ARB revering Camera install

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

ARB revering Camera install

Postby lais817 on Mon, 29 Apr 2013 4:36 +0000

~EDIT~ OKay, once I realised that you can remove the Toyota mirror and use the existing mount, this whole operation became a lot easier. I've done a little write up below with pics so others can have a go at installing a system too.

Hey guys, just picked up a new ARB reversing camera for the mrs, and I'm in the process of removing the Toyota rear-view mirror and installing the ARB mirror / screen in its place. The issue I've got is that the toyota mirror has a piece of black plastic "film" on the inside that the mirror support is glued to, and the ARB comes with a new piece of plastic film, which is supposed to go on the OUTSIDE of the windscreen.

Has anybody put one of these in themselves, and/or had one fitted by ARB, and did they stick the plastic on the outside of the glass? It just seems stupid to me to have it stuck outside in the elements and in the path of the windscreen wipers.

Also, any tips on removing the old mirror?

Ash
Last edited by lais817 on Fri, 03 May 2013 7:14 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Insert witty comment here

Check out my Build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11921
lais817

Re: ARB revering Camera install

Postby ARB 4X4 Accessories on Wed, 01 May 2013 1:45 +0000

Hi Ash, I can confirm that the black film does go on the outside of the windscreen. It's there to prevent UV exposure to the glue on the inside and should be well out of the way of the windscreen wipers.

Cheers, Sam.
ARB 4X4 Accessories Head Office
ARB 4X4 Accessories

Postby lais817 on Fri, 03 May 2013 7:07 +0000

Thanks Sam, I just find it very strange that the "new" film goes on the outside when the OEM mirror has it mounted on the inside of the glass. I have worked out how to remove the Toyota mirror cleanly and I've just installed the ARB one using the existing mount, write up coming soon!

lais817

Postby lais817 on Fri, 03 May 2013 8:23 +0000

Okay, so after doing some googling about installing the ARB reversing camera and not really finding anything (I guess most people get it installed by the workshop), I nutted it out myself and thought I'd put it up here to help others out. It's not hard by any means, but there's a few little things that might leave you thinking for a while.

First things first, it removing your old rearview mirror, as the ARB system comes with a replacement which has a small LCD screen built in which lights up when in reverse. The OEM mirror has a small plastic shroud over the metal "button" which the mirror arm mounts to.

This is removed by gently twisting side to side and pulling, it has two small plastic clips which hold it on. Once this is off, you just need to get a flat bladed screw driver, (preferably wrapped in electrical tape so you don't scratch your glass). To remove the mirror arm from the metal "button" on the windscreen,all you need to do is, using the screwdriver, press the plastic tab on the underside of the mounting point down towards you, and pull the mirror assembly upwards. You may have to rock it back and forth a little but it should just slide off (this is on an 08 model, not sure if later/earlier ones are the same). Here's a pic of the mounting assemble once off showing the plastic tab, and how it mounts to the metal button.

And the metal button left after removal

Next step is to slide the ARB mirror onto the mounting button on the windscreen and tighten the grub screw to hold it on. The ARB mount is slightly different to the OEM one, and needs the grub screw to keep it attached, instead of a plastic clip.

Next, route the video cable for the mirror up under the lip of the roof lining. If you have some small convuluted tubing it would probably help prevent the cable from coming out of the lining, but I didn't so just pushed it in. I did however remove the passenger's side sunvisor so I could push the cable in as far as I though necessary. The visor is held in with 2 screws on the door side and a screw with a plastic plug (pictured below) on the inside. Just remove the screw and gently pull the plug out. Push your cable in, and push the plug back in after, tighten screws.

As I chose to run the cable down the passenger's side, I then removed the A-pillar panel and ran the video feed cable down inside it. It is held on with two #2 Phillips screws and 2 plastic plugs which should pop out if you gently pull the panel off starting at the top.

This will expose the existing wiring (I assume its the courtesy light wires) and a few clips to hold the new cable in place as well. I also used a few small zip ties down at the bottom of the cable run before it drops under the dash.

I didn't get any photos of it at the time, but I dropped the video cable under the dash and secured it near the small fuse box on the door side of the passenger's footwell. I also bundled up the excess wires from the wiring harness and secured them all there with a big zip tie to keep it neat (I will be tidying it up later).

I ran the red power wire through the firewall using the existing "nipples" on the main grommet on the pass side, connected the black earth wire to an existing earth point in the cab and ran the orange reverse signal wire to the driver's side fuse box, to the lower left of the steering wheel. After a quick call to ARB Darwin for some advice, I attached the orange wire to the red wire with white trace.(viewtopic.php?t=12142#p178551) Apparently you can aso use a wire on the passenger's side fuse box (viewtopic.php?t=12460#p263025) but I wasn't aware of it til after.

lais817

Postby lais817 on Fri, 03 May 2013 8:34 +0000

It's a good idea at this stage to check that it all works, I just connected the camera to the wiring harness in the cab and turned the ignition to "on" and lo and behold, I hadn't f@cked it up!. Disconnect it all and work out where you want to run the cabling. ARB Darwin said they use 2 different methods, either through the grommet that your fuel release cable runs through, or the grommet under the passenger's seat which exits near the chassis rail on that side. I chose the latter.

The grommet has a nipple on the outside which is wrapped up INSIDE the convoluted tubing of the existing wiring with electrical tape. CAREFULLY cut the tape with a scalpel or similar, and pull the convoluted tube away from the nipple. I put a bit of electrical tape over the end of the video cable from the camera so it wouldn't get covered in dirt and pushed it up through the nipple from the bottom. I had to use a small piece of hard wire to stretch the nipple as I pushed it though, and a little dishwashing liquid to lubricate the whole operation.

Re-apply the electrical tape to the nipple to make it a bit more water-tight, and decided how to run the cable to the rear of the vehicle (I followed the chassis rail the whole way.) The ARB unit comes with a 6m extension for the camera cable, which should be plenty to run it to wherever you chose to mount the camera.

Make all the connections, test to make sure it works and then seal the connections, with the supplied tape, heat shrink or whatever.

Have a beer and celebrate!

lais817

Postby Thomo55 on Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:59 +0000

Nice.. I put my camera in in a real hurry one ay and just used the wireless option.. will be running the wires in when i get the chance so always good to see an easy way to run it in!!
Thomo55

Postby Fedorgnp on Tue, 25 Jun 2013 8:23 +0000

What's it like after install. Is it worth the trouble.
Fedorgnp

Postby lais817 on Fri, 28 Jun 2013 8:07 +0000

Fedorgnp wrote:What's it like after install. Is it worth the trouble.

Depends what your situation is, I have a canopy and dark tint so I can't see sh!t out the rear window at the best of times. The camera makes reversing around other vehicles and such a lot easier, and I've just discovered that you can actually turn it on when not in reverse, so it can be used if you have a full load in the back and can't see through your rear window (although it probably isn't a good idea to leave it on 24/7).

Sure, there are probaly cheaper units on the market, but this was plug and play and it all worked first go. Sometimes that makes the price okay I guess

lais817

Postby runningman on Sun, 28 Jul 2013 6:11 +0000

Great write up. Can i ask what you paid for the kitbfrom ARB?
runningman

Postby runningman on Sun, 28 Jul 2013 6:34 +0000

Great write up. Can i ask what you paid for the kitbfrom ARB?
runningman

Postby lais817 on Mon, 19 Aug 2013 4:58 +0000

$400 buddy

lais817

Postby mathew8235 on Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:53 +0000

Great write up mate thanks.

How wide is that mirror now? do you have any problems with it hitting the sunvisors? I have found this one online and was thinking about giving it a go.
http://www.elinz.com.au/buy/7-rearview-mirror-monitor-12v-24v-reversing-ccd-camera-truck-caravan/R7MI-RV4PIN20M

Cheers
Mat
mathew8235

Postby peterdc on Tue, 20 Aug 2013 1:54 +0000

Well done, I was a bit lazy and connected my ARB camera to my Hema navigator.
My query however relates to the rear view mirror, I find it is mounted too low.
Is it possible to move it higher up the windscreen or is there some permanent fitting.
Thanks for any advice you might have.

Peter
peterdc

Postby lais817 on Tue, 20 Aug 2013 4:58 +0000

mathew8235 wrote:Great write up mate thanks.

How wide is that mirror now? do you have any problems with it hitting the sunvisors? I have found this one online and was thinking about giving it a go.
http://www.elinz.com.au/buy/7-rearview-mirror-monitor-12v-24v-reversing-ccd-camera-truck-caravan/R7MI-RV4PIN20M

Cheers
Mat

The ARB mirror is 255mm wide, and if you don't have it set right it will hit the sun visors. That Elinz one isn't as wide so you shouldn't have any dramas with the sunvisors

lais817

Postby lais817 on Tue, 20 Aug 2013 5:03 +0000

peterdc wrote:Well done, I was a bit lazy and connected my ARB camera to my Hema navigator.
My query however relates to the rear view mirror, I find it is mounted too low.
Is it possible to move it higher up the windscreen or is there some permanent fitting.
Thanks for any advice you might have.

Peter

Yeah, the ARB mirror is lower than the OEM toyota one, there is a metal "button" glued to the windscreen that the mirror attaches to, the ARB system also comes with a replacement "button". I went and bought the special glue to attach the new ARB one, but when I realised the new mirror would mount to the old one I just left it.

I'm about due for a new windscreen, so I might see if the windscreen guys can glue on the new ARB button a little higher up than the original, and it might stop the buzzing I get sometimes from the mirror as I don't think it fits the Toyota button exactly.

lais817

Postby lais817 on Tue, 20 Aug 2013 5:04 +0000

runningman wrote:Great write up. Can i ask what you paid for the kitbfrom ARB?

That was $400 from ARB Mandurah too mate, I find the prices vary around the country

lais817

Return to General Discussion