Aftermarket Reverse Camera

Aftermarket Reverse Camera

Postby JohnnyBT on Thu, 06 Jun 2013 7:47 +0000

Morning all,

Hoping to get some advice on the subject.

Just purchased a new SR5 Diesel, found a decent deal on a reverse camera and install. Sometimes it works and most times it doesn’t. The mob that have fitted the camera told me that it was basically plug and play, so if it doesn’t work when putting into reverse, its most likely an issue with the trigger, and therefore Toyota should have a look at the unit.

I took it back to Toyota who pulled the unit out and saw aftermarket wiring, soldering and wires being cut and run from the standard. Everything else runs accept for the camera. Toyota is refusing to do anything considering it has been ‘tampered’ with. They have also told me that after market cameras are no longer compatible with the 2013 models.

I am planning to get the installation mob to run over the wiring again and see if there has been any errors, however, I suspect it wont be that easy to arrange. I also suspect both parties playing handball. :lol:

Has anyone had issues with this install? Is the install mod telling porkies? I will consider naming them if I cant resolve this.

Cheers
JohnnyBT

Re: Aftermarket Reverse Camera

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:43 +0000

I dont know what we can do here exactly.. the problem 'could' be the wiring, or it 'could' be toyota.. we cant tell.. :?

its more likely though that its the aftermarket camera setup..

there are hundreds of us with aftermarket reverse cameras which function with no problems at all..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby aandy on Thu, 06 Jun 2013 12:47 +0000

It could be the camera, the trigger or the head unit itself.

To test the trigger:
Pull the head unit out and find the small harness PZQ60-00150 it should be labelled, if not it is the one that has just three wires and one is green and this is the reverse signal, tap into that with a pin and a multimeter. with car running put it in and out of reverse a million times watching the multimeter and the screen. you should get 12v and camera on. If you get 12v and no camera on, problem is the camera or the head unit, if your not getting 12v you wont get camera on and you need to follow that wire and fix the connection wherever it is tapped into reverse signal.

Even with a good trigger, the camera needs to be ok. After a van ran into the back of me I cut the camera wire to remove the camera, trigger still connected to head unit but it was as though no camera, the map would still display.

Hope this helps.

Typical Toyota not to look into the problem, if not their fault yes they could quote to fix it of coarse but no they just give it back instead. My car came out from a service with loose leaf spring u bolts, i found them the day after, rung toyota and asked WTF it says on my receipt suspension bolts checked(or something to that effect) but the reply was "if they are aftermarket we wont look at them" hmmm thanks, you will surely be getting my business post warranty period, not.

You could always just throw it all away and buy an original one from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-TOYOTA-G ... bf5&_uhb=1
aandy

Postby JohnnyBT on Fri, 07 Jun 2013 5:56 +0000

Thanks for replying guys

Nice job with the bolts. In your case Aandy, you would think there was a duty of care. I've had a few interesting runs with the smaller mods to the Lux, I can't wait til I get the biggers ones of the ground. I need to read over the terms and condition of the warranty vs consumer law -> maybe once Ive read every thread in this forum :D
JohnnyBT

Postby Ritchie Bazzard on Mon, 10 Jun 2013 8:45 +0000

Hi everyone can anyone help me I am looking for a reverse camera / sat nav that is built tough like the Hilux. It would be nice if it was touch screen and have a out door heat guage
I have just traded my old Hilux for a new 2013 SR single cab and want to get one stuck in asap. But I don’t want to get a very expensive pay through the dealer one.
When I stick my boxes on ladder racks and install plant in the back I can not see a thing and trying to negotiate Syd traffic is a nightmare let alone parking. Last week I almost backed over a dad and his little girl at netball ☹
I live in Syd and would like to know do I get a screen off line and a camera then take it to Strathfield radio or what do I do.
Ritchie Bazzard

Postby pibbyco on Tue, 11 Jun 2013 12:11 +0000

I also cannot connect a after market camera to my 2013 SR5. I have connected reverse wire to reverse signal and checked in info on radio information and it tells me when in reverse it is on. Have tried camera powered up before putting into reverse and still no image or signal. Have tried different cameras and still cannot get any signal.
pibbyco

Postby Pazz01 on Tue, 11 Jun 2013 12:12 +0000

There are many different types like the Digoptions that fit straight in for about $500 but you have to get them fitted. But I've now seen that Sony, clarion etc are all making similar models for approximately the same price. And at least where ever you buy it from you can get it fitted as well.

That would be my recommendation. I'm in the same boat as you at present just weighing up what to buy. A mate of mine is an installer up here and he has recommended the Sony and Clarion at present.

Pazz
Pazz01

Postby sypher on Tue, 11 Jun 2013 2:48 +0000

Toyota sell the genuine camera for $299 with wires. You don't need the extra harness. I just ordered one. Has anyone used these? They come up on the sat nav screen
sypher

Postby mathew8235 on Sun, 16 Jun 2013 6:22 +0000

mathew8235

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 16 Jun 2013 6:34 +0000

For that price you would get an exchange upgrade from toyota. You get the new sr5 head deck and your trade your standard head deck

Some Toyota dealers do it some don't. Good luck.
boxhead55

Postby JohnnyBT on Tue, 18 Jun 2013 10:34 +0000

Hi guys, the issue we discovered was that you need the to run the camera through accessories and not after the trigger for reverse. They had to remove the cluster to have this completed. The camera is running fine now, however, the ABS and traction lights are constantly on. The bloke told me its usually resets after you drive it, however, clearly not the case. He has suggested that I take the Hilux back to Toyota to reset as he does not have one that will reset the 2013 (yeh thanks for that champ after you pocket the cash :shock: )

Anyways, I would suggest that you if Toyota can provide and install one at a decent price, go with them, avoid wasting any time going back and forth.

Good luck.
JohnnyBT

Postby boxhead55 on Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:02 +0000

Wow I would be going back to said bloke. He has cause it not you or toyota!
This is why you have business insurance!
boxhead55

Postby JohnnyBT on Wed, 19 Jun 2013 6:47 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:Wow I would be going back to said bloke. He has cause it not you or toyota!
This is why you have business insurance!

I called Toyota and since the service manager has been on the ride with me, they were happy to plug it in and reset, if in fact it was just the cluster. He'll be getting a slab. Another dealership quoted me $120 for an hour to plug in, check and reset.

Agree. He hasnt been returning calls since this recent stuff up. Tony from http://www.atkinsoninstalls.com.au/, apparently an auto electrician for 20 years, yet unable to perform a simple install. Not sure if it's against forum rules to name and shame but this bloke really was true blue clown.
JohnnyBT

Postby Streaker_175 on Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:17 +0000

Edited post
Rob
Silver 2013 SR5 dual cab
Diesel manual
Streaker_175

Postby Streaker_175 on Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:24 +0000

pibbyco wrote:I also cannot connect a after market camera to my 2013 SR5. I have connected reverse wire to reverse signal and checked in info on radio information and it tells me when in reverse it is on. Have tried camera powered up before putting into reverse and still no image or signal. Have tried different cameras and still cannot get any signal.

Hey stuffed around for ages to get mine to work. There is another post that tells you to connect to the top and bottom right pins but I found that the signal from theaters goes to top right and the ground goes to bottom left.
Im talking about the 4 pin plug to the far left when looking at the back of the head unit.

the only problem I found is that you have to start the car in reverse to get it to work. It'll work all day like this but as soon as you start the car in neutral or in forward gear image won't display.
Rob
Silver 2013 SR5 dual cab
Diesel manual
Streaker_175

Postby pibbyco on Thu, 20 Jun 2013 3:15 +0000

Hey thanks Streaker_75 I will give it a go I have an auto so don't know weather it will work when in park. Have also got a video cable adaptor which has connections as per other post top left signal and shield bottom left and earth bottom right. so I will modify if it works.
pibbyco

Postby Smith633 on Fri, 21 Jun 2013 8:27 +0000

Hey guys, with the after market reverse camera to factory screens, the camera has to see 12v when the car first turns on before it goes into reverse, it's like a little trick for the unit, then as other blokes have stated the green wire at the unit requires a reverse trigger as well in order to trigger the screen to switch. Any other help just yell out. :D
Smith633

Postby Streaker_175 on Fri, 21 Jun 2013 8:48 +0000

Sorry Smith633, so I'm my case where the trigger has been wired up and works. Where would I be putting the 12v from accessories???
Should I be supplying the trigger with 12 v or should it go to the head unit?
Rob
Silver 2013 SR5 dual cab
Diesel manual
Streaker_175

Postby pogasarus on Fri, 21 Jun 2013 9:23 +0000

I just purchased a 2013 SR5 and had the dealer add a Reversing Camera for about $340 inc GST. No dramas or headaches that way.

It works well too.
pogasarus

Postby Streaker_175 on Mon, 24 Jun 2013 6:32 +0000

pogasarus wrote:I just purchased a 2013 SR5 and had the dealer add a Reversing Camera for about $340 inc GST. No dramas or headaches that way.

It works well too.

yeah the problem was that when i purchased mine, the dealer wanted $900. to supply and install ..... for $340 I would have gone factory too!
Rob
Silver 2013 SR5 dual cab
Diesel manual
Streaker_175

Next

Return to Electrical