Evaporator Core Removal + A/C odour

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Evaporator Core Removal + A/C odour

Postby Beckston23 on Sun, 10 Aug 2014 5:12 +0000

I've had a musty bad odour smell come out the AC, especially in the summer when the cars been left out in in the sun. I've tried everything I can, changing the filter and running literally 3 full cans of sanitiser through through the system and it still comes back. I took it to Toyota and they they said for them to even look look at it and not guarantee a fix, was 1400. The car only 1 1/2 years old and is kept spotless so I can't figure it out. It gets that bad that in summer I can't even use the AC because the smell is worse than that the 40 degree heat!

I'm assuming it's the evaporator core or something building up in there, has anyone had experience removing it on a newer Hilux or had the same problem with the AC? What are people's recommendations? Any help would be appreciated alot, thanks!
Beckston23

Re: Evaporator Core Removal + A/C odour

Postby mitch_893 on Sun, 10 Aug 2014 6:14 +0000

When your ac is on, do you get water dripping under the car? Floors arnt wet at all?
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby dino12 on Sun, 10 Aug 2014 8:33 +0000

mate I'm guessing when you switch off the air on you just wheel into the garage and switch off the aircon and then the engine or just switch off the engine which also switches off the aircon. there is always moisture buildup in any aircon evaporator which need to be purged before switching off. the only way to be sure of getting the moisture out is if about a kilometre or half a kilometer from home you turn off the aircon and leave the fan running this blows air through the evaporator and blows out any moisture in it. if you don't do this moisture sits in the evaporator and there is a mould buildup in the unit which stinks the car out . the only way you will get rid of it is to take out the evaporator unit and clean it out, if you can clean it out. other than that just switch it off the correct way until the mould eventually dries out and stops smelling. if you can locate the air inlet you may be able to spray a disinfectant up the inlet while the fan is running and kill it off perhaps. other than that install a new evaporator at great expense I guess.
cheers.
dino12

Postby hylux on Sun, 10 Aug 2014 8:35 +0000

I had the same issue, made you sick at times. I ran a can of stuff thru it which helped for a while. I have noticed that after 4 years its not as bad. Best thing that helps is tuning off the ac a couple of minutes before you stop if your parking in the sun all day. Also a during summer I run without the ac on for a while when it gets bad.
keen to see if anyone else comes up with a real fix
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:54 +0000

It is a complete dash out job to get the evaporator out
boxhead55

Postby Beckston23 on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 11:16 +0000

mitch_893 wrote:When your ac is on, do you get water dripping under the car? Floors arnt wet at all?

I tried leaving the car and AC on for about 10-15 minutes in the garage. There is, but it's minimal.
Beckston23

Postby Beckston23 on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:06 +0000

Thanks for the help everyone. Yeah that's what I generally do during summer, and the AC is on every time so when I get home I just switch straight off. Definitely learnt my lesson from the smell it is pumping out atm. I decided to take the evaporator out with a mate save a couple bucks, but I'm kinda stuck now as what to do next? Has anyone taken the evaporator out of a 2012 model hilux?

This is how far I've gotten.

Beckston23

Postby johnwood on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 5:14 +0000

have a chekcon maronbaweahter / hilux manual site for step by step removal. cant 100% say it is on there but large possibility

our site fridges have bent up a water blaster and stick it in through blower and blast out the aircons once a year as we get a lot of dust getting sucked throu them and bonding to the wet fins on evap
johnwood

Postby mattwhite on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 5:56 +0000

Wow. Good luck.
mattwhite

Postby Beckston23 on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 9:37 +0000

Finally managed to pull the A/C box out of the car, located the smell from the evaporator but the odd thing is that it looks brand new. If you put it to your nose and smell it though, there is a strong sour smell. Not too sure if I should buy a new one to replace it or just clean the old one. Called Toyota and the replacement evaporator is 900 bucks! Does anyone have any idea where to get one, or the best way to clean it so the smell won't come back?

Here are some pics of my baby in pieces :(

I found this one on ebay, not too sure if it will fit though? Mine is a late 2012 with the new face, SR5 Turbo Diesel dual cab.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-HILUX ... 336e6e665f
Beckston23

Postby mitch_893 on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:51 +0000

http://ishop2.cooldrive.com.au/products/EV3179

Give them a ring. Ask for price and suitability. Usually very well priced.
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 4:44 +0000

Beckston23 wrote:Finally managed to pull the A/C box out of the car, located the smell from the evaporator but the odd thing is that it looks brand new. If you put it to your nose and smell it though, there is a strong sour smell. Not too sure if I should buy a new one to replace it or just clean the old one. Called Toyota and the replacement evaporator is 900 bucks! Does anyone have any idea where to get one, or the best way to clean it so the smell won't come back?

Woah!! you have been busy :o
I wouldn't think it necessary to buy a new one given the work you have done and the apparent good condition of the evaporator. I would imagine the smell would be caused my mold/fungi spores - usually easily killed with chlorine but I am not sure if this would damage the hardware. There must be someone who works with aircon units that could advise of a safe cleaner.
Talktheroo said something about cleaning out his condensor on Pradotech....
http://www.pradotech.com/phpbb/posting.php?mode=quote&f=131&p=8131
Talktheroo wrote:Mate, you should smell my air conditioning. It's like I was still out on the Gibb River Road or the Tanami track, with the dust. I will have to change out the condenser. Catch you later, John.

John might be able to advise if no one else does. Looks like you are so close to putting it all back together :D
Any tips to share so far with the removal?
DeadlyBeast

Postby johnwood on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 7:17 +0000

Hi did you find the guide on maronbahweather? If not mind writing a quick one up, one hwere hidden nuts/ screws might be etc?
johnwood

Postby cmilton54 on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 8:13 +0000

Hi
The smell will only be from the outside of the evap. The unit is sealed with seals to hold the refrigerant in.
If they leak you would have no cooling at all.
What ever you do DONT get any water liquid inside of evap core, you may even have a problem now with moisture that is just in the air (Humidity) in the system.
Moisture in the system has to be got out, and the oil in the system is very hydroscopic to moisture.
Charlie
cmilton54

Postby martynvella on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 7:02 +0000

second that Charlie, the system should be sealed as soon as the fitting was disconnected from the evap, the moisture in the air reacts with some refrigeration oils to form an acid, moisture will boil out of the oil when on vac before the recharge but the acid remains in the oil.

What would be good is a pic of the assembled unit before it is put back into the cab showing where the evap sits so a pipe can be fashioned to flush out the core without full disassembly as was suggested earlier.

As for cleaning it, been told vinegar kills mold spores.
martynvella

Return to General Discussion