replacement / Spare key and programing

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: replacement / Spare key and programing

Postby ozsurfer on Sun, 11 Sep 2011 4:33 +0000

rad2085 wrote:The other tool you can try is the one listed below. For $30ish you can program keys into the security module. This is how the pricks are stealing all the hilux's. They drill the barrel, place any old hilux key in the key hole and program. Presto in under 30 seconds they have your car started. I found this out by experience when they attempted to steal my hilux. For those of you who have the 2010 SR5 with the blank on the passengers side handle instead of the door lock key hole, all they do is drill a 10mm hole (its only plastic) flat blade screwdriver and turn. A little to easy, I have put a stainless steal 10mm panel in behind mine now. Good luck drilling that out quietly.

The other thing I have done is install my own 4 point immobilizer so now they can program keys as much as they like the vehicle will not start. To reduce the price of the keys all I use now is the immobiliser remote to lock and unlock as well as disarming the immobiliser, then I just use the Toyota keys without the remotes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-L ... 27b6457397

Just though I would share.

So what your saying is they drill the chrome looking blank bit near the door handle where a lock could go. Did you have to pull all the insides out of the door to get in there and put the stainless plate in?

Also, has anybody successfully programmed a replacement key to start the car that has already disconnected the switch at the ignition barrel (the one that kills the key in ignition buzzer).
ozsurfer

Postby rad2085 on Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:36 +0000

Yep they drill out the chrome blank and use the screwdriver to turn the central locking actuator and the actuator thinks a key has done it and then the central locking unlocks all the doors.

Yes I removed the door trim and installed it from the inside of the door. It was a fairly time consuming process to make something fit. But worth it for the peace of mind.
rad2085

Postby k_san on Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:11 +0000

My key only just recently broke, Toyota reckoned it could be $450 for a new remote key, programmed...bugger that! They also said that they dont keep the key code on file when they look up the VIN, that they have to pull the door trim apart to get the code off the lock...

Well i rung around and found a locksmith who sent someone out to me...they grabbed the VIN and rung toyota - who gave them the key code (interesting, because toyota told me they couldnt do that)...he then cut me 2 master keys (one remote and one standard - they are toyota keys) and a third key that was just a metal one (he said was $1.30) programmed - all done in under 20mins - $240.

Toyota sure do know how to try and make a buck...disgusting really!
Cheers

4WD's - Turning round-abouts into over-abouts :)
k_san

Postby dogfish on Thu, 16 Feb 2012 2:02 +0000

Hi,

I just managed to reprogram a transponder from a key found on the beach.

This is what I did:

Ensure all doors are closed
within 35 sec
Remove and re insert MASTER key 5 times
open and close door 6 times (you should hear your key in ignition beeper go off when the door is open ie. no mods)
Remove key from ignition

within 10 sec
Insert new key

Wait at least 60 sec (I think the security light stops flashing after 60 sec?)

I had to try this about 3 times before I got it right.
dogfish

Postby just0 on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 6:46 +0000

* make sure you check the key part # with toyota, as there are a few similar ones for hilux
just0

Postby MarkYounger on Wed, 04 Apr 2012 9:43 +0000

dogfish wrote:Hi,

This is what I did:

within 35 sec
open and close door 6 times (you should hear your key in ignition beeper go off when the door is open ie. no mods)
Remove key from ignition

within 10 sec
Insert new key

Just did this and it is legit! Which is awesome cause Toyota wanted around $400 for a key cut and programed I paid $95 for the key around $15 to cut saving around $290. Now to program the keyless entry buttons.
Check out my build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10969
MarkYounger

Postby Mausy32 on Thu, 05 Apr 2012 8:54 +0000

Thanks for the heads up as with the other replies I have justed looked into a replacment key and the quote nearly gave me a bloody stroke!!!! $450 for the key, $50 to cut and then $80 to program - must be a hell of a key!

Cheers for this very helpful info.
Mausy32

Postby Hemmer on Tue, 24 Apr 2012 3:58 +0000

I might just add my experiences to this thread...
Dual Cab 2005 SR

I got my replacement transponder key off eBay from the Thai manufacturer c.$80 + delivery $15 (I think - very quick turnaround - Ordered Saturday received Tues to Tassie)

ES MUCHO IMPORTANTE ->Check the code on the inside of your existing key and buy the blank with the same chip model code called "MDL CODE ....Image

Mine as per the this pic is MDL B41TA

Image.
The eBay guy I got mine from lists the different codes on the auction. Search his shop inventory if you can't find it by eBay's search tool. His seller name is" kbank477"

You will need you most powerful superman reading glasses or be in your 20's to read the code.

Once the correct MDL CODE key is bought, get it cut. Cost me $6.50 at locksmiths.

The doors and ignition require 2 different programming routines but if you have the wrong chip model, you will only be able to program the fob to open and close the doors. The ignition transponder will not be programmable.

I programmed the doors first

Setting the door buttons
Get in the car.... NO key in ignition -> leave the door open

insert and remove the key x 2 within 5 seconds (I used the newly cut key)
close then open drivers door x 2 (this will leave the door open at the end of this little routine)
insert and remove the key x 1
close then open drivers door x 2
take a small 2 second break
close then open drivers door x 2
insert key and close the drivers door
small 1 to 2 second rest
turn the key on as far as it will go without stating engine and turn back to start then remove the key. - This activates the programming mode. Another way to describe this routine would be to say " turn the ignition on and off once without starting the car, then remove the key from the ignition".
The car doors should auto lock then unlock - once. This is confirmation that the programming mode is active. If doors auto lock twice or not at all, start again. Twice is confirmation of failure.

Now with the programming mode on within 40 secs push both LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time ...wait a second then press the LOCK button by itself
The doors should lock and unlock by themselves once to confirm success. Twice is failure - begin again.
Once you have a success confirmation....put the key into the ignition or open the drivers door and it's done.
Open and lock doors with new key to confirm.
Took me only one go but keep trying if it doesn't work first time.

Setting the ignition key.
Get in and close the doors
Put the Master key in the ignition
-> then remove and insert 4 times
leave key in the ignition after the 4th
Open and close the drivers door x 6
Remove Master key and insert replacement key....then wait.

The red security light flashes quickly 4 times...don't worry if you miss it, just wait....after a minute it suddenly goes out.

Start engine to test. ..... PUT FOOT ON CLUTCH before engaging engine. LOL. I was so focused on programming new key, I forgot and nearly drove Hilux into the garden.
Last edited by Hemmer on Tue, 24 Apr 2012 8:41 +0000, edited 7 times in total.
Hemmer

Postby tomed101 on Tue, 24 Apr 2012 4:55 +0000

Just tried this, after attempting several other methods without success, and this one worked!!! I was lucky that the key I bought off eBay had the right code. I didn't even think to check that before I bought it! Thanks.
tomed101

Postby Qwerty on Fri, 18 May 2012 9:04 +0000

HI Guys,

So I can buy a proper key (with buttons) from eBay ... get it cut identical to my existing black master key ... and then program it with the above mentioned process?

Toyota want $500+ to replace my lost master key (i have one master key left which knowing murphys law, i could lose!)

WHich of these might be appropriate? (how does one check that MDL number)

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... =hilux+key
Qwerty

Postby Qwerty on Fri, 18 May 2012 9:25 +0000

ps what is the best way to pull apart my existing key, any secrets to it? (I dont really want to snap plastic clips trying!)
Qwerty

Postby ng_newbie on Fri, 18 May 2012 10:49 +0000

Hey Qwerty

All gr8 questions well asked :)

Can we get the MDL CODE without opening the key ???

I just bought my 2012 Lux, is this # in the paperwork somewhere ???

The ebay sellers says 11 ( 2011 I assume ) in the ad. - but not 2012 ???

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0833802711

NG
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Postby MarkYounger on Fri, 18 May 2012 10:50 +0000

MarkYounger wrote:
dogfish wrote:Hi,

This is what I did:

within 35 sec
Remove key from ignition

within 10 sec
Insert new key

Then I went to the web site provided on the first page to program buttons. http://toyota.esealtd.com/toyota/hilux/ ... z000x.html

As far as pulling apart the key my original was already broken and glued back together so can't help ya.
Last edited by MarkYounger on Fri, 18 May 2012 10:55 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10969
MarkYounger

Postby hobo on Fri, 18 May 2012 10:51 +0000

Qwerty wrote:ps what is the best way to pull apart my existing key, any secrets to it? (I dont really want to snap plastic clips trying!)

flat bladed screwdriver in here and rotate gently
that'll split the case ajar then you can pull the rest of the 2 halves apart
;)
hobo

Postby ng_newbie on Fri, 18 May 2012 11:01 +0000

Hey Hobo

Thxs for the heads up works a treat, so that is what that hole is 4 :idea:

NG

My key is - B41TH - 2012 SR5 -> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0845288777
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Postby BB1 on Wed, 14 Nov 2012 8:45 +0000

Just a little heads up with the replacement remote keys from Thailand

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 500wt_1180

I bought one for a 2011/2012 CHIP# MDL B41TH

The key arrived very quickly and is the correct "G" key with the correct transponder chip however..........

The Chip for the remote door locking was incorrect - they sent it fitted with a B41TA not a B41TH.

Bloody annoying and now not getting any response from them about correcting this.
BB1

Postby ng_newbie on Wed, 14 Nov 2012 9:07 +0000

Hey BB1

Sorry to hear you are having problems, I always use the 'Asked them a question' before I buy anything from a eBay seller & they did not reply to the question, so I did not buy from them.

I hope you used a credit card for the purchase ?

If you did go to the Bank for a 'Charge Back'. eBay will get upset about this but there is nothing they can do :)

NG
ng_newbie

Postby lux111 on Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:24 +0000

Ive been a locksmith for a few years now i do alot of automotive and a few hiluxs they are rediculously pricey from toyota its such a easy prosses to do yourself and not to expensive
lux111

Postby ng_newbie on Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:51 +0000

Hey BB

I have sent them another question asking about the B41TH,

Tanin replied with

"http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-HILUX-VIGO-2011-2012-REMOTE-KEY-KEYLESS-UNCUT-ORIGINAL-89070-0K460-/181010691711?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2513f67f

MDL B41TH and B44TH are the same chip"

This is a bit confusing as I asked them to reply with a link to a ebay page so I can order a B41TH clearly says you need to have a B44TH.

Plus the page does not say the key is compatible with B41 is a worry :(

I'm not getting a lot of warm fuzzys from these guys !!!

Maybe try the key before sending it back.

NG
ng_newbie

Postby BB1 on Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:59 +0000

Update:

Previous to my post I have been working with Ray from All Remotes and Keys in Brisbane - he's an old school good guy in the trade - he has the gadgets needed to check the frequencies of the chips etc. Ray has also never heard of a B44TH key.

Ray confirmed the Key is the correct "G" key with the right transponder BUT the remote lock/unlock chip is the wrong frequency. The Ebay key had a B41TA chip when it should have been a B41TH

I opened a paypal dispute today and that prompted a reply:

"MDL B41TH and MDL B44TH are the same
but MDL B41TH and MDL B41TA is different"

I explained that the chip was wrong that he sent and included a pic of the key he sent and my existing key.

He's now replied with this:

"ok I will order the correct complete key now and I will send them to you in 3-5 days"

I'm not holding my breath but if he doesnt send the correct Key then I'll up the dispute to a refund request!
BB1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion