New to 4WDing

New to 4WDing

Postby ieattrolls08 on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 7:40 +0000

Hey guys,

I purchased a new 2017 SR5 back in November, and I am relatively new to the 4WD scene.

My rig is still factory, haven’t really done any mods to it.

There is a neat camping spot up here close to where I live where I used to go to as a kid. The only issue is that it is on the beach and I have no sand driving experience. I am keen to get in there, but I am unsure on a few things – could I please grab some input?

I have some shitty highway Dunlop tyres that come with the car, which I don’t think will be any good on the sand. I am looking at fitting a set of BFGoodrich A/T tyres – will this be the go?

Also tyre pressures on sand? I’m assuming that I’d need to drop them right down. Or would I be right to drive on 30psi?

Cheers, Jordan
ieattrolls08

New to 4WDing

Postby Tyler1993 on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 7:53 +0000

Hey mate, highway tyres are actually surprisingly good on sand. But upgrading to all terrains is your best bet for down the track anyway.
Depends how soft the sand is, sometimes you don’t need to at all, but if it’s abit softer and you find the car struggling/bogging down then yeah start loosing some psi. Around 15 is good for soft sand, I wouldn’t go much lower myself.

Also make sure you throw in a shovel and a set of recovery tracks!

Enjoy! Theres alway something a little special about driving down the beach.
Make sure to throw up some photos for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler1993

Re: New to 4WDing

Postby HK1837 on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 8:26 +0000

Manual or auto? Use low range especially with auto, and make it work. If it feels like the engine is doing it easy it means the torque converter isn’t and will be cooking the fluid. Best bet is to fit an aux transmission cooler if auto, very cheap insurance.
Highway tyres will be fine on sand. Buy a compressor too unless there is a servo at the beach.
HK1837

Postby ieattrolls08 on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 8:40 +0000

Sorry forgot to add, it is manual.

I am assuming that low range/high range will depend on how soft the sand is? I guess I will work out what is best when I am out there.
ieattrolls08

Postby Marsh on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 10:13 +0000

ieattrolls08 wrote:Sorry forgot to add, it is manual.

I am assuming that low range/high range will depend on how soft the sand is? I guess I will work out what is best when I am out there.

A tip for sand driving - turn vsc and trc off! They will cause you to lose momentum by applying the brakes when wheel slippage is detected. Some explanations of the systems:

http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation ... e/vsc.html

http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation ... e/trc.html

In my manual N70 it's automatically disengaged in low range. In high range you need to hold the traction control switch for 10 seconds.

I personally prefer high range in sand but use low if it's particularly gnarly. YMMV
Last edited by Marsh on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 10:21 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Marsh

Postby Marsh on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 10:14 +0000

Also, +1 for recovery gear. Buy some MaxTrax!
Marsh

Postby Toeknee2 on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 4:08 +0000

Hey Jordan.
If your in low gear with the locker on and have your tyres at 15PSI I can't imagine you getting stuck in any sand. The car should just crawl through the soft stuff, no need to boot it.
A shovel is a must, tracks would be nice.
Toeknee2

Postby Critter350 on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 4:12 +0000

It’s great that your asking and there’s a lot of experience on here. Keep in mind though people get experience from trying stuff out and failing, so don’t be scared to give things a go but be mindful of what might happen if things don’t go as planned. For example, being on the waters edge with the tide coming in is not the time discover your tyres are too hard! Head out with a friend, stay on the dry sand above high tide mark, go when the tide is on its way out not coming in, good tips for starters.

Highway tyres are fine on sand with the right pressure.
Hard tyres sink in the sand, then your tyre is always trying to climb out (ie go up a steep hill). When you see corrugations in the sand it’s from tyres that are too hard doing a spin and climb cycle. Try this - drive along the beach and put your foot on the clutch. How long does it take you to pull up? If it feels like it’s plowing in, let them down some more.
I run 11psi on the beach, but I usually stay below 40km, avoid sharp turns but still have some fun. When I put my foot on the clutch, the car keeps rolling and comes to a gentle stop.

Get yourself a shovel and snatch strap, and make sure there’s something decent to attach to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Critter350

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 13 Jan 2018 7:43 +0000

G'Day Jordan and welcome to the forum

Great intro there.
I've posted a link below using the "search here" search box above
sand driving

This forum contains an almost endless array of knowledge about the Toyota Hilux and over the years a lot of topics, questions and issues have been addressed. In order to get the most out of the forum and in an attempt to try and keep the information in an organised (well semi :lol: ) manner, please utilise the search function at the top of the page and ask your questions or contribute to existing threads as much as possible.

Here are some useful links to help you get the most out of this forum.

Search
Advanced Search
Search Members Shed's (Start your own shed 8-) Its easy)
How to post pictures
Sandpit - An area for new members to experiment with posting pictures
Budget mods $50 or less - quick cheap awesome mods to get you started
Forum Directory (BIBLE WIP) - quick links to popular stuff
Oh and the Forum Guidelines, Forum Guidelines

Happy searching and posting
DeadlyBeast

Return to Introductions