V6 Poor Fuel economy 16+ L/100Kms

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

V6 Poor Fuel economy 16+ L/100Kms

Postby ms0349 on Sun, 18 Mar 2018 4:13 +0000

Hi Guys I've been a long time stalker on here & found a lot of good info shared by you guys & would like to thank the guys who take the time to share their knowledge. So here is my problem & its doing my head in.....

Last year around the same time I fitted a snorkel & moved closer to work (5 min trip) my car has been getting very poor fuel economy at 16-18L/100Kms,(same as what I used to get when it was standard car towing a Jayco camper)prior to this it used to get 12-14L/100kms. Even worse if I tow a empty box trailer??. I live in the Hunter Valley & did a trip to Surfers recently for a family holiday & the fuel economy didn't change at all.

I'm hoping that there is a sensor/part that fails that can cause this & a scan tool wont pick it up?

The Stuff I have done to my car to try and fix it are fit new genuine plugs/filters, replaced the MAF sensor with a new unit (dropped fuel economy back to high 15-16L/100kms. I Have a scan gauge 2 & the thermostat(only non genuine part - Dayco) opens at 81.C & car sits around 84-87.C once driven for a while.

The only issue & fault code I've had with the car was a slight misfire on #3cylinder around the same time I fitted the snorkel then I fitted the new genuine plugs & haven't had it since. The car is very fuely on cold start up & had a lot of black crap on the end of the tail pipe. It idles fine & drives smooth under all driving conditions. The next thing I'm going to do is put an Autometer Air fuel meter in each side of the exhaust to double check mixtures & confirm its running rich & maybe track down a problem sensor?

The stuff/mods I've done to car
rear cat delete 2.5" system (only put two tanks of fuel in it & it hasn't made a difference),3" MR lift, Diff drop, bash plate, 32" A/T tyres, Prado 3.9 diff gears, canopy, bulbar/side steps/ rear bar drawers, TJM snorkel. I know the car is heavy but before I fitted the snorkel/moved closer to work I used to get 12-14L/100Kms out of it. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.

Matt.
ms0349

Re: V6 Poor Fuel economy 16+ L/100Kms

Postby HK1837 on Sun, 18 Mar 2018 5:55 +0000

Take the snorkel off, worst case is you’ll get power back.

What are the tyres? You say 32”, are the 32x11x15”? Taller tyres make them worse but you have rectified that with shorter diffs.

They do run rich from original.

I’d be blaming the snorkel though.
HK1837

Return to Engines