ABS , VSC & traction control light on & won't turn off.

Postby hilux4x4x3 on Mon, 26 May 2014 4:43 +0000

Hi All, hope you can help.
I have a 10/2013 d4d dual cab.
On Sunday I started car as per usual, abs VSC & traction control lights stay on.
I took it to my local Toyota dealer today, they cleared the codes ( don't know what ones were up) but abs light is still on.
Anyone else had a similar problem? Anyone got any ideas on the cause.
I haven't been off-road, thru mud or water. Just blacktop so far.
Thank in anticipation, Jeff.
hilux4x4x3

Re: ABS , VSC & traction control light on & won't turn off.

Postby rbass87 on Mon, 26 May 2014 5:50 +0000

Hi im pretty sure I had the same issue with mine, toyota ended up changing out the brake light switch I think it was. I had the handbrake light, abs, and both traction control lights come up on the dash
rbass87

Postby boxhead55 on Mon, 26 May 2014 5:56 +0000

Brake light switch.
A b correlation.
Becoming a common issue.
Will be covered under warranty.

The brake light switch has 4 wires. 2 contacts.
One for the brake lights and one for the computer components.
Like you have described above .

If they do not correspond in operation it will cause your issue.

You can dissemble the switch and clean the contacts if out of warranty but you will be fine.

This is why the light came back on after clearing the code. As when you put your foot on the brake the computer would have noticed the problem.
If the computer can not tell correctly when your foot is on the brake. The above mentioned items can not work correctly.

Hope this helps.
boxhead55

Postby cphet on Mon, 26 May 2014 6:15 +0000

Check your battery terminal and low voltage batery.
cphet

Postby hilux4x4x3 on Mon, 26 May 2014 6:34 +0000

Thanks to all that replied.
I'll chase up the items you've suggested.
Let you know how I go.
Thanks again.
hilux4x4x3

Postby hilux4x4x3 on Wed, 28 May 2014 5:37 +0000

Update; my local Toyota dealer now think it may be the abs module. They are checking & double checking as they apparently need approval from Toyota to replace this part. They're telling me it's worth nearly $4000!
In the meantime I'm waiting patiently to see what transpires!
hilux4x4x3

Postby packeteer on Wed, 28 May 2014 8:19 +0000

I had a similar thing happen. the lights would come on as soon as I went over 40km/h.

a computer reset fixed it :)
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby comp.dad on Wed, 28 May 2014 9:32 +0000

Mine was a blown fuse... Interior light was also not working....
comp.dad

Postby Kata on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 6:48 +0000

ill edit my bad engrish...trying to type on an ipad.
just fixed typo's..

lights are still on

Is this a common issue...

Mine did exactly the same today(Saturday). Started fine when for a15 minute drive. Hilux sat for an hour maybe when I got back in the VSC & traction control(on & flashing).

Dropped in to local Toyota dealer service dept(10am Saturday...today) sorry mate can't look at it today skeleton staff booked in services only, come back during the week...hmmmm
Tried turning ignition off on
Tried disconnecting battery for over an hour.

Any suggestions as to how to manually reset

Monday still flashing.

Cheers
Kata

Postby Kata on Fri, 18 Jul 2014 8:28 +0000

got in at the dealer local Toyota yesterday and lucked out got the foreman who knew his stuff.
he reset the code for me and told me that the issue can happen if and when the steering wheel gets adjusted.
In my case I had a wheel alignment and Toyota dude told me can cause the c**k sensor to activate the VSC and traction control.set all good

all re
Kata

Postby Kata on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:09 +0000

just to update

Toyota cleared my code the other day

asked me if someone had played with steering or suspension

i fessed up, as it had had a wheel allignement, big rut offroad. He said fair enough used for what theyre meant for
good to see

Toyota foreman told me that it can affect the clock sensor and another sensor when getting an allignement

So I am happy its all cleared.

Foreman also picked up there is an ECU upgrade for mine so in it goes tomorrow that should help with the auto trans temp sensor coming on offroad in 4wd high(3 time s now on the same day)

Happy with foreman

cheers
Kata

Postby bfg160 on Wed, 30 Jul 2014 3:05 +0000

Hi all , i have the same problem with my 2013 SR5.
Have had a wheel alignment done recently and also needed to re center the steering wheel.
Ever since the vsc and traction control lights have continued to flash, I have contacted our local toyota garage and its yet to go in for a check.
My question is can the vsc/traction control be permanently disabled? I spend a lot of time on shingle roads and the factory calibration on the vsc/traction control is terrible and makes the ute unsafe especially on corrugated roads.
I have also noticed that the ute struggles in paddocks whilst in two wheel drive without the traction control working? Is this because the the rear diff is controlled electronically instead of mechanically?

thanks for any help
bfg160

Postby Kata on Fri, 01 Aug 2014 12:55 +0000

My understanding that the VSC taction control will only stay diasbled (from holding the button for 5-10 sec) upto speads above 50km/hr

after that there is no option, VSC/traction can not be kept disabled.

Others may know more
Kata

Postby wedmondson on Mon, 04 Aug 2014 4:46 +0000

Hey Kata, thanks for posting up your experiences as it's helped with my weekend's adventures.

I hit a stump/rock or sometime while out collecting firewood on the weekend. The force was strong enough to spin the steering wheel out of my grip, thankfully I only drive with one hand :lol: . When I got back out on the blacktop I noticed my new steering wheel position was about 10:30 rather than 12 o'clock. I looked down at the dash and noticed both traction control and VSC lights flashing on.

I had the ute dropped off this morning and got a wheel alignment done, that free firewood has now cost me $65, but at least the wheels are pointing in the same direction now.

The lights are still flashing so I searched the trusty NewHilux site came across your post.

I run a ScanGauge II so hopefully it'll clear the code tonight.

BobJane also mentioned I've broken a Centric Bolt, not sure what that's about yet - nothing on the Hilux Bible, but the wheel technician said it's probably caused by the stress of the 2" lift and associated 4X4ing. If anyone can shed some light on the Centric bolt it would be appreciated.
wedmondson

Postby Kata on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 1:38 +0000

Hey Wedwomdson,

Did the scanguage clear the code?
Kata

Postby wedmondson on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 4:08 +0000

Nah mate, I think it's a trip to Toyota unless you can shed any further light on the situation. Basically I ran the scan function and it said there were no errors.

I can verify the traction control if definitely not working, the combo of Sprint Booster and right foot confirmed that on the way back from Lancelin on the weekend.

As for the 'centric bolt', further research (actually reading the invoice from BobJane) referred to the Eccentric Bolt as part of the Upper Control Arm being broken. I'm guessing Toyota can fix that at the same time as resetting the VSC & traction control.
wedmondson

Postby NZMarkb on Tue, 02 Feb 2016 4:51 +0000

Thanks for the info guys (Found with a quick search)
I have exactly the same symptoms (Hit something and steering wheel at 10:30 rather than 12:00)
Will get an alignment done and see if the fault corrects itself otherwise it's a trip to the dealer to be touched to reset it.
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby nicebike on Tue, 02 Feb 2016 11:59 +0000

wedmondson wrote:Nah mate, I think it's a trip to Toyota unless you can shed any further light on the situation. Basically I ran the scan function and it said there were no errors.

I can verify the traction control if definitely not working, the combo of Sprint Booster and right foot confirmed that on the way back from Lancelin on the weekend.

As for the 'centric bolt', further research (actually reading the invoice from BobJane) referred to the Eccentric Bolt as part of the Upper Control Arm being broken. I'm guessing Toyota can fix that at the same time as resetting the VSC & traction control.

I am not aware of any eccentric bolt on the upper control arm. There are eccentric bushes on the LOWER control arm. If you have managed to break the through bolt holding the UCA to the chassis, things will be interesting.

Believe it or not, a kinked hose on my MAP filter brought on the VSC/TC light. I have no idea if it effected the operation of the VSC, 'cos the cause of the problem was easily found and fixed.
nicebike

Postby Pnut on Wed, 27 Apr 2016 8:47 +0000

Recently had the VSC light come on with the TC light flashing. All after a beach trip. Today it was sorted by resetting code by Toyota. Steering sensors and wheels sensors. Apparently it is not a common fault, cough :D Anyway, AUD 220 later and I'm all sorted! First time after 4 and a bit years of any trouble with my 2012 SR5.
Pnut

Postby TOYZX on Thu, 28 Apr 2016 5:05 +0000

220 to reset some codes! What a joke!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Next

Return to Electrical