New Hilux owner from WA

New Hilux owner from WA

Postby Glenrod on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 7:45 +0000

G'day fellow Luxers,

As an owner of various model Land Cruisers in the past I have just (2 weeks ago) taken delivery of a new, and my first, Hilux. :D
It's an SR5 2.8 diesel auto. Although ordered during the so named Toyotathon promotion period for 2017 MY clearance somehow the dealer has delivered one with the air con vents to the rear cabin area, locking tailgate, LED fog lights so it maybe one of the first updated models. Not sure what that entails other than the obvious stated features.

And of course the dreaded DPF :(

I have had the dealer fit some accessories before pickup. I figured it closed, to some degree, an out for the dealer and manufacturer i.e. "your fitment of a non standard dual battery caused the ECU to blow up". Yeah I know, a bit extreme, but my experience "in the trade" is that loopholes are there to be exploited.

Anyway, thanks for allowing me to be a member of the New Hilux fraternity. As a brand new owner/member my contribution value will be limited for some time but hopefully you guys and gals might be able to help me over any hurdles that may crop up in the coming months and years. Hopefully as time goes on I may be able to contribute to the pool of knowledge.

Cheers
Pop
Glenrod
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 7:21 +0000
Location: Perth area WA


 

Re: New Hilux owner from WA

Postby Critter350 on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 12:00 +0000

Welcome Pop. Are you north or south of the river? What’s you’re favourite off road track?


Cheers
Crit
Critter350
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 9:36 +0000
Location: Rockingham WA

Re: New Hilux owner from WA

Postby Brondonnnn on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 12:16 +0000

Critter350 wrote:Welcome Pop. Are you north or south of the river? What’s you’re favourite off road track?


Cheers
Crit


X2

Welcome to the forum! Endless amount of Info here


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wisdom is not wearing a red shirt to Bunnings
User avatar
Brondonnnn
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 11:38 +0000
Location: Perth WA

Re: New Hilux owner from WA

Postby Glenrod on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 1:30 +0000

Brondonnnn wrote:
Critter350 wrote:Welcome Pop. Are you north or south of the river? What’s you’re favourite off road track?


Cheers
Crit


X2

Welcome to the forum! Endless amount of Info here


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thanks for the welcome guys. We are officially south of the river geographically I guess, but more accurately we are in the hills to the east of Perth.
My favourite track? That's a hard one, I think I have enjoyed just about all of them. It's been a few years since age and "softness" have caught up with us so nowadays the new beast will be mainly performing tow duties for our caravan with the odd foray here and there and a bit of beach fishing.
Our last trip "around the block", so to speak involved the GRR about 3 years ago which we both enjoyed immensely. We traveled the CSR about 20 odd years ago and that was great. Lots of shorter off road stuff but I guess the desert country still holds a warm fuzzy place in our hearts. Fortunately we managed to do these sorts of trips long before you needed a permit to blow your nose and the advancing years made the comfort of returning to our home on wheels at days end seem a much more attractive proposition. ;)

Cheers
Pop
Glenrod
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 7:21 +0000
Location: Perth area WA

Re: New Hilux owner from WA

Postby Dave on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 1:48 +0000

Welcome Pop, keen to watch you do a build thread on your vehicle.

I was in the same boat, but had the trusty old 82 Hilux, then a few HDJ80/HDJ100 Landcruisers then over to the Hilux and now back to a Landcruiser again... Miss the Hilux though 8-)

You'll be surprised to know that this forum is home grown from Rockingham - where I am :)

Enjoy your stay here mate.

Cheers, Dave
User avatar
Dave
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3151
Joined: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:00 +0000
Location: Perth, WA

Re: New Hilux owner from WA

Postby Glenrod on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 5:11 +0000

Dave wrote:Welcome Pop, keen to watch you do a build thread on your vehicle.

I was in the same boat, but had the trusty old 82 Hilux, then a few HDJ80/HDJ100 Landcruisers then over to the Hilux and now back to a Landcruiser again... Miss the Hilux though 8-)

You'll be surprised to know that this forum is home grown from Rockingham - where I am :)

Enjoy your stay here mate.

Cheers, Dave


Thanks Dave, most of the basic stuff i.e. 'roo bar, side bars, side steps, dual battery setup with bcdc charger, wind shields on side windows, under body spray coating, wiring for electric brake controller (transferred from the old Cruiser along with the UHF) I think that was about it, was done by the dealer prior to taking delivery. Since then we have added a full set of seat covers and a dash cam.
Next will be a custom canopy, draws and fridge slide for the tub along with a few other ideas I have in mind for the back. Actually I just got off the phone to the bloke, a mate of one of my sons-in-law, who will most likely get that work.
After reading some of the plethora of horror stories a catch can and maybe some extra fuel filtration is definitely on the cards. The service manager at the dealership didn't seem to think a catch can would be necessary but if I wanted to fit one wasn't going to affect warranty in any way.

Nearly forgot, we got an extra 6x 17" steel rims and 265/65x17 BFG ATs with the standard 18" alloys.

Good to here about the local source of this forum. I do frequent "the other" local exploring forum along with a caravaners one and of course lcool but since I now will be Hiluxing that one will probably be visited a lot less. A good source of info and I hope I was able to make a contribution over the years.

Looking forward to the shakedown cruise in the next week or so to see how this new addition performs. Fingers crossed. :D

Cheers
Pop
Glenrod
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 7:21 +0000
Location: Perth area WA

Re: New Hilux owner from WA

Postby DeadlyBeast on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 7:16 +0000

G'Day Pop and welcome to the forum

Great intro and man, what a response ! - nothing to do with being from WA ;)

This forum contains an almost endless array of knowledge about the Toyota Hilux and over the years a lot of topics, questions and issues have been addressed. In order to get the most out of the forum and in an attempt to try and keep the information in an organised (well semi :lol: ) manner, please utilise the search function at the top of the page and ask your questions or contribute to existing threads as much as possible.

Here are some useful links to help you get the most out of this forum.

Search
Advanced Search
Search Members Shed's (Start your own shed 8-) Its easy)
How to post pictures
Sandpit - An area for new members to experiment with posting pictures
Budget mods $50 or less - quick cheap awesome mods to get you started
Forum Directory (BIBLE WIP) - quick links to popular stuff
Oh and the Forum Guidelines, Forum Guidelines

Looking forward to reading your posts
If you're going through hell, keep going.
________________________
2007 SR5 D4D Auto
2014 SR D4D Auto
Build Thread
User avatar
DeadlyBeast
Moderator
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sat, 26 May 2012 7:42 +0000
Location: Top End

Re: New Hilux owner from WA

Postby Glenrod on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 7:52 +0000

DeadlyBeast wrote:G'Day Pop and welcome to the forum

Great intro and man, what a response ! - nothing to do with being from WA ;)

This forum contains an almost endless array of knowledge about the Toyota Hilux and over the years a lot of topics, questions and issues have been addressed. In order to get the most out of the forum and in an attempt to try and keep the information in an organised (well semi :lol: ) manner, please utilise the search function at the top of the page and ask your questions or contribute to existing threads as much as possible.

Here are some useful links to help you get the most out of this forum.

Search
Advanced Search
Search Members Shed's (Start your own shed 8-) Its easy)
How to post pictures
Sandpit - An area for new members to experiment with posting pictures
Budget mods $50 or less - quick cheap awesome mods to get you started
Forum Directory (BIBLE WIP) - quick links to popular stuff
Oh and the Forum Guidelines, Forum Guidelines

Looking forward to reading your posts


Thanks DeadlyBeast, Nah, nothing to do with being from the great state of Wait Awhile. ;)

Well maybe a little bit :lol:

As I said, this being my first Hilux and it having all the obligatory technickle trickery it will most likely be a steep learning curve for me so I guess my posts, initially anyway are going to be more questions than answers.

Looking forward to this new journey of discovery.

Cheers
Pop
Glenrod
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 7:21 +0000
Location: Perth area WA


Return to Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests