Newby

Newby

Postby Cloud Basher on Thu, 18 Dec 2014 6:09 +0000

G'day all,
New guy here.

I have been an avid 4Der since I was about 5 and the old man had an old (well newish then!) FJ55. Grew up wheeling' and have owned a few 4WD's including GQ Patrol, Range Rover, KZJ120 series Prado Grande (wife's - for sale) and 100 series cruiser (just sold). I have tended to keep them all for a long time (14 years for the hunjy) except the foray into the Rangie world tat lasted three months, with the Rangie in the shop for 2.5 of those. Stoopid idiot...

I am about to pull the trigger on a runout model 2014 SR5 Hilux auto dual cab as we have bought an acreage and the Hilux will be eminently more useable, plus the wife is going back to uni and the Hilux will be cheaper to run than the Prado or the hunjy. Only decision now is White or Silver? I am leaning to white as I, well, just like it for 4WD's. Even if they do look like mining vehicles...

Admittedly I am new to owning Hilux's having previously paid them out for a lack of flex (compared to my live axle hunjy!) so I am not across which is good suspension to try and get a bit more clearance and flex (if possible!). I have only just started reading this forum so will do my research on it and not ask heaps of questions here that have already been answered ad-nausea.

Immediate planned mods after owning it for 50m (ARB store is right next to Maitland Toyota!) are:

From the ARB catalogue:
ARB colour coded deluxe winch bar with a couple extra aerial tabs (I like my comms)
Warn Winch (maybe one of the new ones? Any reports on them? If they are crap then it will be a XP9500i)
Safari Snorkel
Air Lockers front and rear (I was going to go e lockers, but the $995 ARB has at the moment has just about sold me. Yes I do know the issues with them...)

Undecided which brand of:

Canopy. Needs to be able to have a roof rack fitted. Do the new Ascent canopies from ARB have the ability to have a roof rack mounted? Must have a lift up window on one side and one that can be opened on the other side so the dog can have some air.

2-3" lift kit, with diff drop and UCA's (any suggestions on the best kits out there much appreciated)

Sliders - not the ARB side steps made from cheese

Rear step/towbar/bar. Any that provide good protection but better clearance than the ARB ones?

Tyres
I have had a great run out of the Goodyear Wrangler MTRs on my hunjy so will likely go them again, but not 100% sure. Might even go back to BFG Muddies, but I have not tried the KM2's only the KM's.

I will do all my own electrics including dual battery system etc.

I may fit a Steinbauer and 3" exhaust but will see how I go and how many fun tickets I have left.

My use will be around the acreage and some trips local to Newcastle area. Likely a Watagans trip thrown in every now and then just to exorcise the wheelin' demons, but I do have a trip as a backup vehicle for a DVD production up the Cape that I have been asked to go along on in July 2015 (just did a motorbike Cape trip with three mates on my XR400 in July this year). But this might not come off, I will know early in the new year.

As stated I will likely answer my own questions above through research but if anyone would like to help out with some possibilities to start me off in the right direction that would be very much appreciated.

I look forward to joining in and contributing to a new online forum/family, but I do tend to read more than post, so doubt I will be a prolific poster!

Cheers
Dave
Cloud Basher

Re: Newby

Postby Cloud Basher on Thu, 18 Dec 2014 6:11 +0000

Just another quick one, I will also be getting a spray on ute liner as well. Just need to decide which brand for the too.

Cheers
Dave
Cloud Basher

Postby Rocket55 on Fri, 19 Dec 2014 4:30 +0000

Image Welcome to the forum Dave :D nice intro, sounds like you've already got a lot of it planned out. I'd recommend.

Runva winch, one third the cost of Warn and just as good in my opinion. I just put one on my new bus where as on my old bus I had the Warn 9.5XP.
I loved my E-Lockers, but the financial reality of the air lockers atm is hard to pass up.
Lift - Ultimate Suspension, see Brendan.
UCA's, diff drop, and bash plates see Monster Rides and Matty will look after you
Sliders - Buds Customs, these can also be sourced through Monster Rides (same product and cost)
My ARB rear step was great, a bit low as you say but provided fantastic protection to the bottom and sides of the tub, for me I was happy with it.
I loved my Steinbauer and 3" Humex exhaust :D

Make sure you start up a build thread as I think this is going to be a cracker :D

This forum contains an almost endless array of knowledge about the Toyota Hilux and over the years a lot of topics, questions and issues have been addressed. In order to get the most out of the forum and in an attempt to try and keep the information in an organised (well semi :lol: ) manner, please utilise the search function at the top of the page and ask your questions or contribute to existing threads as much as possible.

Here are some useful links to help you get the most out of this forum.

Search
Advanced Search
Search Members Shed's
Sandpit - An area for new members to experiment with posting pictures
How to post pictures
Budget mods $50 or less - quick cheap awesome mods to get you started
Forum Directory (BIBLE WIP) - quick links to popular stuff
Oh and the Forum Guidelines, just in case you skipped them like I did ;) when signing up - Forum Guidelines

Welcome, and happy posting :D
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby kitdoctor on Sun, 04 Jan 2015 10:26 +0000

Welcome aboard Dave. Another option for your tub is the DIY Herculiner option. Less than $300. I'm happy with the results but mine was only to protect tub with draws installed. Cheers MONGO.
kitdoctor

Postby cuzo4x4 on Sun, 04 Jan 2015 11:48 +0000

Imageand enjoy
If I have anything Good to Say it will be Above.
My Shed: cuzo's Build
Pssst, if anyone asks, I was here between 10pm and 3am last night.

Shawn
07 SR5 Dual Cab
cuzo4x4

Return to Introductions