Postby tonymtber on Fri, 30 May 2014 1:11 +0000

I have Techstream....just starting to learn how to use it.
tonymtber

Postby MikeO on Sun, 08 Jun 2014 7:45 +0000

tonymtber wrote:I have Techstream....just starting to learn how to use it.

Hey Tony, now that you have Techstream working, how many ECU's does it discover, does it show one for cruise control?
MikeO

Postby tonymtber on Sun, 08 Jun 2014 7:18 +0000

Yeah i've had a look and gone into the cruise, but there is no data listed. I'm beginning to think its disabled at the ecu.

Wondering if if possible to reflash the ecu with Sr5 ecu? Will have to keep investigating
tonymtber

Postby mufasa6868 on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 9:13 +0000

Hi

Has anyone sorted it yet? I'm also interested in installing it in my 3.0 d4d
mufasa6868

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical