Scratcher's 2014 Hilux

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Scratcher's 2014 Hilux

Postby scratcher on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 2:11 +0000

So after a 2 month wait I finally took possession of my 2014 Hilux Wednesday. Before I'd even signed all the paperwork I'd booked it in for a 1000k service this Friday, I'm at 900km now so it was the right call :lol:. First 4wd I've owned so slightly more reluctant to scratch it (maybe I should have got scracth resistant minesite white), but it has its first scratch already so the hard part is over :roll:

It's a blue hilux... they all look the same at first :D So far it has a toughcoat on the tray, only up to the lip as I'm getting a canopy but unfortunately it doesn't come over the top of the tailgate either so will probably have to remedy that as that it where the first scratch appeared..... likely getting in and out of dive gear. It got it's first off road use on Saturday, not an overly challenging track but it did warrant low range :D

Modding will be slightly limited at first but it's booked in for an ARB rear air locker and rear step bar in a couple weeks. I've been umming and ahhing about whether to colour code or not but I think I'm going to go with colour coding as I quite like the blue :D

Also on the cards is a dual battery system which I'll do myself at some point over the next few months, and when it arrives in mid Feb (I think that's the ETA) I'm getting a razorback canopy fitted. My current plan on mods is to fit them on an as needed basis so I don't get too carried away, but we'll see how that goes :D I suppose I should fit a front recovery point and secondary fuel filter sooner rather than later.

Other eventual additions will likely be a 2" lift, bullbar, side steps and brush bars, spotties, uhf radio, front air locker and some decent off-road tyres but at this stage I'm not in any huge rush to get them :D
scratcher

Re: Scratcher's 2014 Hilux

Postby UltraLuxe on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 2:33 +0000

Interesting timeline I did mine almost the exact opposite to you but I do a lot of country driving so bar work was the foremost thing on my mind. Mint looking lux mate.

Cheers

Ultra
UltraLuxe

Postby NZMarkb on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 2:36 +0000

Nice colour, good choice
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby scratcher on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 3:06 +0000

NZMarkb wrote:Nice colour, good choice

Thanks, had to wait 2 months for the blue, worth the wait though... if I wanted charcoal grey I could have driven away with it that week :D

UltraLuxe wrote:Interesting timeline I did mine almost the exact opposite to you but I do a lot of country driving so bar work was the foremost thing on my mind.

Haha yeah, I know what you mean, if I lived in the country barwork would be a straight up must, but as I live in the city and mostly drive during the day if I'm headed bush it isn't too much of a requirement, and I don't plan on getting a winch so a front bar becomes even less necessary. Did see a small roo on the weekend but track conditions were keeping the speed pretty low so there wasn't much chance of hitting it :D
scratcher

Postby mylux04 on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 4:29 +0000

yeah nice looking lux, the first scratch is always the worst
I would go with the colour coding I reckon it looks good
good luck with it all
Cheers Tony
mylux04

Postby scratcher on Tue, 09 Dec 2014 10:25 +0000

so thanks to my mate's dive gear (left in the photo above) I have a few scratches already :roll:

Just on the lip of the tailgate... gonna have to get the toughcoat extended over the lip of the tailgate I think.

I got a jar(?) of touch up paint when I went in for my 1000k service... also picked up a very minor mod which I'm pretty happy with.....

Guy that sold me the car even got me a discount on it... a bonus on what's already a nice cheap cosmetic mod..... or free toyota advertising :lol:

Locker/rear bar install got delayed a couple weeks but that's no biggie.
scratcher

Postby blknblu on Wed, 10 Dec 2014 8:02 +0000

I would recommend getting the tray liner to go to the top of the tray .
blknblu

Postby scratcher on Wed, 10 Dec 2014 8:34 +0000

Getting a canopy so top of tray will be covered anyway, it's just the top of the tailgate that needs it... or my buddy needs to change his dive gear configuration :lol:
scratcher

Postby blknblu on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 3:17 +0000

Thats fair enough just make sure to put the glue for the rubber on the canopy not the tray some thing I wish some one would of told the previous owner of my hilux
blknblu

Postby scratcher on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 3:03 +0000

So the next bit of kit has gone onto my hilux. Added an ARB rear step bar and a rear air locker :D

ummed and ahhed a bit but decided on colour coding... very happy with the result:

didn't realise they'd put an exhaust tip on but it's a good idea.

Also, looking at the reversing camera view, I reckon it doesn't protrude as far behind the vehicle as the standard step does (excluding the tow hitch of course).

AIr Lockers..... pretty happy to have it in, too bad it's only rear at this stage... I will eventually get a front one although it might not be necessary really. Switches look good.

I was very impressed with the compressor installation.

They replaced the carrier bearings which I was surprised by as it's only done 3500k's but probably better to have all new bits in there, I wasn't too worried about it. They also said to change the diff oil after 2500k's which seemed sensible, doesn't cost much so I'll just get them to do it.

Vehicle felt a bit heavy to drive on the way home, but acceleration and instant economy figures suggested I was imagining it... though I'd imagine the rear diff would be a little stiff with new bits in it. Not an issue, just something I noticed.

Overall pretty happy with ARB experience, hopefully the razorback canopy experience will be just as good. but that's next month's problem... now that I have a compressor and a recovery point (rear bar) I might just have to do a little sand driving over the weekend :mrgreen:
scratcher

Postby gorilla5150 on Mon, 26 Jan 2015 6:58 +0000

Great looking setup Scratcher. i'm wondering about the rear ARB step myself but not sure about the lower departure angle. ARB told me I needed new carrier bearings as well. Think they do it to everyone even if new. I like your compressor location too. Keep the updates coming mate. 8-)
gorilla5150

Postby scratcher on Tue, 27 Jan 2015 1:18 +0000

Yeah, departure angle does suffer a little but compared to a factory tow bar maybe not too much in a straight line through the centre. I think the main thing there is to be aware of it, and to maybe reverse and turn slightly if it hits ground rather than powering through and bending it. As far as rear protection goes I think it'll do the job pretty well.
scratcher

Postby scratcher on Tue, 23 Jun 2015 6:31 +0000

Canopy is on... pretty happy with it, except when I picked it up the installer hadn't done the bolt for my seatbelt back up, bloody thing swung out when i went to put it on. They were very apologetic and did it up for me but they won't be my first choice for getting stuff done to my Hilux in the future.

That aside, I reckon it looks good. Still got to run the power into the tub but will get around to that soon. Had some minor water ingress but that came in through the tailgate and drain holes at the front of the tub during a rather large rainstorm the other day, and nothing to do with the canopy :D I aslo put one of those spring lift things in the tailgate, $60 dollar ebay bargain, not perfect but works well, no pics of that at the moment though, might pop a video on at some point.

It's the "razorback" canopy, but all sammitr branded so not sure there's any point going through razorback... plus it took 6 months to get the thing from when I ordered it... some hold up with the lift up window, but didn't really need it in the summer so all good.

Next thing will probably be racks to go on the tracks, Rhino make one with a key to take everything but the base block (maybe 2 cm high) off so will go with those so I can easily remove them when not required and still park in these ridiculously low undercover car parks we have in Perth :roll:

Sliding RHS.

Lift up LHS.

Looking straight in.
scratcher

Postby josh199 on Mon, 29 Jun 2015 5:57 +0000

Nothing shits you more than paying someone to do a job and they miss something or leave it loose. Whole point of paying them in the first place....

Tidy bus tho man looks the goods.
josh199

Postby rds_929 on Mon, 29 Jun 2015 6:16 +0000

awsome looking truck mate coming along nicely what did they sting your for the rear bar set up ??
rds_929

Postby singlespeed on Mon, 29 Jun 2015 7:51 +0000

Very nice!!
2014 Hilux SR5 D4D 5A Grey w/ Blk Leather

Disclaimer:
My opinion is the opposite of your opinion, even if you change your opinion to my opinion.
singlespeed

Postby scratcher on Sun, 12 Jul 2015 8:20 +0000

Cheers guys.

josh199 wrote:Nothing shits you more than paying someone to do a job and they miss something or leave it loose. Whole point of paying them in the first place.....

Totally, it was also missing a grommet for wiring on the side where it isn't wired. Asked TJM and they said they wouldn't remove it so factory must have forgotten it and they'd have to get it from them.. for now it has gaffer tape covering the hole so all good but still annoying.

rds_929 wrote:awsome looking truck mate coming along nicely what did they sting your for the rear bar set up ??

Rear bar was relatively reasonable, but couldn't tell you off hand what it was (away for work at the moment), but once factoring in the money from selling the stock rear bar on gumtree the changover price was probably about the same as a Toyota towbar :D
scratcher

Postby rds_929 on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 8:26 +0000

yeah i know nearly had a heart attack when they quoted me for one when i picked mine up :lol: :lol: :lol: did they install for you ??
rds_929

Postby scratcher on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 8:56 +0000

rds_929 wrote:yeah i know nearly had a heart attack when they quoted me for one when i picked mine up :lol: :lol: :lol: did they install for you ??

yeah, got the bar done with the rear locker and compressor so all done by ARB... they did a really good job. My only beef is that wiring for the rear bar comes under it so could potentially be pinched but there's no other way to run it and an easy roadside fix so not too worried.... it's also inside protective split tube, so relatively low risk.

I removed the tow hitch for extra space when parking and also as a shin saver, just keep it in the back in case I need it.
scratcher

Return to Member Build Ups