Fuel Tank Breather

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel Tank Breather

Postby oldrev on Mon, 12 May 2008 7:51 +0000

just a bit of food for thought.
i know a few of you are busyly fitting extended rear diff breather ect.
has anybody given any thought to whether or not we should be lifting the fuel tank breather up also.
on the standard tank it is well below the level of the breathers that we have ending in the engine bay.
i'm thinking that in deepwater crossings and the possibility of actually getting stuck with the breather actually under water.
i'd be interested in other's thought on this ?
regards
ken
oldrev

Fuel Tank Breather

Postby oldrev on Tue, 13 May 2008 8:42 +0000

well there ya go!
a few lookers but no opinions maybe?

i thought this subject had a bit of merit for discussion.
the reasons why i think is water in the fuel tank is much more terminal than water in any diff, gearbox or transfer case will ever be .
let's face it if we drive a bit too far after we get a gut load of water in either diff we will stuff the axle and carrier, pinion bearings but not in 1/2 anhour of limping back to camp or where ever.
BUT water in the fuel that's another issue altogether as has been decribed in numerous threads beforehand.
am i barking @ the wrong tree here or should we not even concern ourselves with it.?
regards
ken
oldrev

Fuel Tank Breather

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 13 May 2008 8:47 +0000

Ken.
Isnt the breather for the fuel tank located inside the filler neck of tank? Mines a dual cab with a tub so i think it is all intergrated in the one filler neck. When ever I fill up mine sometimes diesel comes out of a little hole in the neck and bleeds back down to filler neck to the tank. I though that the tank cannot be vented to the outside atmosphere due to flammability issues. Could be wrong?
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Fuel Tank Breather

Postby oldrev on Tue, 13 May 2008 8:55 +0000

skog
i pretty sure the standard tank has a breather hose of some sort that lays along the top of the tank towards the front.
i have a c/chas and my filler is just a locked cap
dunno
ken
oldrev

Return to Fuel Systems