Another Newby!

Another Newby!

Postby Sideways on Mon, 06 Dec 2010 5:39 +0000

Hi all,
yet another Newby here so be gentle :)
I've enjoyed reading through many of the threads already in the short time since joining the forum. I hope I can also contribute positively to the forum as time goes on.
My background is from rallying rather than 4WD'ing (hence the name...) but over the years I've owned just about every brand of jap dual-cab 4x4 made and used them for towing race cars and ski boats to the occasional off-road and High Country trip - no genuine favourites, they all have their strengths and weaknesses.
I guess this brings me to why I've joined the forum - I'm due in the New Year for a new (or more likely, near-new) dual cab and have a Hilux in my sights :)
A Tundra was my ideal choice (like a few others here I'm sure...) but while cheap to purchase and easy to get shipped here, the conversion and compliance cost was ludicrous :(
Soooo, given I need a good tow-car (ie: not slow) that doesn't require real hardcore offroad ability, I'll be reading threads about 'quick' Hiluxes with interest. The Tundra is the clue to the direction I'm heading.......
Thanks guys and I hope I can contribute the odd bit of useful info.

Cheers, S
Good drivers have dead bugs on the side windows..........
Sideways

Re: Another Newby!

Postby Alby on Mon, 06 Dec 2010 5:52 +0000

Welcome mate, there is a bit of something for everyone here so enjoy having a look around.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Another Newby!

Postby KTM525EXC on Mon, 06 Dec 2010 7:43 +0000

Hey m8

Welcome to the site, were you looking down the line of supercharged petrol power? Or just petrol or our d4d's?

Cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby jap on Mon, 06 Dec 2010 7:46 +0000

Welcome to NewHilux :lol:
The Quickest TRD Hilux in Australia - 13.690 @ 100.56mph
True Bolt-On Power, Performance & Reliability

Traded for:

BT50 D/C 3.2l Auto - TJM Deluxe Bullbar - TJM Rear Step - TJM Canopy - Airtec Snorkel
jap

Postby Sideways on Mon, 06 Dec 2010 8:22 +0000

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Troy - I've driven a mate's TRD many times, so I'd certainly consider a petrol blower. Also driven quite a few d4d's and (at the risk of upsetting existing any forum members) they simply don't cut it for my needs. :(
Prior to our dual-cabs, our main tow vehicles were V8 (big $$$$$ Engined) F100's which were complete and utter pigs to drive but even fully loaded, would tow anything at any speed I wanted and hills simply didn't exist.
I love everything about the new 'Lux' but the power, or lack thereof.....
Given our motorsport background, fabrication and engineering is no issue and dealing with hand-built vehicles is pretty normal for us but just need to decide whether a force-fed 6 will be sufficient or a late model 8 (Jap or Oz) is viable in a current Lux.

Cheers, S
Sideways

Postby KTM525EXC on Mon, 06 Dec 2010 10:29 +0000

1uz conversion sounds good to me 8-) hahaha Matt from monter rides looked at doing it to his rig when his D4D went bang but he ended up rebuilding the D4D. yeah the D4D isnt for everyone as the same for petrol, the choice has to suit your needs :ugeek: however the twin turbo v8 D4D in the 200 series put that in a lux thats my wet dream hahahahaha

cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Sideways on Tue, 07 Dec 2010 7:02 +0000

If I was hardcore offroad or heading off around Oz, then the D4D would definitely be the choice but once you've owned a decent V8 and towing is the main gig, its hard to look at anything else. It's a real shame the Tundra isn't viable as it's the perfect beast for me........still researching how to get one done though :)
Sideways

Postby helmut79 on Tue, 07 Dec 2010 7:06 +0000

What about the TRD? Search up Jap's build his TRD is not bad :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Return to Introductions