Problems fitting tjm dual cab side steps to space cab

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Problems fitting tjm dual cab side steps to space cab

Postby Samuel l on Thu, 31 Jul 2014 7:42 +0000

Hey guys first post so i hope im doing this right, i was just curious if anyone has had this trouble and if so how they got past it. So ive got my side steps bolted up to the gearbox crossmember thats worked fine. The trouble im having is with the back bracket what bolts over and under your chassis rail. Problem 1 is the bolts aro too long to even fit between the chassis and the cab so i cant get the top 1 through (the bottom 1s fine) and on the passanger side i believe there is brake lines above the chassis rail anyway and if i could get the bolt through its going to be resting on the brakelines anyway. Problem 2 is again on the passanger side the fuel tank is up against the chassis rail there for it makes it near impossible the get the rear bracket on and if i could i wouldnt be able to alighn the top bolt ect. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Samuel l

Re: Problems fitting tjm dual cab side steps to space cab

Postby Bushbound on Thu, 31 Jul 2014 3:44 +0000

I have Outback Acessories 160 litre tank so there is no room between it and the chassis rail so were very tricky to fit to my 2005 SR xtra cab
Have somebody hold and manouver the the front of the step, while you --
Place the top bolt and washer through the bracket and manouver the step into position and the bolt over the chassis rail and into position.
Start thread and leave loose, start bottom bolt and leave loose.
Put both bolts into front bracket, check everything looks OK and tighten up.

I then marked the steps, removed them and cut the excess off to make them look neat--

I have a bit of history with TJM bars, see my build thread from about page 4.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10129&start=60
If you plan to do serious off roading, I would also recommend you replace the plates that go over the back of the chassis with ones made from 40 X 10mm plate as those supplied are toooooooooo light. Simple rule of thumb taught to me 37 years ago as a first year apprentice -- the depth of a nut must be at least the diamater of the bolt. TJM use 10mm fine thread bolt and screw it into a 4 or 5mm plate. I binned them immediately as they would fail on the rough roads I travel.
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Re: Problems fitting tjm dual cab side steps to space cab

Postby Samuel l on Fri, 01 Aug 2014 6:08 +0000

Thanks heaps geoff! I was doing it myself so i had trouble alignin it all out. I ended up drilling out the top thread and putting the bolt through back the front with a lock nut on it instead, took somtime to get it all to happen but got there. I like your idea of shortenin the side steps will do that when i get the chance.
Samuel l

Return to Exterior Mods