mvannns DC tourer

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

mvannns DC tourer

Postby mhannn on Tue, 21 Oct 2014 5:22 +0000

Hey guys, this is my 06 dual cab. Picked it up a few weeks ago to fulfil my touring duties. I'm currently taking a year off working to get some travelling done so it's pretty much my home at present, wouldn't have it any other way! So far I like it except for a few niggling things like the awful LSD, bad fuel economy etc but these can all be worked on, I've had several fourbies before but havent set them up for anything but rock crawling.
Here's how i picked it up, drove straigh from the sunny coast to gosford to visit family.
After about 2000 klms I picked up some shitty fuel, then the next day started getting the cold smokey rattle. Diesel care in Toowoomba sorted out the seals for me (for a few hundred fitted) and I had them add a second fuel filter while they were there. Grabbed a corolla stereo that was a direct plug in, now have Bluetooth and hands free for fifty bucks!
Added a second battery and tray, SB12 and wired up the override to a Carling switch on the dash. The second battery powers a switch box I've made up for the canopy, it had no lights when I bought it so I've added some work lights, interior light, fan, and in the switch box (just used a junction box) USB charger, voltmeter, Andersen for the fridge and a CIG plug. Also have a second Anderson on the back seat for the fridge. The box is controlled by a relay and switch up front so I can then it all off when the dog is in the back and he won't knock anything on.
Also, a mate had some old stuff off of his lux that he'd upgraded, took his old TJM bar and winch. Also added a 25" LED bar and some HID spotties. I previously always ran lf 240s, but after breaking a few and having some stolen I'm going to stick with the cheapies. For a hundred bucks they're great. On par with my LF'S I'd say and I won't be devastated when they get busted or pinched.
Still yet to stretch and fit steps, also fitted some flares I got for free and painted black.
On this trip I'm towing a tandem full of bikes and tools from Toowoomba to Darwin, so that should test the economy.
Still have a snorkel to fit but I ran out of time. Hopefully can get it done on the way.
Next plan is drawers to replace rear seat and an independent solar system in the trailer.
Last edited by mhannn on Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:59 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
mhannn

Re: mvannns DC tourer

Postby kitdoctor on Tue, 21 Oct 2014 1:06 +0000

Coming along very nicely there. Cheers MONGO.
kitdoctor

Postby cuzo4x4 on Tue, 21 Oct 2014 7:37 +0000

Nice start, Good idea with the 12volt in one of those boxes.

you should also try to re-size you pics before posting them there way to big ;)
If I have anything Good to Say it will be Above.
My Shed: cuzo's Build
Pssst, if anyone asks, I was here between 10pm and 3am last night.

Shawn
07 SR5 Dual Cab
cuzo4x4

Postby mhannn on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 3:04 +0000

Oh bugger, sorry. I'm posting from my phone and I'm not sure how to resize.
mhannn

Postby mhannn on Fri, 16 Jan 2015 12:05 +0000

UPDATE:
After two months of 4x4ing through NT & FNQ and only having to replace the front output shaft, two unis, a turbo and a LHS mirror (TWICE!) The hilux was fatally wounded north of Winten by a pack of roos. Has been a lengthy insurance claim, but is being written off, bullbar snapped and went into the bonnet, bent the condensor into the radiator, bent a guard, the passenger front door & a small ding in the roof.
Not sure what I'll replace it with but when the money clears I'll be checking out the auctions.
I'm keeping the camper and it's going in the for sale section.
mhannn

Postby stevenm on Thu, 12 Feb 2015 6:17 +0000

Gezz, what rotten luck :(
stevenm

Return to Member Build Ups