UHF antenna without roo bar

UHF antenna without roo bar

Postby martynvella on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 6:27 +0000

Well finally made a decision on where to put my UHF antenna.
2012/13 SR5, the decorative sports bar is lower at the rear so had a 10mm ally tab welded on the inner side of the RH side. Used a raised mount base without the spring so only the flexible part of the antenna is above the front top bar so the rigid part is still in free space but remains protected.

Didn't use the spring because anyone that has had a roo bar mounted one has seen the way they bend and destroy any antenna put on top of it, and also to keep the height down so I can get it under the house without it touching. Will run a 6 inch whip on highway and can change to a higher gain if needed when away.

Ran the coax through the bar ( what a bitch that is ) and forward under the top edge of the tub to the hole that's in the front corner and dropped it down there in front of the plastic wheel arch liner to the towing harness and up through the floor with that under the drivers seat.

Time consuming job but really happy with the way it turned out.
martynvella

Re: UHF antenna without roo bar

Postby singlespeed on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 9:07 +0000

Pics?
2014 Hilux SR5 D4D 5A Grey w/ Blk Leather

Disclaimer:
My opinion is the opposite of your opinion, even if you change your opinion to my opinion.
singlespeed

Postby martynvella on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 9:22 +0000

Never posted pics before. Will have to figure out how.
martynvella

Postby bob14hilux on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 9:22 +0000

Hi martyn.

I have to ask, because I have never had this happen to me.

How does the spring bending cause the antenna to be destroyed?

I thought one of the reasons for having the spring was to allow the antenna to bend over and therefore not break.
Bob

Build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23413

If beer and women are not the answer then you are asking the wrong question
bob14hilux

Postby Jacko9 on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:05 +0000

Neither, and I hit wildlife daily in mine, if I didn't have the springs, I'd be buying a lot of new aerials. Maybe it's more to do with the wobbling effect on the aerial internal circuit board? Using a Zcg type aerial eliminates that issue too ;)
Jacko9

Postby aandy on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 1:07 +0000

I have broken two antennas, both with springs.

I think it is more about having the right spring for the length/contruction of the antenna.

First one was a fibreglass ~1m, vibrated slightly violently, on a big trip after weeks of corrugated roads it snapped in half.

Second one was a really short thick black fibreglass GME one that would go completely nuts vibrating on the bulbar even on the road, it lasted a couple of weeks before the fibreglass bit threw itself off. this one http://www.prestigecom.net.au/gme-ae470 ... cb-antenna

Now I have a RFI antenna on a spring and I am much more confident with this one, it has a calm little wobble, nearly seems out of sync with the car/bullbar, not violent at all. this one http://www.prestigecom.net.au/rfi-cdq-5 ... cb-antenna
I would recommend the RFI you will be impressed, I also have a small bendy rubber RFI that fits the same base that works well.
aandy

Postby martynvella on Sun, 02 Aug 2015 12:38 +0000

It is caused by the sideways whipping affect, base goes one way and antenna takes a while to catch up, by then the base has gone the other way, the base and whip turns into an "S" shape, fiberglass whips wear down where it is in the threaded metal bit and come loose and the wire breaks, and stainless whips fatigue and just break off.

Each to their own, not here to argue the point with anyone, just stating what I have come across many times working on various sites in the Pilbara and Kimberly, and how it has influenced my decision not to run a spring.
martynvella

Postby Steveyb on Sun, 02 Aug 2015 1:00 +0000

martynvella wrote:Each to their own, not here to argue the point with anyone, just stating what I have come across many times working on various sites in the Pilbara and Kimberly, and how it has influenced my decision not to run a spring.

I worked for many years as a radio tech and seen thousands of installations in all sorts of configurations and I must concur that springs caused more harm than good.

I run a RFI vhf 1/2 wave whip and an Laser antennas 6.5dbi 5/8 0ver 1/2 whip without springs on the bull bar. 4 years later no problems. Granted I've not done endless corrugated roads out back but even just driving around I can see how much the bar and body move independent of each other.
NLC
Steveyb

Postby martynvella on Sun, 02 Aug 2015 3:21 +0000

lets see if this works, computers hate me.Image
martynvella

Return to Electrical