Another brake controller install

Another brake controller install

Postby bcs0228 on Fri, 06 Jun 2014 7:38 +0000

Hi Guys,

After reading the many great posts on brake controller installs, I decided to fit a Tekonsha P3 prodigy brake controller into the ashtray position on my 2013 SR Hilux dual-cab. Thought I would share a few photos of the install.

The first photo shows the removal of the front fascia. Note on the 2013 hilux that the knobs do not come off. The whole unit just pulls away.

Unplug the three cable looms from the fascia and let it hang down so you can remove the stereo. Also, you need to remove the two screws that secure the ashtray bracket to the dashboard so that the bracket can be removed. This took a while as the screws are partly obscured by the dash. I put a 90degree bend in the shaft of a small Philips screw driver and was able to remove the screws with some patience.

Undo the four screws that secure the stereo and remove it. Here is the model number for those that are interested:

And the connectors on the rear of the stereo:

Attach the Tekonsha mounting bracket into position as shown in the photo. Make sure that the screws are mounted as far apart as possible so you have clearance for the centre cable loom that attaches to the rear of the fascia.

The installed unit:

Put all your cable in some split tubing so it's nice and neat:

I bought the brake controller from autoelecau on ebay. For $195 you get the controller, a 30amp resettable fuse, connectors and 8m of twin core cable which I ran to the battery.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELECTRIC-TRAILER-BRAKE-CONTROLLER-TEKONSHA-P3-HEAVY-DUTY-WIRING-KIT-NEW-/400347335508?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d368f8b54

I used a diode between the brake sensing wire on the controller and the brake light wire that comes off the brake peddle. The diode was a 1N5404 type from Jaycar. As others have mentioned, it's easier to tap into the wire where it feeds into the instrument panel junction box under the steering wheel rather than off the brake light switch itself.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZR1014

I bought the split tubing from Supercheap and I bought some additional single core cable from Springers.

Running the brake wire from the controller to the 7-pin plug at the rear of the car was the only thing that caused some hassles. I wanted to run it down the passenger side chassis rail but I could only feed the wire part-way before it became stuck. The solution was to feed some 13mm poly pipe down the rail first. It's strong enough that it doesn't kink. I fed it in from the back of the car up to the engine bay, poked it out through a side hole on the rail, and then attached the brake wire to it and pulled it back through.

Everything works well and the controller is in a good position and doesn't obstruct anything. The only negative with having the controller in the ash tray position is that it's not easy to remove. If you like to take the controllers out of the vehicle when it's not in use then the ashtray position may not be a good idea.

Hope this post is of some use.posting.php?mode=post&f=11#
bcs0228

Re: Another brake controller install

Postby knoxy on Fri, 06 Jun 2014 9:39 +0000

Good write up mate! Let us know how it performs? Smart idea with that tubing!
09 Dual Cab SR: Stallion Tray | ARB Winch Bar | Warn 9500 Winch | Ultimate 3" lift| Narva Ultima 225 | Snorkel |MR Diff-Relocation | 32" BFG A/Ts +0 offset| Flares |
knoxy

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 06 Jun 2014 9:59 +0000

Just a note for others, the blue wire to connect the 7pin on the rear of the lux, comes from the rear loom (OEM) up through the floor of the cab under the driver seat carpet where it terminates. Look under the cab, under the driver seat to see the loom. This is the blue wire to the controller. Use this rather than feeding another wire the hard way. ;) Unless of course if you prefer to use a larger capacity wire.

cheers :D
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby bcs0228 on Fri, 06 Jun 2014 11:15 +0000

Good point if you have the OEM loom fitted.

I have an aftermarket tow bar with a trailer plug that taps into the rear wiring harness through a Trailervision relay module. I don't know if that blue wire is even fitted to my car, plus it was going to be too much of a hassle to go under the seat.

I did run a larger capacity wire, although it was probably overkill as I'm only towing a single axle camper trailer. I ran it down the chassis rail inside some split tube. That way I figure there is no way it can be damaged while offroad.

Regards
Martin
bcs0228

Postby aaronpricey on Sat, 07 Jun 2014 2:34 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Just a note for others, the blue wire to connect the 7pin on the rear of the lux, comes from the rear loom (OEM) up through the floor of the cab under the driver seat carpet where it terminates. Look under the cab, under the driver seat to see the loom. This is the blue wire to the controller. Use this rather than feeding another wire the hard way. ;) Unless of course if you prefer to use a larger capacity wire.

cheers :D

Hey guys
I'm about to install the new redarc two pro and just traced out this wire into the cab! But lost it once it bundles up and heads into the dash!
The power windows also use a large blue wire!
Anyone know where it finishes so I can join there?
aaronpricey

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 07 Jun 2014 5:46 +0000

Aaron, if you have an OEM tow loom then the blue wire terminates under your seat. Lift the carpet/mat under the driver seat and there it is! ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby aaronpricey on Sun, 08 Jun 2014 3:28 +0000

Found it cheers mate, I was being lazy and seen a loom join the main harness and began to follow this and lost the blue wire!
aaronpricey

Postby stevo1111 on Thu, 01 Oct 2015 6:52 +0000

How did you get the ash tray bracket out without removing the main dash? Looks like after removing the screws the rest of the dash will get in the way of pulling it out. Im going to put a uhf in there if i can get it out. Cheers.
stevo1111

Postby martynvella on Fri, 02 Oct 2015 4:33 +0000

Why did you use the diode?
martynvella

Postby martynvella on Fri, 02 Oct 2015 4:36 +0000

Oh crap, didn't look at the original post date again.
martynvella

Postby Lurka on Tue, 09 Oct 2018 1:55 +0000

G’day onlynew here and I’m not really sure how to use this forum so an apology in advance.
I’m installing a Tekonsha primus to my 2006 Hilux. It’s all going well but how do I attach the red wire to the brake switch. It’s in a real awkward spot are there any secrets to this?
Lurka

Return to Electrical