Redarc BCDC1225 wiring guide

Redarc BCDC1225 wiring guide

Postby Dapperdavo on Thu, 02 Apr 2015 8:19 +0000

Hi Guys.

I have searched and searched with google and using NewHilux but haven't quite gotten the answers I need.

My question relates to the Redarc BCDC1225 wiring. I have read the manual but just need some clarification. I am sure there are a lot of you who have already configured your dual battery systems.

Overview:
I have a 2013 Toyota Hilux with an ARB canopy. I want to install a dual battery system in the back of my canopy. I also want to do most of the work myself as in drilling hole in tub and installing the cable, battery box and Redarc BCDC 1225 battery charger. I will then take it to an auto electrician just to check my configs and make any adjustments as I am by no means an electrical person.

My questions are:
1.) Can I just have 6m 6B&S red cable from starter battery to the tub or does it have to be red and black?
2.) Can I just splice and solder the blue (ignition) cable to the red cable and solder or does it have to be linked to an existing ignition cable?
3.) Where does the yellow Battery config wire go?
4.) What amperage fuse do I use from the AUX battery to the load?
5.) Where does the actual voltage drop take place? Between the starter battery and the Redarc battery charger or from the Redarc Battery charger to the load (fridge)?

This has been an epic research project for me but I have spent hours trying to figure all this out. I hope your answers shed more light onto this much talked about subject.

Thanks guys..

DapperDavo..
Dapperdavo

Re: Redarc BCDC1225 wiring guide

Postby 80scruiser on Thu, 02 Apr 2015 10:18 +0000

Hi DapperDavo
I am not an auto elec but I am a motor mechanic so do have a little bit of an idea about wiring. Lol.
1/ You only have to run the red wire from the main battery to the BCDC in the tub so long as you have a good earth somewhere. You may have to just run an earth wire from the BCDC through the tub to the chassis to get a good ground. So you don't have to go all the way back to the main batery.
2/ I wouldn't splice the blue one to the red feed cable. I run one to the ignition as per the instructions as it acts as a battery isolator. If you splice it in I am led to believe it won't isolate when the ignition is off so will have both battery's hooked up all the time.
3/ The yellow batter config wire is run depending on what sort of battery you have as your second battery. If your second battery is an AGM or GEL you leave it disconnected. If it is a standard lead acid battery hook it up to ground and if it is a calcium battery hook it up to 12v positive ie splice it into the feed wire from your main battery. This is the wire that tells the BCDC what rate to charge your second battery as they all have a different optimum charge rate.
4/ 40amp. Both sides.
5/ You will get voltage drop along any wire so the BCDC should be mounted as close to your second battery
as possible. That way your wires run from the BCDC to the second battery will be as short as possible which will reduce the amount of voltage drop.

One further thing I found when I did mine was I had a heap of trouble finding the recommended but splices to join the wires. I ended up getting them from Middies electrical wholesalers as no automotive parts placed or even JayCar had them so try the electrical wholesale places. Middies had them in stock. It did help that my son worked there but it is a stocked item for them. In regards to the wire, I purchased 10mm2 wire for the whole job.

If you don't have the instructions send me a PM and I can scan them and email them to you as I do have the original instructions.

Hope this helps
Scott
2010 SR5 D4D Auto ARB bar & suspension, Rear Elocker.
80scruiser

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 02 Apr 2015 10:26 +0000

Hey there Dave.
Looks like Scot beat me to it :lol:

It can be a steep learning curve but good on you for giving it a crack.
It does get confusing with all the information, you just need to read and research more. Most of these questions should be answered by the redarc install instructions. There is superb customer support from redarc too - email enquires are answered very quickly and in detail.
This is a good thread if you havnt read already:
http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8642
Some more BCDC info here. Just do a search for BCDC:
http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20448
http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=22725
1225 instructions I believe you may have taken the diagram from:
http://www.redarc.com.au/images/uploads/images/BCDC1225_Instruction_Manual.pdf
I'm by no stretch a autoelectrician so perhaps one will be able to chip in to the below:

1. "Wire the ‘Common Ground’ wire to a ground point that is common to both the Start
battery (or the Solar Input Ground wire) and the Auxiliary battery to be charged.
This point may be on the chassis of the vehicle, on the chassis of the trailer/
camper/caravan or directly wired to both batteries, depending on your installation
requirements." (page 7) 6B&S twin (red and black) might be your best bet

2. "To select the Alternator charging mode the BLUE ‘Source Select’ wire must be
connected to Input Positive." (page 3) I extended and ran a wire to +ve but mine was in the engine bay so wasn't as far.

3. "Wire the ‘Battery Type’ wire according to the type of Auxiliary battery you have
installed. This wire is monitored when the charger is not charging." (page 7)
What sort of Auxillary battery ae you running? Use the table at the bottom of page 7. Lead/acid run to ground/-ve.

4. What sort of accessories are you going to run? You could run individual fuses rated for each accessory or run them from a distribution fuse block if running multiple accessories.

5. Both; but if you keep the cable between BCDC and auxillary battery < 1 m and run the recommended 6 B&S between starter and BCDC you should be fine. Wire the ‘Output Battery Positive’ to the Auxiliary battery positive terminal. "Ideally the BCDC unit should be a maximum of 1 metre in cable length from the battery positive terminal, and should be wired with a minimum of 7.71mm² or 8 B&S cable" (page 7)

I'd suggest getting any soldering and splicing done by your sparky - its not just a matter of cut and join.

"The heavy gauge wires on the BCDC1225 unit carry peak currents of up to 35 Amps, and it is important to make a good, low resistance, electrical connection that will not degrade over time. Failure to make a good, reliable contact may
result in breakdown of the wire insulation and cause a short circuit, or worst case a fire. We recommend that this activity be undertaken by an appropriately trained person" (page 8)

You could have chat to your sparky, then run all the wires, mount hardware then get him to connect for piece of mind.
That's what I'm going to do with my next BCDC instal which will be a bit more complex having solar, multiple accessories + hopefully a battery link. Some people use the analogy "I wouldn't wire up my own house so why risk wiring up my car"
Fair analogy, greater risks in the house but if your not 100% confident get professional input.
Just my opinion but for an extra $100-200 help from an autoelectrician you should have years of worry free enjoyment traveling in the lux.
DeadlyBeast

Postby Dapperdavo on Thu, 02 Apr 2015 3:29 +0000

Hi Scott and DeadlyBeast.

Thanks a stack for your valuable input.

@Scott: I think I will leave the ignition cable to the auto electrician as I don't know (as yet) what wire I would need to connect it too. All you other replies made good sense and I thank you for that.

I do have a installation manual that \I downloaded from Redarc's site. I think when I comes to the crunch, I will phone them for additional info if needed.

I suppose I am a bit of a do it yourself person and it is not all about saving money (although that is a great by-product)... I like big learning curves too!

Now I just have to source the battery charger, wires, battery etc. and take it from there.

@DeadlyBeast.
Yeah, you are right about paying an auto electrician something just to finalise the project. Wouldn't want to get stuck somewhere due to my negligence....

At the moment, I will just be running an Engel 40ltr fridge and a couple of led's. Later on, I will probably purchase a solar panel or two, but first I want to get the initial electrical instalment in...

Will post stuff later and let you know how I got on..

Cheers and regards.
Davo..
Dapperdavo

BCDC 1225D

Postby gibbon_tamer on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 7:16 +0000

Hi there, im going to get one of these BCDC1225D's soon and wire it up. Just wondering if the solar input works without the unit being on? From what iv read, the blue wire has to be connected to an ignition wire so that the unit turns on with the ignition. I have a 200 watt pannel that will need to run the fridge 24/7 so the solar reg inside this unit will have to operate without the car being on. Early days researching this unit so just trying to wrap my head around the installation.
gibbon_tamer

Re: BCDC 1225D

Postby dave g on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 8:10 +0000

The unit is turned on by the key to charge from the car when running when turned off will change from the solar panels they are wired up different they will have the wiring diagram easy to do
dave g

Re: BCDC 1225D

Postby gibbon_tamer on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 8:13 +0000

awesome mate, thanks for that.
gibbon_tamer

Postby DeadlyBeast on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 8:15 +0000

threads merged
Hey there GT - merging these threads to keep 1225 info together. Essentially the same unit in terms of how they are wired however the 1225D model "will charge from both solar and the alternator simultaneously. And, with built-in 'Green Power Priority' it will select solar charging first, meaning less load on the alternator."
DeadlyBeast

Postby Mulder030 on Tue, 05 Dec 2017 5:57 +0000

I have been doing the same research Dapperdavo.
I don't know if this helps but here is the plan I have put together. I am still yet to discuss it with someone who is actually qualified as I have some double pole, double switch switches in there. But this is for the lift off canopy to become self sufficient whilst not on the ute.

Would like peoples input if they see something.

Ohh yeah i didn't have the same colours available to colour code the wires but you should get the gist.
and this is only the power cables, no earth is shown.
Mulder030

Postby Critter350 on Tue, 05 Dec 2017 8:11 +0000

You’ll want a main fuse closer to the batteries. Have to think on the rest.

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby gibbon_tamer on Sat, 09 Dec 2017 8:04 +0000

I have a 200watt solar system, im mounting the bcdc1225d within a meter of it, would i be able to run the solar negative straight into the 6mm earth wire that comes off the bcdc then run that to the aux battery negative?
gibbon_tamer

Postby AIM1 on Thu, 25 Jun 2020 3:40 +0000

Where is the best places you guys have found to drill the tub to route wires through for the fridge?
AIM1

Postby dave g on Thu, 25 Jun 2020 4:20 +0000

No nead to drill holes there is a gap in the corners behind the tail lights stick your head under with a light and look up.
dave g

Return to Electrical