Major Power Loss, Tried Everything! Think you can help!?

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Major Power Loss, Tried Everything! Think you can help!?

Postby kellzahh on Thu, 28 May 2015 10:38 +0000

Hi guys, lately Ive had problems with my 2001 Toyota Hilux 4x4 (3L Diesal, LN167R). Im new to owning a Diesal 4wd so im not really that good at diagnosing problems, the problem is that Im experiencing a lot of power loss. I can barely get to 90km and through the gears even low down I have poor acceleration and its easy to tell somethings wrong. The problem first occured after I went 4wding (alot of mud and water) with friends, first my starter motor went, I was driving around fine then when I turned my ute off it wouldn't start again so I replaced the starter motor, I took off the air filter to get to it easier and when I was done I put it all back together is when I started having the issues. I took it to a car wash to clean all the mud and **** off the engine and body etc. I took it home took the air filter apart and cleaned it top to bottom even replaced the old filter inside and still no power, I even replaced the fuel filter just incase that was the problem but yet again still no fix. I attached photos in the thread so you'se can see the air filter has two connections. Which goes to the engine and the other comes from outside the car and connected from the quarter panel, the one that connects to that one isnt very secure at all it moves up and down and air gets blow out of that connection and when I move it around the engine makes different noises. I tried covering it over real quick with duct tape to see if that was even the issue and still no fix I just thought it was strange air was coming out of the connection and now im quiet stuck on what to do about it now. Any suggestions ? :| :|
kellzahh

Re: Major Power Loss, Tried Everything! Think you can help!?

Postby dino12 on Thu, 28 May 2015 2:48 +0000

Mate on the air intake on the front of the air filter housing is a fitting with some wires coming off it. This is your mass air flow meter (maf sensor). all air going in to the engine must go in via the intake this sensor is mounted on so the air can be measured by the computer and the correct amount of fuel injected. If the air filter housing is leaking air it must be totally sealed of all leaks or replaced so the maf can do it's job. Otherwise the type of problem you have can be experienced. As well as that the sensor must be kept clean at all costs . You can unscrew the sensor from the air intake and take it out and spray it with sensor cleaner available from any car accessory shop to clean it so it works properly. Try doing the air cleaner housing seal up, and cleand the maf and see if that helps. If not post on the site again. From what you've said it seems we may have found the solution to your problem.
Cheers.
dino12

Re: Major Power Loss, Tried Everything! Think you can help!?

Postby rory18 on Thu, 28 May 2015 5:54 +0000

These old dinosaurs are a little different than the current style of hilux. Are you sure no water was ingressed into the motor while you were 4x4? Could be depending on the kilometers just injectors, not a big cost on your ute. Haven't dealt with the 5L-E engines for awhile so maybe someone else can chip in
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Engines