Adding Steering Wheel Controls?

Re: Adding Steering Wheel Controls?

Postby Mrmal on Sun, 06 Mar 2016 4:52 +0000

Ok so I did this mod. Got a 2014 wheel on a 2007, have changed the clock spring and wired it. The earth is hooked up and I have three switch wires. Swithes illuminate.

1 runs the up/down station & volume (multi function on one wire),
1 runs a Display button (multi function on one wire).
1 runs the "mode" button. (single function wire)

I have differing resistances from the earth to the switch wires dependent on the button pressed. However when "programming" the botton on the head unit it automatically sees a "button pressed" on both of the two multi function switches but not the "mode" button which is a single function button.

Does any one have any knowledge of this - maybe I need to install resistors or something in the line? I have zero continuity across the switch to earth until I press a button - I am struggling to see how the wheel is getting a signal from the switch.

Cheers
Mal
Mrmal

Postby fortunato_0d on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 9:00 +0000

I have been reading up on the forum about upgrading to audio controls on the steering wheel, but most info relates to later models connecting to stardard toyota head units.

So I installed a steering wheel with audio function controls, following the advice given here.
Thanks to StevenS for his pics of the wiring plug above.

I have a 2007 SR5 which came with no steering wheel controls at all.
I found a wheel on fleabay that I was happy with, this one is from a Camry (Grande, I think) and sourced the clock spring to match.

I removed the wheel using this as a guide;
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/326-c ... 011-a.html

After about and hour or so had this to hang onto, i was a bit anxious about the airbag deploying but its been okay so far.

I have installed an Android H/U (pumpkin type) so once the wiring was soldered together it was just a matter of teach/learn for the button functions.

The only thing I couldn’t get sorted was the wheel illumination.
The steering wheel came with the Cruise control stalk also, I have no use for it at the moment but it makes me wonder if I could retro fit that also.

As a side note it doesn’t have the full functionality of the Minister for Finances Prado but it beats having to reach over and touch the knobs :D
fortunato_0d

Postby Mrmal on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:39 +0000

Find where the illumination wires come out of the switch and trace back to the airbag clock spring - supply an illumination source to that pin from one of the illuminated switches and it will work..... that's what I did with mine.

Mal
Mrmal

Postby bee08t on Sat, 16 Sep 2017 5:17 +0000

Hi, Great write up, I'm thinking about putting a corolla steering wheel in my 08 Hilux, which clock spring Will I need the one to suit the corolla steering wheel or a later model hilux one to suit the hilux steering column? I did read here that the wiring connection is the same but what about the way the clock spring clips in place on the steering column?
bee08t

Postby bee08t on Sun, 08 Oct 2017 6:56 +0000

For anyone that would like to know, I just fitted a corolla zre182r sport leather steering wheel to my 08 sr5,
It fits good everything lines up and looks great, air bag, horn and cruise control all work, well no abs light on,
The corolla clock spring doesn’t fit the wiring connector on the column side is different and it didn’t clip into place so I bought a clock spring to suit 2014 hilux, and the corolla steering wheel wiring doesn’t plug Into it so After researching the correct wiring connector, I found it on fleabay, so hope to get radio controls working soon.
Thanks to this write up for getting me this far, but I might have a bit of trouble running wires from the clock spring to the head unit, it’s a 2011 hilux radio, anyone got any tips on this?
bee08t

Postby Critter350 on Mon, 09 Oct 2017 5:55 +0000

Does the airbag from your stock wheel fit into the replacement wheel? Or did you get a wheel with airbag already fitted?

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 9:12 +0000

Great thread...

Keen to swap my 2007 no controls wheel to a newer facelift gen 7 with the controls.

From reading here looks very possible but I will need to source a clock spring to suit as in the model of the new wheel right ?

I have an after market head unit so would just need to get a wiring kit to suit with inputs that accept the newer model hilux

thanks
lerroy

Postby Blackdelux on Tue, 23 Jan 2018 2:34 +0000

HI ALL
can anyone get a camry wiring diagram for steering wheel?
ive bought one to put in lux but there's more than three wires too hook up
:oops:
Blackdelux

Postby bee08t on Sun, 11 Mar 2018 11:19 +0000

Finally got around to wiring up these steering wheel control buttons, there’s only 5 wires coming through the clock spring in regards to the control buttons,
For me with the Corolla steering wheel it was
Black to earth on the radio.
Red to illumination , green wire as shown above.
Green and brown to the radio these two wires control everything volume up down, track up down, phone on off, and mode.
That leaves the yellow wire from the ‘Disp’ button, the only button on the right hand side of the steering wheel I can’t figure out where to hook this up to the multi information display, can someone please give me some ideas where and how to hook it up.
bee08t

Postby Storto1 on Mon, 27 Apr 2020 5:04 +0000

Has anyone worked out the AC controls
I have worked out the voice camand and all the audio buttons just not the AC ones
Storto1

Postby tobinc on Sun, 25 Oct 2020 11:41 +0000

I have installed steering wheel control in my 2011 Toyota hilux 3.0 SR trayback. I purchased both on wish.
around 30 bucks for the Spiral Cable Clock Spring and 50 bucks for the steering wheel controls.

all very easy to install and seeing how to on youtube.
Only issue i had was the additional earth wire for steering wheel control plug was earth for horn.
Great in away to have a spare.

I probably did it more expensive way of purchasing the aero 2012 CHTO15C 130 bucks and the iso pioneer for the headunit lead for 30 bucks..
Aerpro was wrong about me getting the 2011 pack and I missed out on the 16 pin plug.

only volume up, down, source and changing track back, forward, mic, and lum light lefthand side are working.
Answer and make call buttons a does not work.

I am happy because i am sick of reaching across for the volume. :D
tobinc

Postby adampeck1 on Tue, 13 Dec 2022 2:36 +0000

Storto1 wrote:Has anyone worked out the AC controls
I have worked out the voice camand and all the audio buttons just not the AC ones

Hey Storto

Did you ever work this out? I would like to do the same to mine with voice and climate, I already have the controls in there. How did you get voice control working? Do you have a factory or aftermarket head unit?

Cheers mate, Adam
adampeck1

Previous

Return to Electrical