2011 Toyota Hilux - Tekonsha Prodigy 3 install issue

2011 Toyota Hilux - Tekonsha Prodigy 3 install issue

Postby Kubes on Mon, 24 Oct 2016 6:06 +0000

I'm a proud owner of a Toyota Hilux SR5 2011 model and have been doing some upgrades to tow a new caravan.

Looking for some Auto Electrical answers.

Last week, I had the brake rotors machined with new brake pads installed, I also had a brand new Tekonsha Prodigy 3 Brake Controller installed as per the wiring diagram supplied using the Green/Yellow wire at the brake switch .

Since then I have been experiencing ABS braking issues, with the ABS applying brake pressure and locking on the brakes after a short driving stint. (ABS and VSC lights also coming on)

Initially the mechanics computer was plugged in and it was giving an error to the ABS sensor No. 14, which has ruined the module. It was decided it was just an ABS module failure (and just a co-incidence) and not the new brake controller or the brake refresh.

So the ABS unit was replaced today with a 2nd hand module and was tested successfully without the brake controller for a 20-30km stint, with no issues. They then put the controller on and drove around the block a short distance, still no issue.

But after leaving the garage, the issue occurred again after a short driving stint of about 8kms (speeds up to 100km's an hour). It failed again and rendered me useless on the side of the road. The mechanic came out to help and bled the brakes releasing the pressure on the brake cylinders and got me going, so I limped back to Melbourne with - out using the brakes

He is now pointing to the Controller as the possible cause and fears the module may have been spiked again but was not confident...has anyone had a similar issue and a resolution? Any help or direction would be appreciated.. Earl Kubeil

Extra's;
Fault: Solenoid 14, ABS Fault C1268, current fault, transfer 12 solenoid position switch circuit malfunction. Earlier a secondary fault lit up the computer as well C1246, current Master switch Cylinder Pressure Switch.Notes, CTEK 250S also installed with dual batteries, also a new Pioneer AV system installed.
Kubes

Re: 2011 Toyota Hilux - Tekonsha Prodigy 3 install issue

Postby Hellbound on Wed, 26 Oct 2016 5:36 +0000

Has he wired the wire thats meant to go to the towing harness, into the actual vehicle brake wire by accident?
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Return to Introductions