Dual cab behind seat water bladder

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Postby Diddy-Lux on Sun, 17 Apr 2011 7:38 +0000

Is there any chance of something rubbing through grabbing or biting the bladder or is it all safe
I should of listened to the mrs and just bought the hilux instead of the triton 2yrs ago. oh well better late then never
Diddy-Lux

Re: Dual cab behind seat water bladder

Postby sammo on Mon, 18 Apr 2011 3:04 +0000

Good to see you guys are happy with it ,i dont believe anything will rub through ,no sharp edges around it ,as long as it is all standard behind seat ,it would be no good if you have compressors,amps etc behind seat as it takes up all the available space when full but i guess time will tell how strong they are , i dont see any problems with quality as they were first designed for army and mine applications.
sammo
sammo

Postby TrentRyan on Tue, 19 Apr 2011 2:02 +0000

Hi guys, make sure you check and if necessary tighten the top and bottom nut that pulls the inner seal up tight. I did not do this and lux was swimming in water next morning. Not a big deal, pulled out trim kick panel and door panel plastics and soaked up as much as possible with towel, Left doors open to dry in sun. As car was parked on camber of road only one side was wet and only approx 10 liters escaped as it was the top nut.
TrentRyan

Postby TrentRyan on Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:00 +0000

OK Guys is any one else experiencing their bag leaking. I filled it again to top and went out to check it at it has leaked again through car. Not sure why but it keeps leaking from top seal. I'll have to pull it out after Easter and hang it and see why top seal is leaking. May not be seated properally against the top nut is my guess. Note this is more than likely user installation error, the product I am sure is sound and tested to death.
TrentRyan

Postby Jack S on Thu, 21 Apr 2011 6:03 +0000

What you mean when you say top nut? Any chance you could get a photo as I should receive mine today and would like to check this out before I install...
Jack S

Postby TrentRyan on Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:28 +0000

Jack S wrote:What you mean when you say top nut? Any chance you could get a photo as I should receive mine today and would like to check this out before I install...
Jack there is two nuts one on outlet one on inlet. You can't go wrong. I am on a ferry to KI at present so can't help with photo. Spoke to manufacturer he suggested I redo the teflon tape I may not have put enough on as I was worried about putting to much tape on and then cracking the elbow to the inlet, or there is a chance i have cracked the elbow when I tightened it. I will be removing the water bag this arvo and retaping it before re fitting when I hit my camp site, I will advise when I solve the issue. I am sure it will be a simple solution.
Last edited by TrentRyan on Thu, 21 Apr 2011 1:56 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
TrentRyan

Postby TrentRyan on Thu, 21 Apr 2011 1:54 +0000

Ok it was the seal behind the top nut it had become pinched when it was originally fitted. I reset it by removing it and putting it back in place it all sits a lot flatter now. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem but I am pretty confident.
TrentRyan

Postby Jack S on Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:57 +0000

Right oh guys, well just fitted the bladder!
First impressions is that it's very well made and I was extremely suprised with how heavy the bloody thing was... I just filled it up and no signs of leaks yet, but just one tip: when filling it up, make sure you do it slowly, I put the hose in and it was a little too quick, I could hear that noise when it's getting full, so I stopped the water but all it was, was the air trying to get out and brang a heap of water with it, lol I laughed pretty hard...
Also when it's full you are unable to lift up the back seat as it puts too much pressure on the bladder, so don't put something important underneath on a trip away than fill bladder as you won't get it out...

Other than that I think it will be very handy to have and glad I saved a little bit by getting in before end of April, also thanks sammo for organiseing a discount on it!! :)
Jack S

Postby sammo on Fri, 29 Apr 2011 5:53 +0000

Guys
i liased with the manger today of flexitank and he has extended discounted price for another month for new hilux members as there has been plenty of interest ,so any one elese interested the deal sticks for another month just use the same link for the discount in the original post.The manger has asked for any feedback on the the units ,so please pm me positive or negative and i will forarwd on to him,mine was a blessing over easter ,it left more space for beer in the tub.
Cheers Sammo
sammo

Postby Jack S on Fri, 29 Apr 2011 6:30 +0000

Well after driving around a little this arvo after I installed the bladder, off road it would be as noisy as hell with the water sloshing around, just going down and up my driveway it's very noisy! On road if ain't too bad unless you have to turn sharply....

Maybe abit of feedback for you sammo!
Jack S

Postby sammo on Fri, 29 Apr 2011 6:45 +0000

Thanks for the feed back jack
i drove some 200ks over easter on shitty dirt tracks for a 3 day camping trip and the noise of the bladder was not a issue,but it was full to the brim on the way in,and yes the most noticable noise from water sloshing for me also occurs in my driveway as it is usually at very slow speed but not a issue as it is also is a very short time period.
Cheers sammo
sammo

Postby asmo on Fri, 29 Apr 2011 9:40 +0000

bairdy380 wrote:Hi guys...excuse my igonorance here....but how does the water get from one bay to the other in the OL foot well design...or is there and exit hose on both ends?
Cheers
Bairdy

Hey Bairdy and all,
I have had the OL foot well intalled and done a few "000 km's all good
Like the idea and works well with kids as they put their feet on it (just) and bladder dont work (kid restraints)
The water gets to the other side as its all one big tank so it fills one side and the well cut out is 2 inches below the top so it just runs across the top.
Good when using it too as if you are stopped you know you have 10-15 liters left when one side is dry. then i use the other side hose ( that you need to get from bunnings,, only supplied with one hose and a bung)

also i sit it on 2 pieces of ply as i think it touches in the well. but its not needed.
asmo
asmo

Postby TerritoryMick on Sun, 01 May 2011 10:08 +0000

Hey guys,
Got back from my Easter trip this arvo. Didn't totally go to plan (ie. busted wheel bearing in the middle of no-where! :x) but that's another story.

The one thing I can comment on, after 3000+kms with the bladder near full, it performed very well. I had my backseat removed so the bladder seemed to buldge a little more than it should have at the bottom, causing it to create tension on the external tarp cover, resulting in a small rip on one of the hook loops. No structural damage to the bladder and it held up very, very well! Having the back seat in place would eliminate this.

Happy customer :D
Cheers, Mick
TerritoryMick

Postby Noidea on Mon, 02 May 2011 5:15 +0000

Just a bit of feedback from myself also, I had a problem with the inlet screw being loose as well but i tightened it all up before i installed it and it works great. First big trip over easter and im happy to say no leaks and not alot of water noise. Yes you can hear the water splash around going down gutters and what not but with general driving and with the radio on I couldnt hear anything. Very happy with it :D :D

Josh
Noidea

Postby kranky81 on Mon, 02 May 2011 9:32 +0000

good to hear guys, mine just arrived today, will put it in this weekend.
thanks for organising this sammo :D
Cheers Josh
kranky81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sammo on Mon, 02 May 2011 6:05 +0000

Good to hear most are happy , most importantly it gives you back some storage space !
sammo

Postby TrentRyan on Wed, 04 May 2011 9:25 +0000

Replaced seal behind top nut. Drove for last 4 days no leaks. All good now. Thanks again Sammo.
Last edited by TrentRyan on Wed, 04 May 2011 9:25 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
TrentRyan

Postby TrentRyan on Wed, 04 May 2011 9:25 +0000

Customer service was excellent, spare seal sent straight away.
TrentRyan

Postby 2007Lux on Thu, 05 May 2011 8:24 +0000

A quick report after one camping trip (1000km, 95% bitumen, 5% Offroad). Sloshing only noticeable when going slow (1st low range) over bumps. Taste is really plasticy BUT I didn't flush it first. I will put some more water in it and go water the lawn with it a few times to see if this improves. I did also use a garden hose to fill but the taste was bad, however I survived.

Do I recommend it: Yes.
"of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
2007Lux

Postby 2007Lux on Thu, 05 May 2011 8:28 +0000

2007Lux wrote:A quick report after one camping trip (1000km, 95% bitumen, 5% Offroad). Sloshing only noticeable when going slow (1st low range) over bumps. Taste is really plasticy BUT I didn't flush it first. I will put some more water in it and go water the lawn with it a few times to see if this improves. I did also use a garden hose to fill but the taste was bad, however I survived.

Do I recommend it: Yes.

Oh I almost forgot to mention that I run one baby seat with it and no problems. I just made some padding from inner tube to cover the clip that attaches to the anchor point. Also no leaks from pipe fittings either.
"of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
2007Lux

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion