Cracked Chassis Rails

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: Cracked Chassis Rails

Postby gruntre69 on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 8:39 +0000

Great part of the world mate! Can't wait to get up there again myself! I really want to get North next time up to the Mitchell Plateau.....
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby ssdsibes on Mon, 21 Jun 2010 8:19 +0000

gruntre69 wrote:Great part of the world mate! Can't wait to get up there again myself! I really want to get North next time up to the Mitchell Plateau.....

We were told the other day the road there is closed but they didn't block it off and a hell of a lot of cars/caravans are busted on the road, a couple of young blokes pulled into the park here in a Navara just back from Mitchell Plateau with their bullbar falling off and putting a hole in the left front, they are trying to bolt it back on now.

Sam
ssdsibes

Postby SquiDz0r on Fri, 06 Jun 2014 1:02 +0000

HI ssdsibes,

think i have the same issue with my 08' hilux, i have an older style Iron man protector bullbar, winch and spotties fitted on mine and have recently cracked my front chassis rail.. going to see what can be done to repair it, most say welds will just crack again, would it be better to replace?

looks like my crack is on the other side of the rail from yours.

ssdsibes wrote:Some of you might remember that my Iron Man bullbar was flexing and hitting the guards on bumpy roads and I had it looked at Geraldton and the fella said the bolts are tight and there is no way the bar is going to come off.
Heading out then to Karijini on the dirt roads the bar was still flexing heaps, so when i arrived in Broome, I had the Iron Man dealer have a look at it.
As I showed him the movement of the bar, he noticed that the chassis rails are both cracked where the winch cradle mounts to.
I have attached some pics of the right hand side only.

So now we know why my bar is flexing a bit.... actually it's about to fall off!!!

Sam & Ang in Broome
SquiDz0r

Postby Hellbound on Fri, 06 Jun 2014 6:56 +0000

Seems like its an ironman bullbar problem and not toyotas fault... ARB bars mount with a different bracket which would explain why none of them have cracked the chassis in that spot
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Previous

Return to General Discussion