Lader Rack on Hard lid ( ALL DONE )

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Lader Rack on Hard lid ( ALL DONE )

Postby Diegothecat on Tue, 19 Jan 2010 6:28 +0000

Hey Iv been needing a ladder rack for my ute for some time now and iv have now purchased another SR5 sports bar than im going to use for the rear rack.

My question has anyone else tried this? I saw a TRD Hilux the other day with it done but it was on the high way so i couldnt have a closer look.

My plan is to pull apart the sports bar and only use the front section then put the bar as far back as possible so the bar sits not only on the sides of the tub but a little on the rear as well. Im going to drill 2 holes on each side of the lid and use the original mounting holes of the bar, ill put a section of plate steal on the underside of the hard lid to help disperse the load not that it will be very large.

So has anyone seen this done b4?

Cheers Ben
Last edited by Diegothecat on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 1:49 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Re: Lader Rack on Hard lid

Postby Alby on Tue, 19 Jan 2010 6:58 +0000

There is one around my way that i have seen a few times. He has used the same diametre bar but only half as wide so it sits in the middle of the hardtop at the back and it is only half the height as well.

Looks quite ok, not sure if that is what you mean after though?
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Re: Lader Rack on Hard lid

Postby Diegothecat on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 1:37 +0000

Well iv done it, I scored another SR5 roll bar of ebay for only $60 and went ahead to make the rear bar fit.

After i marked up where the bolt holes go on the hard lid, placing the bar on the lid and tracing around it. I used the mounting brackets that come with the bars to mark out exactly where the holes go.

I then made up steal plates that fit into the area at the back near the lock. I used 5mm steel as that was all I had. I decided to make the plates to help secure the bar against wind resistance and it also helps disperse the load from what ever i place on it as I amde the steel go across to the side of the tray.

I pealed back the foam tape around the edges of the lid so the steel could sit closer to the lid as Im very restricted for height in my garage so every mm counted.

I then removed the locking mech and attached the steal plates.

When the bar isn't fitted i have fitted some dome nuts and nylon washers ( ill try and get rubber one ) to the bolts to help keep the water out, also to help keep the steel attached to the lid.

And the bar fitted

Now all I have to do i wait and see how long it lasts, Im pretty sure it will be fine.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Re: Lader Rack on Hard lid ( ALL DONE )

Postby H20PRF on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 3:52 +0000

mate job well done, as long as the Plates are wide enough to take the weight shes all kool ! so is it a perm job or temporary for when you want a latter on it ?

Daz
H20PRF

Postby Diegothecat on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 4:06 +0000

Thanks Daz Im glad you like it

The plates should be they go across the ute tub by at least 25mm on the sides and on the rear, that is why I installed it so much to the rear.

Im not too sure, I was thinking temp but i think i like the look of it, the only drama is that it only just scrapes in my garage i even had to remove part of my pannel lift door just to get it in.

I also very happy with the black powder coated bars only drama is that i can just see that they will scratch very easily.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby Steve9R on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 4:52 +0000

i run the rear ladder rack on mine. not on a hard lid though.. i dont know, but i reckon you might develop cracking on your hard lid due to the gap and flex of the rear bar ?...

Ive got mine with a flat plate welded on the bottom and a brace to the OEM roll bar and then bolted through the top of the actual tub in multiple places.

Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby D4D Hilux on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 5:10 +0000

not sure how much weight you will be able to carry with that setup, not much i wouldnt think...... and how do you get into your tub with a ladder tied down on the rack???

I run a rear ladder rack, but Ive had to remove the hard lid and replace it with a roller shutter type lid, very effective and can handle a good load......

Good effort though mate, will be interesting to see how it goes
Cheers, Ryan

07 SR5 Hilux D4D
D4D Hilux

Postby Diegothecat on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 5:41 +0000

yea just alloy ladders, I like to go a roller shutter but when i ordered my lid at toyota they made me purchase it even tho it wasnt installed, as i did want a shutter.

Now i got the lid im going to try and make the most of it.

I only need to get ladders to and from site its not going to have a ladder on there for any length of time. I usually carry a 6 ft ladder in the tray but sometimes I need something a little bigger.

The real test will be on Monday as i got to grab a 12ft ladder. This should be interesting. :shock:
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby Steve9R on Sun, 21 Feb 2010 12:44 +0000

other problem will be that it'll make the lid really heavy.. i doubt those struts would be able to hold it up at all..

see how you go though.. I had the hard lid on mine originally, but pissed it off and put the roller lid setup on mine too.. never looked back..
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby KTM525EXC on Sun, 21 Feb 2010 12:52 +0000

looks gr8 :D love the black finish :D

Cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby twinturbo007 on Fri, 14 Jan 2011 8:13 +0000

Hiya, I have a 06 SR5 and have the front nudge bar with front removable rack for carrying long loads.
The good news is whenit is not on the car, it looks like a pretty mean and when its on the car, mmmmm looks trady of course.
So
my goal is to do this, use a spare SR5 bar for the rear mounting rack right at the back of the car and have it mounted in a way that it can be removed as easily as my front bar can be removed, ie two sleeves with wing nut do up threads.

This would give me a 5-6m carrying capacity, and normally these loads are not overly heavy, ie 100kgs tops.
The other issue is the middle sports bar looks like it runs a bit low as well, meaning I may need to add a spacer so the roof of the vehicle does not get damaged by my load.

The front nudge bar is coming off my other hilux work mate and that looks like it will fit will so all good news as far as height.

Any ideas on this one, pls email me to brenton@posnav.com.au

I especially am interested in if the rear bar idea works effectively.

cheers
Brenton
Adelaide SA
twinturbo007

Postby Steve9R on Sat, 15 Jan 2011 4:35 +0000

yep.. check out my shed, i made the rear roll bar from the front hoop of a spare sr5 bar, welded some plates on the bottom and have two bolts either side so i can remove it when not required.. best of both worlds..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Diegothecat on Sat, 15 Jan 2011 6:45 +0000

Yea you will definitely need something on the standard position sports bar as they just arnt high enough an you will hurt the roof of the cab. I used a 50mm high and around 700mm long piece of uni strut with 2 x eyelet loops as tie downs. I dont think i have a picture of it but it works a treat.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby Diegothecat on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 7:05 +0000

Just to re cap I love this mod, I really dont understand why others dont do it.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby hilux_bondy_007 on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 7:25 +0000

I looked at it and didn't like angle of single bar
hilux_bondy_007

Return to General Discussion