Custom rocker install

Custom rocker install

Postby wade_b on Tue, 23 Oct 2012 5:21 +0000

Got a few new switches from custom rockers with the 2 led lights. I am having trouble getting these lights to work with my light force spotties I have read lots and looked at all the diagrams but can't find where I'm going wrong any help would be much appreciated. So what I have atm:
-yellow from relay to battery + terminal
-negative switch wire on relay connected to the earth as specified by light force wiring diagram
-brown cable connected to back of head lights going to switch in the cab
-red black from cab switch to relay

All done as the light force wiring instructions said (or how I read them)

At the switch I have:
+12 volt from interior dash light to terminal 6
Ground from interior dash light to terminal 7
Brown from back of head lights to terminal 2
Black/red to terminal 3
Terminal 8 is what is stuffing me up ive found by connection it to terminal 2 the image of the spotties comes on when I have the lights off I want this to work the other way round so that when I have high beam on and spotties off only the words are lit but when I turn the spotties on the image light comes on as well.

Thanks guys sorry if I havnt described it very well just hoping someone knows what I'm talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
wade_b

Re: Custom rocker install

Postby hoodlux on Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:39 +0000

According to the wiring diagram supplied by CR, terminal 8 of the switch should be earthed. Can't confirm the operation as my switches are sitting in the shed awaiting installation!
hoodlux

Postby lais817 on Mon, 05 Nov 2012 10:18 +0000

How did you get on with this mate, get it resolved? Flick an email through to the bloke from CR, he's a bit slow sometimes to get back to you, but he knows his stuff. Sounds like it could be something to do with the Negative switching that the Hilux uses, I know I had dramas getting mine to work first time.

With my Lightforce relay, there is an option to wire it up so it works with Negatively switched vehicles, you just disconnect one wire from the earth via a quick-connect and push it into another quick-connect. I'm not explaining muself really well, but if you have a look at the relay/wiring harness and/or your literature that came with the lights you should be able to figure it out.
Insert witty comment here

Check out my Build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11921
lais817

Postby kash.man on Sat, 01 Dec 2012 8:41 +0000

How do the custom rocker switches fit in the holes ? Got any pics ? Have been considering ordering some myself but haven't seen any of their products yet.
kash.man

Postby wade_b on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 8:46 +0000

The custom rocker switches fit nicely with a bit of filing down of the dash mounts. But I have been working away lots and had no time to play around with getting the lights to work but have been on holiday with my mechanic and he has suggested not to get led ones as they do cause lots of problems when people want them to work a certain way, he showed me one set up where there is 4 relays to get the high beam and switch to work.
wade_b

Postby 2DOMN8U on Thu, 03 Jan 2013 8:58 +0000

Hi Guys, Pin #8 needs to have its own 12V+ source, Cause when you select high beam the high beam guys negative so the it complets the connection and then the light comes on. if you wire it up the way custom rocker say the light will always come on even when the car is turned off, as you are getting a constant 12v+ feed from your high beam wire. hope this wiring diagram helps...

CHEERS
2DOMN8U
2DOMN8U

Postby burkeyloi on Mon, 18 Feb 2013 9:38 +0000

Thanks for the diagram. I've wired my spotties this exact way and I can't stop the activation globe from glowing ever so lightly even when the car is off. It works as it should but when switched she glows very dim. Any help much appreciated
burkeyloi

Postby whitey89 on Tue, 19 Feb 2013 6:52 +0000

burkeyloi wrote:Thanks for the diagram. I've wired my spotties this exact way and I can't stop the activation globe from glowing ever so lightly even when the car is off. It works as it should but when switched she glows very dim. Any help much appreciated

looking at the diagram it says that if you earth pin 8 on the arb/custom rocker switches the light in the switch will always glow, maybe that's the issue?
whitey89

Postby 10 luxxxx on Mon, 25 Feb 2013 4:41 +0000

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or know what each of the wires coming out of the back of the rear demister button are. I'm trying to change it for a custom rocker and have no idea.
Cheers.
10 luxxxx

Postby burkeyloi on Wed, 27 Feb 2013 5:35 +0000

10 luxxxx. I'm in the same boat. Bought the rocker switch for the rear demist now just have no idea what's what. Is it negatively switched? Or easy as power on dash light etc? Might wip out the multi meter tonight and see what sense I can make of it. Ill post anything I find. Any help from others would be awesome.
burkeyloi

Postby Kangaroodog on Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:12 +0000

whitey89 wrote:looking at the diagram it says that if you earth pin 8 on the arb/custom rocker switches the light in the switch will always glow, maybe that's the issue?

I did this and the light was lit up only sometimes when the switch was turned one way, I didnt test the spotties to see if they would work correctly though.

I wired up my lights as per 2DOMN8U pic and they work, however I have since discovered that when I put my high beams on only 1 of my headlights goes high beam... which is kind of weird as they are both activated via the one headlight connector(i have hid headlights)

Im going to try removing the spotty feed in to the other headlight connector(which isnt attached to anything) to see if it is the spotlight causing the issue or if I have a faulty HID globe in my headlight
Nothing better then going hunting with the hounds.
Kangaroodog

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:36 +0000

Kangaroodog wrote:I did this and the light was lit up only sometimes when the switch was turned one way, I didnt test the spotties to see if they would work correctly though.

I wired up my lights as per 2DOMN8U pic and they work, however I have since discovered that when I put my high beams on only 1 of my headlights goes high beam... which is kind of weird as they are both activated via the one headlight connector(i have hid headlights)

Im going to try removing the spotty feed in to the other headlight connector(which isnt attached to anything) to see if it is the spotlight causing the issue or if I have a faulty HID globe in my headlight

nah.. you'll find its your ballast for your HID not firing.. increase the wire size to it.. you really should run a seperate wire for each ballast as per the pic above..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby ng_newbie on Wed, 15 May 2013 10:58 +0000

Hey Guys

I am also interested in getting a rocker from CR

http://www.customrockers.com.au/epages/ ... WITCHES%22

I notice that the page says "A RELAY MUST BE USED WITH THIS SWITCH", I sent thru an email but never heard back, does anyone know how much a relay would cost from CR ?

As I am a newbie & the rolux is only 12 months old I have only done a couple of mods & they were all mechanical, so this will be my 1st electrical mod.

I already have a switch for the spotties - Great Whites, I asked the sparky to install a rocker that was illuminated when they are on but it has never worked, that was in ACT & now I am living in SA so a bit far to take it back for a warranty repair !!!

I am hoping I can just swap out the current switch & replace it with one from CR :)

Has anyone done this with gr8 whites ???

TIA

NG
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Postby cooper92 on Wed, 15 May 2013 11:15 +0000

All switches should have relays. The switch can not take the current of spotlights.
Custom rockers are a bit of a prick to wire in to most new cars as the switch positive where the car switches negative but are well worth the money.

Dose not matter what you spot lights you run as all you do is take power off the relay to the light.

It can be done with out to much drama with a basic knowledge of wiring and diagrams can be found on here or just google custom rocker wiring. You should have the wires you need at the existing switch but would need to sort out what is what.
Cheers Cooper.

Ute Build
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17165
Custom Tray Build
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16756
cooper92

Postby lais817 on Wed, 15 May 2013 11:27 +0000

ng_newbie wrote:Hey Guys

I am also interested in getting a rocker from CR

http://www.customrockers.com.au/epages/ ... WITCHES%22

I notice that the page says "A RELAY MUST BE USED WITH THIS SWITCH", I sent thru an email but never heard back, does anyone know how much a relay would cost from CR ?

As I am a newbie & the rolux is only 12 months old I have only done a couple of mods & they were all mechanical, so this will be my 1st electrical mod.

I already have a switch for the spotties - Great Whites, I asked the sparky to install a rocker that was illuminated when they are on but it has never worked, that was in ACT & now I am living in SA so a bit far to take it back for a warranty repair !!!

I am hoping I can just swap out the current switch & replace it with one from CR :)

Has anyone done this with gr8 whites ???

TIA

NG

Mate, head down to Repco or similar and pick up a 4 pin , NO (normally open) relay. Then do search google for 12v relay instructions or something, it's pretty simple to understand once you get your head around it all.
Insert witty comment here

Check out my Build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11921
lais817

Postby TDog on Wed, 15 May 2013 12:09 +0000

I will try to explain the theory.

You need to think of the switch and relay and lights as 2 very seperate circuits.

First circuit, the Spotlights. Very Simple.
12V + power runs from +ve terminal on battery through a fuse (to protect wiring and vehicle from damage) through a relay (which is really just a remote controlled switch which can handle high current) through the spotlight bulb (or "load") and to the chassis.

Second circuit. The In cab switch and relay.
In the New Hilux it is NEGATIVE SWITCHED, which sounds a little more technical but really isn't. Just makes it more difficult to set up the illuminated switches.
12V + power runs from switched accessory power under the dash (or anywhere you can access it) to the relay. From the relay through the Switch on the dash and from there to the chassis.

A simple relay will have 4 pins or terminals. 2 terminals are to operate the relay itself. The other two terminals are to control the "accessory" you want to control. In this case the spotlights. The first 2 terminals have absolutely no connection to the second 2 terminals in any electrical sense at all apart from one set controlling the other set. This website explains it well and you can see from the picture the 2 seperate circuits.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/relay1.htm

Positive switched means exactly what it sounds like. The switch is in the Positive leg of the circuit. In other words, BEFORE any load (think accessory, relay etc). Negative switched is the opposite. The Switch is AFTER any load in the negative leg of the circuit. The diagram in the explanation from the website is NEGATIVE switched. If you see the + symbol on the batteries and follow that wire (line) you see it runs through the "load" (coil or bulb) BEFORE going to the switch. The theory behind this is the circuit is positive right up until it passes through any load and then the circuit is negative. If you used a Multimeter with 1 point on the Negative terminal of the battery and measure voltage at given points along the circuit, it will show 12V+ right up until you check either side of the load. One side (positive side) will show 12V + and the other side will show 0V.

The custom Rocker switches have 2 lights. One is for the dash lights so you can see the switch at night. It lights up like all the other bits and bobs on your dash. The 2nd light activates when the switch is ON or active to make whatever accessory it controls work. Issue is that these internal lights grab their negative internally from the switch which make it tricky to get them working. That said, if you understand the concept of what you are trying to achieve and have a good look over the very good Custom Rockers wiring diagram that comes with them, it is fairly simple to work out. The fundamental though is understanding what the switch/relay wiring is really doing.
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

If you don't mind .......... I have a serious crush on my Hilux!
TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ng_newbie on Wed, 15 May 2013 12:58 +0000

Hey Guys

Thanks for the excellent "doco", this has given me a lot of confidence :)

I am eager to have a go now, I just need to get a response from CR before I can order the switches - I live in rural SA & do not have a postal service or even a letter box so I need the delivery to go to a POB, CRs site says no POBs !!!

NG
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Postby cooper92 on Wed, 15 May 2013 2:18 +0000

Just have a look and make sure lights are not already wired through relay (they should already have one hooked up. As for postage ask a local business if you can get then delivered to them.

Good luck.
Cheers Cooper.

Ute Build
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17165
Custom Tray Build
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16756
cooper92

Postby Matthall1 on Thu, 16 May 2013 10:07 +0000

Hey guys I know this has been done Heaps but have searched around but not really found what I need. My issue is that I've installed the switches for some rear lots and a light bar all work well and large light on switch comes on when turned on however I don't have the lower light for when the dash lights are on. I tapped into the cig lighter light and have tested a good 12v supply going to the acc pin #6. Still no light though. And yes it's earthed at Pin 7. Any help appreciated.
Matthall1

Postby Gsxr1000testpilot on Wed, 10 Jul 2013 7:53 +0000

Can anyone spot the problem in figure 2 wiring diagram, or is it just me. This diagram is straight off there web site. I have bought the new led illuminated switches from customrockers, which adds another drama when wiring up your spotlights and trying to get the switch illumination working when the switch is on. Maybe I'm missing something . I have seen a few people have had trouble getting the switch illumination working to indicate the switch is on, which is easily fixed, but when it comes to these new led illuminated switches the polarity of the led becomes a issue as well, in the diagram they have fixed the problem of getting the led to light up but have put the circuits load through the switch. I THINK . Am I reading this wrong or is there a major error in there wiring diagram???

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."

VIEW MY BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18361
My Shed - http://www.newhilux.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=6362

VK4FJAS
Gsxr1000testpilot

Next

Return to Electrical