SR Power Outlet

SR Power Outlet

Postby Peter on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 2:36 +0000

Hi, I'm wanting to put another power outlet in the cabin of my 07 SR, in the same position they are in an SR5.
The plug and wires are there behind the dash, and there is power at the drivers fuse box for the power outlet, but unfortunately no power at the plug.

Can anyone tell me if there is another fuse, or simple reason why I can't get power? Does anyone have a wiring diagram they could forward?
Cheers,
Peter
Peter

SR Power Outlet

Postby TOMUCH on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:06 +0000

Peter, I would not use the standard wiring for an accessory plug. I personally do not think it is good enough to handle the load.. especially if you intend on running a fridge from it. mobile phone chargers and the like are ok.. but fridges tend to draw a lot of current.. PM me with your Email address, I can send you a copy of the wiring diagram if you like. Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

SR Power Outlet

Postby Tunnel Rat on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:51 +0000

Peter keep us updated on how you fix this as I have been planing on doing the same.

thx
Rat
Tunnel Rat

SR Power Outlet

Postby McSumWay on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 8:42 +0000

I have run power direct from my aux battery (through a circuit breaker) to the second point. Purchased a plug from Repco that with a little filing fitted in perfect.

This gives me permanent power in the cab.

Used 6mm square cable to ensure no power drops. Also attached my invertor to this lead for running laptops,chargers etc.

Warren
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

SR Power Outlet

Postby Peter on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:09 +0000

My first preference is to connect to the existing wiring. All I intend it to power are phones/ipods/gps etc – nothing too serious.
When I get round to it and install dual batteries (could be a while…) I'll run a fat wire from the battery back into the tray to power the fridge.

The plug for the SR5 power outlet was directly behind the blank in the dash, taped up onto a loom. I'm lost as to why there isn't any power getting to this plug - there is power at the fuse box…. The Toyota service guy thought there might be different wiring between the SR and SR5. If this was the case, then why would there be a fuse and power in the fuse box? He suggested chasing the wire back through the dash – if it comes to that I reckon I'll just run a fatter wire back to the battery and do it properly.

I'm fitting a bulbar and I finishing the UHF this weekend and will be crawling under the dash anyway, so it won't be a problem to run a larger wire back to the battery to power both the UHF and power outlet.

Tomuch – pm sent.
Cheers
Pete
Peter

SR Power Outlet

Postby rodw on Fri, 18 Jul 2008 7:43 +0000

Pete,

Take the time and do the job properly. You can have a look at what I did on page 1 of this thread:

[URL]http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1406[/URL]

For a few extra dollars, buy a heavy duty outlet (mine came from ARB). Get a waterproof blade fuse holder with fly leads on it. Hook one end to the battery using a suitable lug, join the other to a good solid wire and run it back to the cig lighter. The earth, you can ground on any suitable metal part of the car, but I found it easier to run it back to a bolt above the LHS kick panel. Once it is all done slip in a fuse (say 20 amps) and you are done.

Then if you ever add a secpond batteyr, moving it on to the new battery will only take a couple of minutes!

You wiill sureley find the extra power handling useful for something one day!

Rod
rodw

Re: SR Power Outlet

Postby yinkwankuiwing on Wed, 16 Feb 2011 7:36 +0000

Peter wrote:Hi, I'm wanting to put another power outlet in the cabin of my 07 SR, in the same position they are in an SR5.
The plug and wires are there behind the dash, and there is power at the drivers fuse box for the power outlet, but unfortunately no power at the plug.

Can anyone tell me if there is another fuse, or simple reason why I can't get power? Does anyone have a wiring diagram they could forward?
Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter

Do you still think of this problem?
The reason is that there is no power outlet relay installed in the SR. I get the power by plugging a relay into a slot on the other side of the fuse box underneath the steering wheel. A bit difficult to reach, you may need a mirror, torch and a small hand.

I use the relay for the rear window defogger which is located left of the glove box. Take out the glove box and look to the left. As long as you do not use the defogger, you do not need to buy one.

This relay is a universal toyota relay for A/C clutch, fuel injection, etc. It cost $90 from toyota, $30 from supercheap. But there must be more than a thousand of it in any car wrecking yard.

Hope this would help.
yinkwankuiwing

Postby tvhilux on Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:40 +0000

can anyone tell me if the wiring is there in an SR 2011 face lift hilux and if the rear speaker wirng is there also. have had a look and cant see anything
tvhilux

Postby adamw on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 4:05 +0000

I simply ran a wire from my second battery (fused) straight to the socket, so that I have constant power inside the cab off the second battery.
adamw

Postby Wing on Fri, 23 Mar 2012 9:55 +0000

X2, it is very easy to connect two cables from the battery to the power outlet. There are two small finger like plastic tubes. Just cut of the tip of one of them, push a cable in and you will find the cable coming in under the passenger side dash. Most important thing is to put a fuse on the +ve cable closest to the battery to prevent underdash fire.
Wing

Postby kennyPL on Tue, 08 Sep 2020 8:03 +0000

Pretty long shot after such a long time, but has anyone can confirm that SR is prewired for power outlet, please?
MY12 4.0 V6 SR Dualcab
kennyPL

Return to Electrical