Toyota Genuine Reversing Camera Install

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: Toyota Genuine Reversing Camera Install

Postby gahpee on Wed, 16 May 2012 1:18 +0000

I have finally had success and my $13.65 camera is working. The camera connector is indeed the one in the top left of the above pic (thanks aaronpricey). What caught me out was that the video signal must be present before, or at least soon after, the reverse signal is applied. If the video signal is applied too long after the reverse signal then no video will be displayed and it is then necessary to switch the unit off to reset this condition. The only tricky part was connecting the video signal. I made a tiny printed circuit board to take 4 dual wipe connectors salvaged from an ic socket. A simpler solution would be to use 2 small spade connectors (Jaycar PT4520) and slip some 3mm heatshrink over them.

The pinout for the connector is as follows.

gahpee

Postby berniecam on Wed, 16 May 2012 7:33 +0000

OK I am getting a little bit confused' If you are installing a genuine toyota camera into the current 2012 SR5 hilux head unit,exactly what connections do I have to make,is everything plug in or may be not that simple.Do I have to remove half the dash to get at the camera head unit & remove the head unit completely to install it or can you reach the socket from reaching up behind it.Any help from someone who has done it would be very much appreciated THANK YOU. :)
berniecam

Postby gahpee on Thu, 17 May 2012 6:33 +0000

Yes - you have to remove the head unit but this very easy. The plastic surround simply pulls off and there are then 4 screws to remove to release the head unit.

The genuine camera then plugs into the connector on the back. The other connection that is required is to connect the green wire (which should be coiled up behind the head unit) to the reversing light wire. Mattya explains how to do this in an earlier post with pictures. The green wire already has a splice connector on the end of it which you clip over the red/white wire coming out of the drivers side fusebox. This fusebox is behind the plastic panel under the steering wheel.
gahpee

Postby berniecam on Thu, 17 May 2012 5:30 +0000

gahpee wrote:Yes - you have to remove the head unit but this very easy. The plastic surround simply pulls off and there are then 4 screws to remove to release the head unit.

The genuine camera then plugs into the connector on the back. The other connection that is required is to connect the green wire (which should be coiled up behind the head unit) to the reversing light wire. Mattya explains how to do this in an earlier post with pictures. The green wire already has a splice connector on the end of it which you clip over the red/white wire coming out of the drivers side fusebox. This fusebox is behind the plastic panel under the steering wheel.

Hi" gahpee" Thank you for the info I thought there was a lot more to it but that sounds like its a piece of cake.Much appreciated.CHEERS :) :) :)
berniecam

Postby Nick# on Thu, 17 May 2012 8:54 +0000

where does the wire run from at the back of the ute to the head unit? Does it go under the floor mats?
Nick#

Postby gahpee on Fri, 18 May 2012 6:28 +0000

I ran mine under behind the passenger side kick plate, then under the plastic floor plate and then through the grommet under the passenger seat. From there it followed the chassis rail to the rear of the car.
gahpee

Postby Nick# on Sat, 19 May 2012 8:52 +0000

gahpee wrote:I ran mine under behind the passenger side kick plate, then under the plastic floor plate and then through the grommet under the passenger seat. From there it followed the chassis rail to the rear of the car.

Thanks mate, so it shouldnt be too hard.
Cheers
Nick#

Postby 9W6VX on Sun, 27 May 2012 8:34 +0000

Thanks hobo for the reply.

Appreciate it.

hobo wrote:not with the original toyo camera Brendan

i have no idea if there's an aftermarket cam with a sensor built in

it's no problem, you very quickly learn the distance just by looking at the screen how close the object is by how much of the screen it fills up & how much 'ground' you can see between the object & the cam
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Caleb.R on Sat, 02 Jun 2012 7:09 +0000

gahpee wrote:I have finally had success and my $13.65 camera is working. The camera connector is indeed the one in the top left of the above pic (thanks aaronpricey). What caught me out was that the video signal must be present before, or at least soon after, the reverse signal is applied. If the video signal is applied too long after the reverse signal then no video will be displayed and it is then necessary to switch the unit off to reset this condition. The only tricky part was connecting the video signal. I made a tiny printed circuit board to take 4 dual wipe connectors salvaged from an ic socket. A simpler solution would be to use 2 small spade connectors (Jaycar PT4520) and slip some 3mm heatshrink over them.

The pinout for the connector is as follows.

Hey mate

Along with connecting the video signal and video ground on the right hand side of the plug how did you power it? Through the reverse tail light or by using the green wire that connects to red wire?

Thanks
2012 SR5 Hilux
Caleb.R

Postby Caleb.R on Sun, 03 Jun 2012 5:19 +0000

I've got video display but only running off a 12v battery. I wired it up to reverse lights but didn't work :? How else did you guys get your power supply?
2012 SR5 Hilux
Caleb.R

Postby Caleb.R on Sat, 09 Jun 2012 9:39 +0000

Bump guys

Having problems with the supply, camera works on the head unit when connected to a 12V battery but when connected to reverse lights no video image. Got the multimeter onto it and the reverse lights read 11.6V which is enough as the battery only reads 10.6V... Any suggestions guys??

Thanks

Caleb
2012 SR5 Hilux
Caleb.R

Postby berniecam on Fri, 15 Jun 2012 5:34 +0000

gahpee wrote:I ran mine under behind the passenger side kick plate, then under the plastic floor plate and then through the grommet under the passenger seat. From there it followed the chassis rail to the rear of the car.

Hi gahpee just wondering if any toyota techs that have installed the camera in 2012 SR5 dual cabs what is the exact route they take from the head unit to the grommet under passenger seat. I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.I was thinking about it & as the head unit is centered in the dash what about running the camera cable straight down & into the space under the gear stick leavers there is a lot of spare unobstructed space once you remove the gear stick centre cowl top section which is very easy to remove,continue along till you get to about half way under the passenger seat then simply pass the cable under the carpet that is under the seat & get to the floor grommet by that route. To use the kick plate route you would have to pass the cable some where under the carpet in the passenger foot well area in time foot pressure might start to stress the cable constantly under the passengers foot, might in time start to show a baby bump bulge in the carpet in that area.(just trying to design a better mouse trap). Other thoughts about this would be very helpful.CHEERS. :idea:
berniecam

Postby Caleb.R on Fri, 15 Jun 2012 6:10 +0000

Hey mate its much easier to run the cable through behind glove box and down under the scuff plates. Lift the passenger plate off and you'll find there's already a loom running to the grommet, follow that and you'll be sweet ;)
2012 SR5 Hilux
Caleb.R

Postby Rackxp on Fri, 22 Jun 2012 8:31 +0000

Are you guys using 12v camera's or are you using 6v camera's?

I can't seem to find any 6v camera's. Was thinking of just using a 12v camera instead. If i'm reading this correctly I would only need to use the video ground and video signal inputs on the back of the headunit and grab 12v power from elsewhere?

Or if i found a 6v camera i would use all four of the plugs.

Thanks!
Rackxp

Postby stevef on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 12:51 +0000

Hi everyone,

Just want to say thanks to all the people who share their knowledge here. I have just fitted a Toyota rear view camera to my 2012 SR5. All was well until I tested it and when put in reverse nothing happened. The toyota instalation manual that came with the kit was no help except for stating an extra loom may be required. As usual a quick search on newhilux.net and all was revealed. Found the loom was already in place behind the head unit, just connected it as per the instructions on here and now works a treat.

Thanks again

Steve.
stevef

Postby Linc1 on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 3:26 +0000

I am very disapointed in my toyota factory fitted 2012 SR5 reversing camera

in the daytime it is all good, at night its a shocker ,
firstly becouse the display dims it becomes unviewable
secondly the display at night shows up the reflections of the number plate light and tail lights

To use it effectrivily you need to turn off the headlights when reversing,

Is anyone else having this roblem

What i believe should happen at night is the display should not dim when in reverse

regards
Linc1

Postby berniecam on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 7:44 +0000

Linc1 wrote:I am very disapointed in my toyota factory fitted 2012 SR5 reversing camera

in the daytime it is all good, at night its a shocker ,
firstly becouse the display dims it becomes unviewable
secondly the display at night shows up the reflections of the number plate light and tail lights

To use it effectrivily you need to turn off the headlights when reversing,

Is anyone else having this roblem

What i believe should happen at night is the display should not dim when in reverse

regards

Hi Linc1 Actually I was just reading about the problem you speak of in the head unit hand book ( the book that's almost an inch thick) in the last few pages there is mention of almost that exact item on reverse camera at night, so they know it's problem well why not FIX it. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread you can adjust the brightness settings of the head unit but then it is too bright for night use & becomes a distraction. :? CHEERS
berniecam

Postby gahpee on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 5:19 +0000

Sorry to be so long in responding Caleb.R but I have been away and have not been checking this thread. I found my camera was working intermittently when powered from the reversing lights and finally realised that it would always work if I had the car in reverse gear when the engine was started. It appears that when the head unit is first powered up, it checks for the presence of the camera. The solution is to power the camera from the accessories line rather than the reversing lights.
gahpee

Postby hiluxbush on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:30 +0000

Jacko could you tell me where i could get a plug end to suit CN4950 i also have an after market camera Cheers
jacko306 wrote:
Mattya wrote:Image

Check it with a multimeter first! If you don't have a multimeter then you should not be touching your cars wiring. Test light's draw to much current to use on the ECU's these days.

All sorted. Total cost $30. Yes I have a multimeter. I been a electronics tech for 30 years. I made my own plug and used a $29 e bay camera. The factory pin out diagram I got had two locations marked camera input.

What I did learn is my eyes are not what they used to be.
hiluxbush

Postby Caleb.R on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 6:15 +0000

gahpee wrote:Sorry to be so long in responding Caleb.R but I have been away and have not been checking this thread. I found my camera was working intermittently when powered from the reversing lights and finally realised that it would always work if I had the car in reverse gear when the engine was started. It appears that when the head unit is first powered up, it checks for the presence of the camera. The solution is to power the camera from the accessories line rather than the reversing lights.

Hey mate

Yeah I never had any luck with connection from reverse lights, didn't work at all as there was no power to the camera unless it was in reverse like you said. I ended up connected it through a switch directly to the battery but intend on wiring through the ignition too. Which wire did you bridge off for accessory?
2012 SR5 Hilux
Caleb.R

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion