OBD Protocol

OBD Protocol

Postby meep on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 4:49 +0000

Anyone know the OBD protocol used in Hilux?

Thanks

Peter
There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't.
2006 HiLux Vigo 3.0 - read my iLux blog here
meep

Re: OBD Protocol

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 6:12 +0000

Can Bus I think... any ELM 327 reader will be fine....

Will post up the one I got... (Still not sure if its causing me issues though)
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 3:08 +0000

Quinny23 wrote:Can Bus I think... any ELM 327 reader will be fine....

Well Quinny ya got me! How can ya get yer post up when you're limp all the time?
rodw

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 3:24 +0000

rodw wrote:
Quinny23 wrote:Can Bus I think... any ELM 327 reader will be fine....

Well Quinny ya got me! How can ya get yer post up when you're limp all the time?

Bwahaha......

Yeah... was really un impressed with the weekend... My mate Murphy!!!
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 3:36 +0000

On a serious note meep, the best OBD interface to get is the OBD Tools one as it has user upgradeable firmware and issue free upgrades. It comes with a CD f freeware that would get ou out of troule including a nice Car PC front end for it too. The ELM has to have the chip replaced to upgrade it.

From all reports the Chinese clones (like Quinny's) are often unreliable and problematic. Am I right there Quinny?
rodw

Postby olcoolone on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 3:52 +0000

Hilux's use OBD2 that you will find most cars from late 90's on used with a standard 16 pin rectangle plug.

They also have a half can bus system for communications.

A true scan tool will do a lot more then a OBD2 reader.

OBD2 was originally designed for emission testing so the amount of data available is limited and varies.
olcoolone

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 4:33 +0000

rodw wrote:
From all reports the Chinese clones (like Quinny's) are often unreliable and problematic. Am I right there Quinny?

At this point Im unsure... it works a treat but I thought it was causing the car to go into limp mode... with it unplugged I got limp 4 times I think at Tallarook... So I'm thinking its either the following...

The Xedde chip being plugged in full time to the Car PC
Feedback from a bad earth somewhere
The Xede programming
Murpheys Law!!

I think I can rule out the OBD connector as it was not attached the entire weekend... But so far the OBD unit I got has worked as designed but I'll know more after this weekend... Needless to say that after the crap I copped on the weekend and the crap I'll be copping for some time has encouraged me to sort it out ASAP.... :lol: :lol:
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 4:41 +0000

I would say you are right OBDI is read only so it shouldn't be your problem. With the problems with other chips, it is most likley to be the Xede and variations of conditions thereof. Hard to imagine that the Carpooter being plugged in all the time was an issue unless the software was alterig th eprogramming along the way.

I feel your pain mate, my carpooter monitor died during my first offroad trip and I know all my wiring was first class. Can just be one of those things...
rodw

Postby meep on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 5:12 +0000

Thanks for all the commenst guys.

Well, I'm not sure my HiLux uses OBD-II at all. :cry:

I received my elm327 usb interface (http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/1018) in the mail yesterday. Plugged it in to the DLC3 16 pin interface under the steering column but could not get ANY software to communicate.

I eventually followed the instructions at GLM software (http://www.glmsoftware.com/TipsAndTricks.aspx) for communicating directly via hyerterminal. I could ATZ the interface and set the protocol just fine but when I issues 0100 to query the available PIDs, all I got was 'searching...' followed by 'cannot connect'.

I then discovered this page: http://www.dtdauto.com/efianswer_e.htm

That seems to indicate that Asian Hiliuxs (like mine from Thailand) don't have ODB-II at all but still use the propriatray Toyota MOBD up to 2007 even though they have the DLC3 interface. (mines a 2006).

Any thoughts?

Peter
There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't.
meep

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 5:50 +0000

Same issue... easily sorted... the Baud is 38400 and not the default 4800 due to them being the OBD 3 compliant version. Re configure your software close it and reopen...

If still having issues it may be with the serial to USB adapter driver...

I also have a few free OBD tools that are tiny and I can email over that allow you to test things easily....
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby meep on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 6:34 +0000

Thanks Quinny. I have been running at 38,400. It may indeed be my USB adapter/driver. Anything you have to help would be appreciated. I'll PM you my address.

Peter
meep

Postby Zac on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:39 +0000

Over my head...
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!!
Zac

Postby meep on Wed, 29 Jul 2009 3:06 +0000

Thanks all for the various responses.

I've updated my USB/ELM drivers to latest versions (I was running 2002 vintage) but it has not helped. Now having run about 8 different pieces of scan software, all are getting just as far as I did with hyperterminal; connects fine to tyhe elm device but fails to connect to the car ECU.

I can only presume my problem is one of the following;

1. An issue with my laptop (it's old and running USB via a PCMCIA adapter)
2. An issue with my OBD/USB connector
3. My HiLux is not ODB-II as discussed above

Tomorrow I'll lug a pc down to the garage and eliminate issue one. Then I think I'll give up.

Peter
meep

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 29 Jul 2009 7:14 +0000

3. My HiLux is not ODB-II as discussed above

I can garantee it is if its the current model it has OBD...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 29 Jul 2009 7:56 +0000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT

Thats the unit I got... I'll get some pics of the setup and reconfirm settings at lunch.. I used the ute for work today so its in the car park...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Wed, 29 Jul 2009 1:25 +0000

Meep,

So what vehicle do you have? Hilux or Virgo? Diesel or Petrol? It is good to fill out the shed details so we can see this when giving advice.

I seem to remember something about a date mentioned for OBD support sometime in the past so I had a look at scanguage Australia here http://www.scangauge.com.au/support/Com ... cles.shtml

Anyway Scanguage says D4D diesel support for OBDII started early 2006 and that In mid 2005 Toyota changed to a compatible OBDII port protocol on the petrol engine. Who knows about the Virgo though but I thought they were the same car.

Anyway back to the PC stuff. I think you have confirmed that you can talk to the device via ATZ. So the problem is either the device can't talk to the car or the PMCCIA to USB adapter drops in and out. I think this is unlikley as PCMCIA is much like PCI.

Has the device got a link or DIP switch to change speed to 9600 baud? If so try that and reconfigure your COM port to use the slower speed and try again with Hyperterminal.

There are some OBDII forums around, maybe you could ask on one of them.
rodw

Postby meep on Wed, 29 Jul 2009 4:47 +0000

Once again thanks for taking the time to respond everyone.

@QUINNY
Thats the exact unit I've got.
My HiLux is a 3.0 D4D Vigo from Thailand.
Build date is Nov. 2005
Engine is 1KD-FTV

I suspect this might not be OBD-II. In addition to the link to EFI Scan FAQs (above), I've found this post where someone with the same engine in a Tacoma has the same issue: https://www.scantool.net/forum/index.ph ... 364.0;wap2

Also, this page (http://www.dtdauto.com/efiscanintro_e.htm) lists my engine for connections the non-obdii efi scan tool.

@RODW
I've filled in the shed details, thanks for the heads up. I've already tried multiple combinations of baud, flow control settings etc. Always the same.

I'll check out some of the OBD specific forums but I'm increasingly suspecting I'm on a hiding to nothing with this.

thanks again

peter
meep

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 29 Jul 2009 5:01 +0000

Couple of things mate... And I could be wrong but it wont take long for you to test this...

Firstly, I'd ensure you use the driver supplied as my usb was detected and installed automagically but I had to go into the properties of the new com port and
Update Driver
No Windows I dont want to you to check online,
I will choose the driver from a location
Point it at the driver disk/folder of driver and ensure it chages the driver......

Once done... restart...

Also, you may need to turn the car ACC of and on between tests in case it handshakes and locks the port on the car...

With regard to the scan tool, I think if anything your car will be OBD 1 which is a read only setup... It wont allow you to reset the engine fault light etc and thats why they dont recomend it for the scan tool as its more of a mechanical tool than a port reader if that makes sense...

If in doubt another path to take would be to hook it up to another vehicle and test the software connection and laptop issues.

If it works than I'm happy to be told Im wrong about your truck and i'll arrange for a six pack to be delivered to you in the UK... (The drink kind and not the IRA kind)

Spoke wihth Rod tonight as Im keen to keep you going with this as between the three of us I'd like to work on some of the finer points of reading the codes and making a plugin for Centrafuse.. Will save a fair few bucks on gauges....
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Wed, 29 Jul 2009 5:40 +0000

Yeh Meep Quinny called me tonight as he wants Hilux/Virgo driving Car PC nuts to take over his Irish Leprechaun world.... and rise to domination on this forum... Let me See Rod, Quinny and Meep, the three Car PC Geeks :geek: :geek: :geek:
When Quinny sends you that beer, just make sure you specify XXXX beer mate (Pronounced Four X), I think there is an ad for it on TV over there ATM (on account Mmaaxx emailed me the clip about four eggs which was about an unfortunate communication error involving the said brew). It's brewed in my town and my first response to Quinny's call was to grab one out of the fridge and I hung up as soon as it was empty... I gave him some feeble excuse about having to go, but you might as well know the real reason. :P Hope you don't like your beer warm over there mate. :roll:

Anyway back on topic with the Car PC Geek stuff! :geek: :geek: :geek: Quinny thinks that you may have told Windoze to automatically install a driver for the OBDI connector. It is possible that there was another USB-Serial driver on your system that Windowz might have installed for you that is causing some grief. So what he is getting at is that you should uninstall the driver and start again and tell Windooz that you know what you are doing and browse to the correct driver..

If you have a dig on the Mp3car and maybe the UK forum you should be able to find reference to a Microsoft command line tool called DEVCON.EXE which is a MS free download. It allows you to remove all the USB drivers with one command and then reinstall them. This is a really good thing to do once your Car PC is getting stable as it cleans up all the of drivers that confuse the system. I have made up a couple of batch files that run it to uninstal and reinstall the USB devices.

So if you can get to a stage that you are confident the driver is installed then I am sorry but it would seem that yur car does not support OBD. Quinny knows more about this OBD stuff than me 'cos he has actually got one so I am not as informed as him. (BTW he is a real PC :geek: because that's what he does when he goes to work.) Anyway Quinny reckons the difference between OBDI and OBDII is that OBDII suports some write options and if you got an OBDI system then you should be able to read but maybe not reset the check engine light..

So it looks like I better order one of those cheap ones Quinny has got so I can help out a bit more.
rodw

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 29 Jul 2009 5:55 +0000

But dont forget to test on another car to make sure your laptop (EG tools) are fine... nothing worse than testing with faulty equipment only to find after you replace a working device... :shock:

Thanks Rod for truth... I no longer think badly of you as I thought it was a reality TV show you where ditching me for :lol: :lol: :lol:

But XXXX mate... C'mon.... TED's are the way to go... LOL.... Each to there own... As long as its cold... :D
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Electrical