Easiest place to get a 12v line from behind the dash

Postby Unluckyalf on Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:44 +0000

As the subject title really.
I have a GPS stuck to the windscreen of my 'Lux and its currently drawing its power from the cigarette socket.
However, the GPS also came with another cable that has 2 bare wires on one end so it can be hardwired in for power.

What i would like to know is the best (easiest) place to pull 12v from that wont require me pulling the dash apart to feed the wires through.

Cheers in advance
Unluckyalf

Postby McSumWay on Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:48 +0000

The ciggie lighter is the best as it is attached to the ignition on circuits and also it is easy to access the back of the panel. Just attach the neg lead to a bolt somewhere.
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:56 +0000

Unlucky. If you remove the glove box there is a rubber boot the holds a wiring loom that goes through the firewall to the engine bay. It also has all the loom for the ECU, you can pull power through there. And pop off the plastic cover and have a second cig lighter in the car as well. If you have a dual batt you can connect it straight up to the batt due to the location of the loom or run it down to the cranker. I dont know if you have dual battery or if you want power if the ignition is turned off as well. Dont forget to fuse it at the battery end to stop any short circiuts playing havock with the hilux. I dont know how to wire to the accessories on the key though. All my extras come through the dual batt and are on all the time not keyed to the ignition.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby berniecam on Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:00 +0000

:eek: Just a thought,the low life's(oxygen thief's) that go around breaking window's ripping our gear off ,it might be an open invitation to see a or bracket on the dash or a wire going up near the screen.You might be better using the cig plug then removing it when you leave the car,taking it with you a bit of hassle but you still have it.CHEERS;)
berniecam

Postby Unluckyalf on Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:04 +0000

Cheers for the reply. So where do i run the wire from there??
I guess from there i would run it round the top of the drivers side footwell and up the side. Might have a looky on the weekend

/edit. Thatll teach me to be so slow in typing a reply. There was only 1 reply when i started!

Skog07, yes i have dual batteries and im not fussed about having power without ignition as the GPS wont be tracking anything with the ignition off (i hope!)
I might have a look at the loom and try to tap off a 12v line that will already be fused. Current draw of my GPS will be minimal so it shouldnt affect anything else on that line.
My only thought now is feeding the plug end though towards the windscreen.

Berniecam... i wont go tempting fate by suggesting that it will be ok being hardwired :) Its only a cheapo GPS anyway.
I have had cars broken into before in the UK and broken glass (however annoying) i can deal with. Its the scewdriver to the locks that really p's me off!
Unluckyalf

Return to Electrical