Power windows not working.

Power windows not working.

Postby jayg on Sun, 28 Apr 2013 6:56 +0000

Hey guys ive got an 06 petrol SR and my power windows have stopped working yesterday. Ive done a search but the problems other guys are having is when other acc arent working as well like stereo, lights etc. ive got everything working as normal but the windows. All doors dont work. Ive checked all fuses behind dash/glovebox and engine bay. They are all fine.

Coincidentally this happened after i finished working on the car. I was cutting my front wheel arches open with a grinder then beating the shit out of the pinch weld with a big hammer. So im concerned something may have just been vibrated loose.

If anyone has any experience or ideas that would be great. Otherwise its off to an auto electrician.
jayg

Re: Power windows not working.

Postby Swinny on Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:02 +0000

maybe the relay behind the glove box left hand side has popped out have a look there....
might help
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jayg on Sun, 28 Apr 2013 3:20 +0000

Yeh i checked that and it was firm in its place. Thanks for the idea though. This is really weird. There must just be a faulty connection somewhere.
jayg

Postby Stef on Mon, 29 Apr 2013 6:59 +0000

jayg wrote:Yeh i checked that and it was firm in its place. Thanks for the idea though. This is really weird. There must just be a faulty connection somewhere.

Try holding both front window buttons up for a couple of seconds, now please someone correct me if I am wrong but I think this is actually a way to reset the unit.

I've had luck with it after they have played up on me before
Stef

Postby jayg on Mon, 29 Apr 2013 8:39 +0000

Didnt have any luck with the reset.
jayg

Postby Ockerous on Mon, 29 Apr 2013 8:45 +0000

I think I do recall reading something about holding the power window switches up for a few seconds to regain control from the switches (might've only been for the drivers power window switches) for a Prado, but I'd imagine they'd work similarly. If Stef's suggestion doesn't work, you could have a look at this. I don't know how helpful this will be but it's better than nothing and might give you a few other things to have a look at before going to an auto leco. Might find something obvious, you never know :lol: These drawings might help a bit if you can read schematics and if the drawings suit an 06 model Hilux:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/84897170/Toyota-hilux-wiring-diagram

Page 151 shows a simplified drawing and sheet 16 (page 234) in Section M shows a more detailed schematic, and Section G (page 41) shows locations and electrical cable routes.

It looks like it's powered from the 30A power fuse (which you said all fuses are ok), runs to connector J16(A) and J17(B) which are located behind the glove box near the relay/fuse panel there (from page 41), then runs to connector J26(A) and J27(B) which are located on the drivers side around foot level near the accelerator pedal (from page 41), and also runs to connector J13(A) and J14(B) which are located in the same position as the latter mentioned connectors but on the passenger side (from page 41), and then runs to all the window switches. And it looks to be grounded in the J28 connector located on the drivers side just above foot level (from page 41) which looks like a plug that's plugged in to a metal bracket that's screwed to the body.

Something might've come loose. I don't think it would be the ground because numerous other circuits use the same ground and you said everything else works fine. So chances are it could be a connector or cable if you were cutting near them but they are all in the cab so unless a conductor was corroded or fatigued and the vibration was enough to break it off I don't see the problem being in there.

What I would probably do if you can, is pull out the IG1 relay located in the relay block behind the glove box (from page 38) and see if there is a drawing on the side of it telling you which pins are the coil and which are the contacts. If there is no drawing, grab a multimeter if you have one, put it on ohms and test between pairs of pins until you find the coil connections (I'm thinking you could measure about 60 ohms across the coil unless the coil is open circuit). Once you have found the coil connections, grab a couple of bits of wire and connect the relay coil to the battery and see if you can hear (or feel) it clicking to see if it's working properly.

I'm not entirely sure what the relay is like and what the plugs look like since the only electrical work I've done on my 2013 lux is installing some led reverse lights (speaking of which I need to look in to filtering the noise out that the led lights cause on the stereo when the lights are on) and preparing for fitting an led bar when I man up and spend the money :lol: But hopefully this might help a little bit :P

Good luck! :D
Ockerous

Postby jayg on Thu, 02 May 2013 4:44 +0000

Hey man thanks heaps for the effort put in there. I checked what connections i could though im not overly confindent with electrics. They all seemed fine. I havnt done anything with the relay yet. I did however pull my drivers door trim off and located the wires going to the motor. Removing the Connector i was able to run some wires from the battery and power the motor. At least now all my windows are up and i can lock the car up. Had to drive through quite heavy rain today with my window down lol.
jayg

Postby Ockerous on Fri, 03 May 2013 9:39 +0000

Hey no worries at all. Well at least you've proven it's not the motor that's the problem. And now you wont have to worry about getting soaked driving through rain lol. So it doesn't work for any of the door switches? Not just the drivers controls? Definitely sounds like an issue with power not getting from the battery/fuse supply to the switches and motors. I'd be almost willing to bet it's the relay or something relay related. But who knows with cars. I'm not a big fan of auto electrics lol. With all these contained connections in fuse boxes and fancy schmancy electronics there could be something else in the circuit. Hopefully you can get it fixed up soon.
Ockerous

Postby kav on Sun, 02 Mar 2014 9:29 +0000

How'd you end up going with this? Mine just stopped working yesterday, but the passenger front still works :/ drivers rear is stuck down. What ended up being the problem?
Cheers
kav

Postby 4sullima on Sun, 02 Mar 2014 1:11 +0000

This happened to me when I disconnected the battery whilst welding. Had to reprogram the windows by pulling the button up for a certain amount of time. Instructions were in the owners manual. May not be the same issue as you but I hope it works out. Cheers
4sullima

Postby fabz on Sun, 17 Jul 2016 1:46 +0000

Try holding both front window buttons up for a couple of seconds, now please someone correct me if I am wrong but I think this is actually a way to reset the unit.

I've had luck with it after they have played up on me before[/quote]

Just had battery disconnected doing some wiring for fridge etc, Window wouldn't auto up or down like usual afterwards, tryed this all good again.
fabz

Postby greid on Thu, 15 Apr 2021 8:06 +0000

Had power to both windows ('14 Extra cab) but the auto up/down feature wasn't working. As mentioned above, whilst windows were both up, just held both switches in the 'up' position which must have reset something and solved the issue! Geez I love the knowledge in this community!!
I did replace my battery (damn the cold mornings!) in between when I last recall using the window and them not working, not sure if that caused it or just coincidence.
greid

Postby BillyGoatCountry on Sat, 08 Apr 2023 8:58 +0000

greid wrote:Had power to both windows ('14 Extra cab) but the auto up/down feature wasn't working. As mentioned above, whilst windows were both up, just held both switches in the 'up' position which must have reset something and solved the issue! Geez I love the knowledge in this community!!
I did replace my battery (damn the cold mornings!) in between when I last recall using the window and them not working, not sure if that caused it or just coincidence.

My drivers window is working but all other windows ceased operating.
I checked all the fuses . all good.
I pulled off the door panels , tested the window motors with a 12 V supply , all good
I tested output from the door switches , nothing there so i went to an Auto Sparky.

He took 10 seconds to diagnose the sophisticated technical issue which was the Child Safety button was pushed down.
This causes all other windows to not function.
Before doing the fancy two button lift reset issue , check your child safety button ! ! !

In 7 years owning this vehicle i never even noticed the stupid thing , i would post a photo of it but i cant be stuffed mucking around with a hosting site and his forum is too crepe to allow direct upload of photos ?
BillyGoatCountry

Postby Hulix26r on Sat, 24 Jun 2023 12:05 +0000

BillyGoatCountry wrote:
greid wrote:Had power to both windows ('14 Extra cab) but the auto up/down feature wasn't working. As mentioned above, whilst windows were both up, just held both switches in the 'up' position which must have reset something and solved the issue! Geez I love the knowledge in this community!!

My drivers window is working but all other windows ceased operating.
I checked all the fuses . all good.
I pulled off the door panels , tested the window motors with a 12 V supply , all good
I tested output from the door switches , nothing there so i went to an Auto Sparky.

He took 10 seconds to diagnose the sophisticated technical issue which was the Child Safety button was pushed down.
This causes all other windows to not function.
Before doing the fancy two button lift reset issue , check your child safety button ! ! !

In 7 years owning this vehicle i never even noticed the stupid thing , i would post a photo of it but i cant be stuffed mucking around with a hosting site and his forum is too crepe to allow direct upload of photos ?
Any more details on the 2 lift trick

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Hulix26r

Return to Electrical