Is a chip really that good?

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Is a chip really that good?

Postby onall4 on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 5:57 +0000

for what it's worth I'm going to remove my VMN chip. The car went into limp mode three times on a recent bush trip...no big deal I hear you say...it's a pain in the bum having to stop and reset, when you shouldn't have to.

I'm just happy it didn't go into limp going up the Toowoomba range. I might be a bit slower but at least I won't have to stop to reset. As I tow a trailer, I might look at re-gearing further down the track.
onall4

Postby Noidea on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 6:33 +0000

onall4 wrote:for what it's worth I'm going to remove my VMN chip. The car went into limp mode three times on a recent bush trip...no big deal I hear you say...it's a pain in the bum having to stop and reset, when you shouldn't have to.

I'm just happy it didn't go into limp going up the Toowoomba range. I might be a bit slower but at least I won't have to stop to reset. As I tow a trailer, I might look at re-gearing further down the track.

Have you checked to see what the error code is it is throwing up?? The VMN chip alters injector timing so shouldnt throw a code. Ive been running mine (a VMN one) for about 18 months without a single code due to it (a few others that were my doing though :oops: )
Noidea

Postby outbackjoe on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 7:01 +0000

In response to the original post, chips do not improve the thermodynamic efficiency of a motor. The argument for them improving fuel efficiency is that it allows a lower gear selection which reduces friction contribution from engine. The difference is minor, arguably it's not even there, most of the difference people perceive would be down to different driving styles, different driving conditions and placebo. I wouldn't buy a chip to save fuel. The fuel saving is marginal and in my opinion the overall cost of ownership is higher due to increased wear on engine.
outbackjoe

Postby outbackjoe on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 7:08 +0000

Put another way, a manufacturer would always take advantage of significant fuel savings available from software only, unless it compromised other design parameters.
outbackjoe

Postby outbackjoe on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 7:45 +0000

Put another way, a manufacturer would always take advantage of significant fuel savings available from software only, unless it compromised other design parameters.
outbackjoe

Is a chip really that good?

Postby NimrodAUS on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 8:49 +0000

outbackjoe wrote:Put another way, a manufacturer would always take advantage of significant fuel savings available from software only, unless it compromised other design parameters.

Think you nailed it on the head. I won't be chipping my hilux. Just not worth the pain of new injectors. If Toyota could have made this engine more powerful and use less fuel they certainly would have for the 2012 model because no doubt they would have lost loads of sales to the more powerful Utes on the market now. Just my two cents worth
NimrodAUS

Postby onall4 on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 9:11 +0000

Noidea wrote:
onall4 wrote:for what it's worth I'm going to remove my VMN chip. The car went into limp mode three times on a recent bush trip...no big deal I hear you say...it's a pain in the bum having to stop and reset, when you shouldn't have to.

Have you checked to see what the error code is it is throwing up?? The VMN chip alters injector timing so shouldnt throw a code. Ive been running mine (a VMN one) for about 18 months without a single code due to it (a few others that were my doing though :oops: )

No, don't know Josh. I'll never know now either, as I've already taken the chip out. It never went into limp prior to the chip being fitted and hasn't since removing it. I felt that I couldn't trust it.
onall4

Postby Noidea on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:15 +0000

onall4 wrote:
Noidea wrote:

No, don't know Josh. I'll never know now either, as I've already taken the chip out. It never went into limp prior to the chip being fitted and hasn't since removing it. I felt that I couldn't trust it.

If you reset the MIL by just turning the car off and on again they (the error codes) will be stored in your ecu.

Just get a scanner and have a look :D
Noidea

Postby Hellbound on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 3:17 +0000

First ive heard about a VMN chip throwing a code, must be the first on the forum i think!

Love to know what code came up as im sure it means something else is up with it...
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby amitch888 on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 3:20 +0000

Hellbound wrote:First ive heard about a VMN chip throwing a code, must be the first on the forum i think!

Love to know what code came up as im sure it means something else is up with it...

X2!

Generally a very realistic chip, slightly lesser tune then some and never known to cause any problems :?
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby Hellbound on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 3:32 +0000

Could the code be related to clogged egr or turbo stepper motor fault, since they're other common codes that are thrown?
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby Monaz on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 3:36 +0000

I'd also like to add that Im sure VMN would love to hear about it, because Im fairly sure that he would be interested to know...not to mention help in some way or another!
Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is Optional..!!
Monaz

Postby highoctane on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 5:16 +0000

im in a bit of a pickle at the moment, im keen to get some sort of chip/module but dont know which way to go either chip it or diesel smart. Chip it seems to have a pretty good rep but like most im not keen to raise rail pressure and decrease injector life. Supercar performance have the diesel smart module that adjust timing( has 4 plugs that plug straight into the injectors) and they guarentee better fuel ecconomy by just adjusting the timing but I havent heard either a good or bad report. Anyone tried one of these modules?
have a dorris on youtube, the have done a fair few common rails with chip-like results. feed back would be great :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/SupercarPer ... w=0&page=1
highoctane

Postby pigbuds on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 8:21 +0000

Just fitted chip it the other day and now it sounds like ww3 under my bonnet. Injectors make a little noise for a couple minutes on a cold morning without the chip, with the chip it lasts for a lot longer and is way louder however once warm there is no rattle. should i remove it?
pigbuds

Postby highoctane on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 8:33 +0000

how many k's has your engine done mate? still original injectors?
highoctane

Postby pigbuds on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 9:59 +0000

110,000 with original injectors as far as I know
pigbuds

Postby onall4 on Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:34 +0000

Monaz wrote:I'd also like to add that Im sure VMN would love to hear about it, because Im fairly sure that he would be interested to know...not to mention help in some way or another!

sent VMN a PM a week or so ago, to date no reply. Can't be that interested then.
I'm not interested now that I've removed it. I all know is that the motor seemed to be 'surging' each time before it went into limp.
onall4

Postby Alby on Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:54 +0000

onall4 wrote:
Monaz wrote:I'd also like to add that Im sure VMN would love to hear about it, because Im fairly sure that he would be interested to know...not to mention help in some way or another!

sent VMN a PM a week or so ago, to date no reply. Can't be that interested then.
I'm not interested now that I've removed it. I all know is that the motor seemed to be 'surging' each time before it went into limp.

Rod may be away at the moment, he did post that he was heading to central Qld I think?? I would be surprised if he does not make contact with you.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby tcurve on Thu, 26 Jul 2012 1:10 +0000

Anyone got a decent chip they want to sell me for a 06 KUN26R.
Also if I do run a chip do I have to have the exhaust straight away or is the chip fine without bugger exhaust?
tcurve

Postby DieselSmart on Fri, 27 Jul 2012 9:44 +0000

pigbuds wrote:Just fitted chip it the other day and now it sounds like ww3 under my bonnet. Injectors make a little noise for a couple minutes on a cold morning without the chip, with the chip it lasts for a lot longer and is way louder however once warm there is no rattle. should i remove it?

The reason you have injector rattle is because they increase rail pressure at low RPM's which is causing to much diesel to be injected causing the head of the injector to hammer. This will dramatically shorten the life of your injector. Hilux's run different injector timing when they're cold vs when they're hot and that's why it gets better as the car gets warm.

To our knowledge we are the only company in Australia that alters Injection timing along with pulse widths, duration and of course boost. With our fuel mapping and our ability to alter timing along with increase in boost we can offer genuine savings in fuel, then if you want more power for towing - simple change programs and away you go.

I'm quiet happy to answer any questions you might have about our products. So feel free to ask :)
DieselSmart

PreviousNext

Return to Engines