dual bank battery system sterling power products

dual bank battery system sterling power products

Postby fgk228 on Wed, 13 Jul 2011 9:20 +0000

hey guys,

i know dual batteries have been done to death but i have a question that i cant find the answer too.

im pick up my camper trailer in august which has batteries(will have) in it. so i must charge them. havent had much to do with dual batteries before but ive got the basic idea.

i wish to run 2 batteries in the trailer for lights etc, i also want to run 1 battery in the tray for fridge, lights, etc. my main concern that i have with just the traditional dual battery systems is that if one bank is full and the other is flat because they are connected together the charging system will not charge and max rate. im aware that it will eventually equalize the batteries by its self but that's not idea.

i cam across the STERLING POWER PRODUCTS ProSplitR 12V 120A 3 Outlet Advanced Split Charge Management system and i think it will charge the bank independent of each other and basically do what i want it to. rrp for this $276, i though that it is very cheap compare to Piranha etc, so finally my question, has any one have an insight to these systems?
Am i just buying cheap crap that will break? Will it do what i want? Are there any other products that fit the bill?

http://powerstream.com.au/zero-volt-dro ... 595c6d9a7d

also what batteries are suited to what i want?
i when for the 120amp as i have the pre 05 hilux and the aults arn't that powerful
thanks for the replies
fgk228

Re: dual bank battery system sterling power products

Postby VMN on Thu, 14 Jul 2011 4:47 +0000

I have the reverse, two in the truck and one in the van and use a standard isolator. It has been fine so far. I have made up an Anderson Plug Extension lead so I can attach them together if the ute is parked beside the van. This lets the truck batteries get charged from the van's 240 and eventually solar.

The Absorbtion fridge is another matter. It draws 15 amps from a separate isolator on the Aux circuit so it will only be turned on when the 3 Aux batteries are charged.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby fgk228 on Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:59 +0000

yea that sounds good, was going to get just an isolator but from what ive found its preferable to get some type of dc - dc charger. will be making up and extension lead so i can do what your doing, great idea!
fgk228

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 14 Jul 2011 3:58 +0000

ive got the main batt, and aux battery in the tray, then 2 batteries in the trailer.. I run a single redarc in the lux for the aux, and another redarc in the van for its batteries.. makes it easier for me, then im not reliant on the battery equalisation..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby fgk228 on Thu, 14 Jul 2011 7:23 +0000

Steve9R wrote:ive got the main batt, and aux battery in the tray, then 2 batteries in the trailer.. I run a single redarc in the lux for the aux, and another redarc in the van for its batteries.. makes it easier for me, then im not reliant on the battery equalisation..

Steve

ok nice, i think this system is basically what you have. how are the redarc's connected to the main?
fgk228

Postby Rebs on Thu, 14 Jul 2011 7:44 +0000

When you have one or more aux batteries in the car and one or more aux batteries in the camper and maybe an absorption fridge there is no way the lux alternator has the ability to charge them all from a low state unless you do a hell of a lot of daytime driving.
You need to set up a priority system to manage the battery charging in the order you desire for your setup, like SteveR and VMN have done.
The Prosplit device looks the goods but is designed for higher output alternators. You can do similar with a couple of VSR's.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Rebs

Postby fgk228 on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:53 +0000

thanks for all the replies,

after many emails to sterling, i have found that im really after a battery charger. i really like the isolator that they have for offer 210amps water proof etc but its no charger. they do offer battery chargers but they are not water proof so that kinda rules them out for my set up, very nice system with temp sensor for battery and alternator.

im going to go with 2 redarc 1220 battery charger/isolator. both mounted in the engine bay. one will go to 2 batteries in the tray and the other will take care of the battery in the camper. i went with this because at the moment, im going to have only the trailer to charge, and when i get a second fridge ill put it in the tray and just add another battery charger and batteries to take care of the batteries in the tray.
fgk228

Postby Rebs on Fri, 05 Apr 2024 6:01 +0000

fgk228, Just a couple of comments.
I think you will find the 1220 unit should be located away from heat and close the battery/s it is charging. Check the installation specs.
IMO your alternator and a VSR (or two) will charge your depleted batteries quicker and for a lot less outlay than how you plan to go about it.
I considered DC to DC charging but figured unless I went to an expensive 50A model there would be no measurable advantage for my setup.
There are threads on here and other forums that do this topic to death and I (respectfully) suggest you sift thru and study the info available before you buy anything.
Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri, 05 Apr 2024 6:01 +0000.
Rebs

Return to Electrical